Aliens passport for a child born in Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
clarissa

Post by clarissa » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:40 pm

I want to ask if anyone has had experience with this topic.
My baby was born in Finland at the end of July. Me and my husband are both citizens of a non-EU country and our country has no embassy in Scandinavia and the closest one is in Germany, for this reason we made an application for an Aliens passport for our child at the beginning of September. We kind of need to go to our home country due to family reasons, but we have no idea how long that passport will take. Together with the passport application we made the application for the baby's residence permit and our owns. I have called a couple of time to inmigration inquiring about its status and we have also sent a letter explaining our situation in the hope that it would help to hasten the process. I was hoping the baby's permit would arrive together with ours and assumed the passport would not take longer after that but last week we received our residence permits and the baby's one was not included, apparently it is processed in a different office (in Helsinki). Some people has told me that the pasport can take several months to arrive so I wanted to ask if anyone know how long the process could take and if there is any way to help to make it faster or at least to have some certainty on when we can organize the trip to our country. Thanks!!!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Flossy1978

Re: Aliens passport for a child born in Finland

Post by Flossy1978 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:37 am

Nothing.

Keep harassing them and they could even make the process last longer.

In the olden days they even wrote on the papers 'do not call enquiring about the process of your permit. It can set the process back'. Wording like this. It was a warning. 'You annoy us, we'll make it take even longer'.

You just wait.

The immigration department doesn't care about your stuff back home in your own country, sorry.

Rip

Post by Rip » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:50 am

Did you check with that embassy in Germany, that you really can't acquire the passport via them? That it is merely difficult is not a reason enough to get an alien passport.

http://www.migri.fi/moving_to_finland_t ... s_passport

Huy

Post by Huy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:23 am

Have you asked them about the emergency passports?

Does your non-EU country have a consulate in the Nordics?

Have you spoken to anyone from the german embassy about your choices?
▬­­­­­­­­­­­­­­~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­
Älä tyri nyt, älä lyö yli nyt, älä antaudu angstin valtaan.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:34 am

Well, if the baby needs to be present at the embassy to get a passport, the baby can't travel to Germany without a passport, the Germans have nothing to do with it except for the embassy being there, the baby is resident in Finland, so an Aliens passport is quite the only logical answer.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Huy

Post by Huy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:57 am

I meant, if they have spoken to their embassy in Germany.
I am sure they know what to do in this situation, and what choices exist.

Rip

Post by Rip » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:00 pm

Pursuivant wrote:Well, if the baby needs to be present at the embassy to get a passport, the baby can't travel to Germany without a passport, the Germans have nothing to do with it except for the embassy being there, the baby is resident in Finland, so an Aliens passport is quite the only logical answer.
Migri page mentions the need to travel to one's home country in order to get the passport as a valid excuse. I don't know, but I have hunch that they do not like to issue aliens passports to citizens to every country that has no embassy in Helsinki (or does not issue passports there). The logical place to start inquiries the nearest embassy/or the one that can issue passports - and it is unclear if OP has done that.

clarissa

Post by clarissa » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:50 pm

Rip wrote:I have hunch that they do not like to issue aliens passports to citizens to every country that has no embassy in Helsinki
It is not about whether they like it or not. Before, when they put the baby under the mother's passport it would have been easier, but now babies need to have their own passport. In this case they have to do it because the baby was born in Finland to legal residents. As many other countries, we have no embassy here so it is not just difficult, but impossible to obtain a passport from our home country because by all means (as in practically every country) the passport applicant has to be present at the time of the application.

I was not asking if the passport would be granted, I know in this case it has to be granted. I had 9 months to do my homework and research how things work. I did called to my closest embassy, to immigration and read all the related documentation. My question was how long that process would take because that you can never know for sure with bureaucratic processes. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to answer.

Huy

Post by Huy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:31 pm

Just to help others whom might be in your situation later,
what did they tell you at the Embassy? What did Migri say?
Spill out the beans so others can benefit from your experience.

clarissa

Post by clarissa » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:37 pm

Well, I first made sure that Alien's passport was the only way. I called my embassy in Germany to ask if I could do the process without taking the baby there, but they said it was not possible. They said the Finnish authorities have to issue a travel document for the baby since he was born here. They said that it's what other countries usually do.

Then I asked in my local immigration office but the person there didn't seem to know anything about it and she said I might had to do the process in Helsinki. Since it is a 4 hours trip from Kuopio to Helsinki I called the inmigration office in Helsinki and they said that the application can actually be done in the local office. Next time I took all the documentation the is asked in the website for the passport application, which includes a letter explaning the reasons why the passport is needed. They didn't ask much, but they said that I also had to do the the application for the baby's residence permit at the same time.

The baby's permit is usually not necessary until the baby turns 1, but it is a requeriment to get the passport, that is why in this case we could not ask for an emergency passport. That makes the process longer, slower and more expensive. They only process the passport once the residence permit is ready, but the worst part that the whole process is not done in the local office, but sent to the inmigration office in Helsinki where it goes to queue with all other hundreds of residence permit applications :(. Some people said it can take between 3 to 5 months which is ridiculous long time for a passport to be issued, but since we have no other option all we can do is waiting and complaining of such non-sense.

Rip

Post by Rip » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:04 am

Ok, thanks for clarifying. I would have thought there would have been some easier proper way as likely nobody in official capacity will ever even look at the passport (unless the embassy in Germany is interested) after you got it. Sorry, nothing to help...

clarissa

Post by clarissa » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:37 am

In case someone with a similar situations want to know, it took 2 month and a half to receive the passport. We called like every 2 weeks or so, to ask about the situation. We also send a letter explaining the situation and why we needed the process to be hastened. I don't know if all that worked, but my a friend's coworker also applied on the same bases and for them it took 4 months.

ZK22

Post by ZK22 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:57 pm

hello!
i would like to ask if my child who was born here can use her ALIEN's passport to go HOME in our home country and apply there her passport instead of applying it to our EMBASSY IN NORWAY?
could some one help me if its possible since WE're planning to go home using my child's aliens passport since her Father is living there and she wants to see our child soonest and getting a passport at our embassy in norway is a long process..

biscayne

Post by biscayne » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:03 pm

Not to dispute what you have said, but it still seems strange. My baby (big one now) was born in her dad's country, of which I was not a citizen, and that country was not in the EU at the time. Because I was not married to her father at the time of her birth, his country did not immediately recognise paternity - he had to go and "declare" it. But there was quite a waiting list for that, as about 50% of babies in his country are born outside of legal marriage. My country had no embassy. As his country did not recognise her as a citizen until the paternity was declared, she had no passport etc. The nearest embassy of my country was Vienna. We drove there with her birth certificate, photo of her, my passport and my birth certificate, just in case. Her passport was provided then and there, on the spot, she was added to something called the "foreign registry of births" for my country, we drove back, end of story.

Point being, I am not aware that a baby needs to be actually present in the passport office or embassy. A baby, by default, cannot sign anything etc., so once you have your papers proving your baby's right to citizenship of your country, plus a notarized copy of the extract from the birth register as Finland does not have birth certificates, you could just take a cheap flight over to Germany, visit your embassy on a pre-arranged appointment and do it all there? Surely this would work?

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:05 am

Processing times is 5 months like Migri estimates: http://www.migri.fi/our_services/proces ... ents_25354