Residence period for Citizenship

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
plethall

Post by plethall » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:06 am

Hi,

I have a question regarding the reqiuired residence period to be able to apply for citizenship.

I've been living in Finland for last 7 years, (first 2 years on B and 5 years on A residence period). And recently received my permanant residence permit. Everything looks great until here. However, maaistraati is missing 1.5 years (Jan 2008-May 2009) of my stay in their system for whatever reason even though I have been living here in Finland during all these 7 years, with occassional holiday trips abroad lasting only few weeks at most.

Now the question is will the missing part in maaistraati affect my application? How can I prove that I was living during this whole time in Finland? Will my application go straight to the slow queue because of this?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rip

Re: Residence period for Citizenship

Post by Rip » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:57 am

Peculiar and I don't understand how did that happen... My first idea would be to contact maistraatti and try to find out how did you end up in this situation and can the records be fixed now. I presume for example the tax office had no problem in contacting you during that time?

plethall

Post by plethall » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:07 am

Thanks for chiping in 'Rip'-

I did contact maistraatti and they don't know how it happend nor can it be fixed now. The tax office didn't contact me during that time. Perhaps, because they did get my tax and all so they didnt have to worry.

One more addition to my situation that I worked full-time here in Finland (on A residence permit) during the missing period and paid all taxes etc.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:03 pm

Well, if you were working or studying you got some proof of existence otherwise. Likewise as said, the tax office has records... Question as to why... did you move in between? Indeed its better to go to the maistraatti and ask whats the issue.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Rip

Post by Rip » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:49 pm

plethall wrote:Thanks for chiping in 'Rip'-
I did contact maistraatti and they don't know how it happend nor can it be fixed now.
But they should have information of the kind "moved away to X on January Y, 2008"(?)

Anyway, it seems to me they have an obligation to fix erroneous data.
4 LUKU
Kotikuntaa ja väestökirjanpitokuntaa koskevan merkinnän korjaus (22.12.1995/1650)
16 §
Asiavirheen korjaus

Jos 9 ja 10 §:n nojalla tehty kotikuntaa tai siellä olevaa asuinpaikkaa, tilapäistä asuinpaikkaa taikka väestökirjanpitokuntaa koskeva merkintä perustuu virheelliseen tai puutteelliseen selvitykseen taikka väärään lain soveltamiseen, merkinnän tehnyt maistraatti voi omasta aloitteestaan tai sen vaatimuksesta, jota merkintä koskee, korjata virheen. Ennen kuin maistraatti korjaa virheen omasta aloitteestaan, sen on varattava sille, jota merkintä koskee, tilaisuus antaa määräajassa selvitys asiasta. Määräajan laiminlyöminen ei ole esteenä virheen korjaukselle. (9.7.2004/624)

Jos maistraatti korjaa virheen omasta aloitteestaan asianomaisen henkilön käsityksen vastaisesti tai ei hyväksy hänen tekemäänsä vaatimusta virheen korjauksesta, sen on pyynnöstä annettava asiasta kirjallinen päätös muutoksenhakuosoituksineen. (10.12.2010/1095)
http://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/1994/19940201

I'd make written request (with suitable documentation) on the issue. If you just verbally ask it, it is easy to them to say "No, can't do", but a written request they have to actually consider and give a formal written reply as well. Doing what you ask may suddenly seem the easiest option for them.

If you don't, then yes, I see clear risk that while you would most likely get your citizenship, it would happen through the slow queue for cases with problems in them. Besides, as the laws are now, if you manage to straighten the magistrate records after you death your kids (inheritors) would be saved the trouble that a gap in your known official places of domicile would cause them in collecting the paperwork they need.
The tax office didn't contact me during that time. Perhaps, because they did get my tax and all so they didnt have to worry.

I meant they had an address (which they take, unless you have explicitly informed them otherwise, from maistraatti data) where to send your tax cards and reports. In that sense, they did contact you and send you at least two "letters", right?

ktrnc

Post by ktrnc » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:35 pm

Hi @plethall, could you provide an update on how your situation was resolved in the end? I am now in a similar situation, so wondering what are my chances for citizenship.

Thanks in advance.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:22 pm

toystory wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:47 pm
Hi, I would like to know also, does migri only look at permanent address maintained in with maistraatti or does it also look at temporary addresses?
https://migri.fi/en/how-to-calculate-th ... -residence

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:14 am

finnlander wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:03 am
This calculator does not tell us where the residence data comes from and how absences are reported. Is it only the address/addresses registered with the maistraatti office and the records held there for the past few years that become proof of continuous residence. Or does migri check flight data on their own or some other way to determine the length of stay?
If the population register data is incorrect, it would be more logical to get it fixed in the population register than trying to convince Migri about it. Public sector does not keep records of flights taken. Any absences over three months must be reported to the population register and you are required to be truthful in your application. If they later find out you have lied, your citizenship can be cancelled.