Did I pass in Yki testi?

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
sponix

Did I pass in Yki testi?

Post by sponix » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:30 am

I did recently Yki testi but now I have this doubt because Im not sure If passed or no.

Puheen Ymmärtäminen alle 3

Puhuminen 3
tekstin ymmärtäminen 3
kirjoittaminen 3

I did some research and I found that: " To meet the language requirement, you must get at least grade 3 on the test. "
Speaking (3) and writing (3)
OR

Listening comprehension (3) and writing (3)
OR

Reading comprehension (3) and speaking (3)

but then I got confused with this:

Along the decree on the National Certificate of Language Proficiency (1109/2011) the general level of language has been removed from the certificate following 1.12.2011. If you have completed the National Certificate of Language Proficiency between 2002 and 2011, the general level of language proficiency indicated on your certificate must be no less than 3. If it is less than 3, that certificate is not sufficient for being granted citizenship. For detailed information on the test grades prior to 2002 and it’s correspondence look here. More information on the language requirements for applying for citizenship, please consult the Finnish Immigration service.

Will I be able to be finnish?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Greetings.

Enjoy the moments life offers you

Did I pass in Yki testi?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Upphew

Re: Did I pass in Yki testi?

Post by Upphew » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:27 pm

sponix wrote:I did recently Yki testi but now I have this doubt because Im not sure If passed or no.

Puheen Ymmärtäminen alle 3

Puhuminen 3
tekstin ymmärtäminen 3
kirjoittaminen 3

I did some research and I found that: " To meet the language requirement, you must get at least grade 3 on the test. "
Speaking (3) and writing (3)
OR

Listening comprehension (3) and writing (3)
OR

Reading comprehension (3) and speaking (3)

but then I got confused with this:

Along the decree on the National Certificate of Language Proficiency (1109/2011) the general level of language has been removed from the certificate following 1.12.2011. If you have completed the National Certificate of Language Proficiency between 2002 and 2011, the general level of language proficiency indicated on your certificate must be no less than 3. If it is less than 3, that certificate is not sufficient for being granted citizenship. For detailed information on the test grades prior to 2002 and it’s correspondence look here. More information on the language requirements for applying for citizenship, please consult the Finnish Immigration service.

Will I be able to be finnish?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Greetings.
You don't pass YKI, it just measures your skill, in different areas and general level in the past. I know that because I read your post and my reading comprehension.
Have you taken the test before 1.12.2011? Is your general level under 3? Is any of your skill areas under 3?!?
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

sponix

Post by sponix » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:39 pm

Thank you Upphew, I did the test on April 2014.

sponix

Post by sponix » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:45 pm

only puheen ymmärtäminen alle 3 but I did the test on april 2014

makkara

Post by makkara » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:58 pm

u are eligible for citizenship

homeuser

Post by homeuser » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:53 pm

Hello,

If I start taking the courses from now , then will I be able to clear the exam on April 2016.
Which means 6-7 months study will be enough to clear the exam ?

Regards

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:39 pm

homeuser wrote:If I start taking the courses from now , then will I be able to clear the exam on April 2016.
Just last week, I met a girl who studied Finnish every day for 5 months, 3.5h/day in class + 3h/day studying on her own + 1-2h/day watching Finnish TV/movies. After these 5 months, she "passed" YKI with 4 in each category, except writing she got 3. The girl didn't seem too bright and she only spoke English (other than Finnish).
So, yeah.. it's doable. Can you do it? Well, only you can answer that question.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:42 pm

tummansininen wrote:Of course, everyone thinks they are better than average and will try harder than average.
Yup, I can confirm this in my case. I genuinly thought I'll be around B2 in ~ a year. Boy was I wrong!
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

necadam

Post by necadam » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:28 pm

tummansininen wrote:If you are average, no.
If you are above average, most likely no.
[citation needed] on the "averages". My wife passed keskitaso (4 for reading, 3 for the rest) after about half a year of somehow intensive learning. And she really is not very bright when it comes to languages (she really struggled with her mandatory bachelor's level English exam which was a piece of cake for almost all students). Sure, Finnish could just fit her better than English, but still...

Alefsefr

Post by Alefsefr » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:36 pm

homeuser wrote:Hello,

If I start taking the courses from now , then will I be able to clear the exam on April 2016.
Which means 6-7 months study will be enough to clear the exam ?

Regards
Don't forget that YKI is a test and "studying for the test" will help you to get the desired grade in a relatively short time.
There are books with sample questions and practices for YKI (written by Finnish authors) and of course there is the Internet with many samples of exams' questions and activities. Study for the test for two three months and you will get the enough grade to do whatever you want to do with it.

In fact, I do not understand why the government makes people to participate in an expensive test to prove they can live in Finnish society. I have seen enough university graduates with no skills in Finnish who have gotten 3 or 4 from all the language skills that I am certain that the test is just a very old measurement for the language skill and is not suitable for today's smart people and today's complicated society.

If you are a university student or graduate you most probably are too busy to study the language and you can live in Finland with English and still be very active. In this case you pay a good tax and you are fruitful to the society. And you know how to read for exams! You will "pass" YKI test without knowing enough Finnish.

On the other hand, if you have no jobs, and pay no tax, you have a lot of time to practice Finnish. It will take years for you to understand enough Finnish to "pass" YKI. Still, you do not contribute to the society enough.

That's why I believe some of Finnish rules are not meaningful for today's world.

Suggestion: Just pay for the test, study just for the exam, practice sample tests and questions, and you will be ready in just some months. And of course after the test, you will forget most of the language. But that is OK according to the rules.

Alefsefr

Post by Alefsefr » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:47 pm

tummansininen wrote:
necadam wrote:
tummansininen wrote:If you are average, no.
If you are above average, most likely no.
[citation needed] on the "averages". My wife passed keskitaso (4 for reading, 3 for the rest) after about half a year of somehow intensive learning. And she really is not very bright when it comes to languages (she really struggled with her mandatory bachelor's level English exam which was a piece of cake for almost all students). Sure, Finnish could just fit her better than English, but still...

You could also spend more than five minutes in this forum to see almost all of we regulars as examples of people who have taken more than two years to pass the YKI. Your wife already had at least two languages when beginning learning Finnish - I don't know what they were, but if they're unrelated languages then actually she's above-average at language ability despite your protestations, because the mere fact of having two already assists in learning the third. :)
This is the part I don't agree. In my circle of friends, there are several average and below average people who cannot communicate in Finnish in any form at all, but they have gotten a sufficient grade from YKI by studying for just some months. The key is that you study for a test, and like other "old fashioned" tests there are certain ways to study for YKI in a short time. For example, if you practice writing for like 10 or 20 topics you will definitely pass that activity and you also will pass the opinions subtest in speaking. Similarly, practice 10 or 20 topics for the dialogues subtest, and you will pass it. If you do so, you will be fine for other writing activities, such as emails, ads, etc.

But, if you want to really learn the language, then I agree. It will take easily two three years of practice. But a six-month crash course will also help, in case you can afford yourself (and can be absent from work for a long time) in that period of time.