What school shouldI contact?

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
jestun

Post by jestun » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:37 am

Hello.

I am going to move to Finland in the end of Mar.
I rented the house on top of Iso Omena in Espoo.
My kids can speak Fin at all and I searche the schools near to the Iso Omena.
Is there anyone who knows the school provides special class for the students who can not speak Fin near to the Iso Omena in Espoo?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rosamunda

Re: What school shouldI contact?

Post by Rosamunda » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:01 am

You don't say how old your children are (pre-school class starts at 6 years old, primary school at 7 years old) or whether you intend to settle permanently in Finland or just live here on a temporary basis. If you only plan to stay here for a couple of years then it might be better for your children to be schooled in English. Do your children already speak English?

Some of the answers to your questions can be found here: http://www.espoo.fi/en-US/Childcare_and ... _Education

There are immigrant programs for children who arrive in Finland from other countries, but you need to make a special application for those places.

I suggest you email or call (Monday to Friday) the contacts given on that page and ask them for information. There are at least 5 schools within walking distance of Iso Omena (Finnish, Swedish and English speaking) so there are probably several alternatives.

I think you were already given this info on another thread... you can't just turn up at a school and expect them to take your children. You need to apply through Espoo City Council (the link above) who will tell you where there are places available for your children.