Looking to move on a student visa; what should I know?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
cigazze

Post by cigazze » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:29 am

Hi all. Sorry if the subject isn't well worded; I couldn't think of anything better.

My name's Willow. I'm a freshman at a Community College (for anyone who doesn't know what that is, it's a 2-year college that only gives Associates' degrees) in Philadelphia, a city in the United States. I'm looking to move to Finland (especially Turku) in a couple years, after I get my Associates' degree. I'm planning on applying to the University of Turku and getting an educational visa. I'm still not decided on whether I want to get my Associates' here and get a Bachelors' there or if I want to get my Bachelors' here and get a Masters' there.

I've been doing a lot of research into the requirements and I'm pretty well read on that. I'm also trying to learn the language, although there aren't really any formal classes I can find that aren't absurdly expensive. Online courses aren't the best but I'm trying to learn that way.

Why do I want to move to Finland? Well, first of all, the weather - any higher than 28c and I'm dying. It's too hot here. I'd much rather deal with -20c than 30c. In addition, socially, Finland is a lot further than a lot of places, and the quality of life just seems like it would be much better for me. Going to UTU will also save me a bit in tuition (although moving + cost of living is definitely not cheap, lol). I'm happy with the extra taxes as well. I also have a number of friends in Finland, so I do have some connections to the country. And honestly, while I might get crucified for saying this, a lot of it is that I just want to get out of the US. Sure, it's a lot better than a lot of places, but I really can't see myself living here much longer.

I know there's cons, obviously. From what I've heard, people are a bit cold and unsocial in public, which I can deal with. In addition, LGBT rights (which I fall under) are a bit behind, but luckily they're getting better. Also, being so far away from family will be difficult, but I'll be able to deal with that as well. Another con (not that major, though) is the lack of diversity, which is one of the things I like about living in a large city in the US, but again, I can deal. Also, as far as I've heard, there's not much culture in general in Finland? But again, I can deal with that.

I know it's an arduous process to immigrate. Just, does anyone have any tips or things I should know that I haven't gone over? I've read a lot online but really anything helps. Thank you!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Flossy1978

Re: Looking to move on a student visa; what should I know?

Post by Flossy1978 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:58 am

Not much culture? What is the Finnish culture then? :lol:

I don't think they are so behind in the LGBT thing. I mean, already for a long time there are transgender priests/ministers in the Lutheran Church. I am sure there aren't any in America like that. My friend's brother is a gay priest. Finns in general don't care to flaunt and carry on. They are quite reserved and really don't feel the need to put it all out there. So it might seem behind for you, but probably isn't really.

Because the population is small, of course there is less diversity, but that is how it is. It is slowly changing. I loved how simple life was when I lived there. Sometimes too much culture/diversity isn't a good thing either. It can be overwhelming and causes all kinds of negative social situations.

I am not sure how much cheaper it will be to go to school there. Fees are going to start being charged for non EU students. And the cost of living is much higher in Finland, than America. Possibly it all adds up to be about the same overall.

It is good you are learning Finnish. Good for you.

Good luck!

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:17 am

cigazze wrote:I'm planning on applying to the University of Turku and getting an educational visa. I'm still not decided on whether I want to get my Associates' here and get a Bachelors' there or if I want to get my Bachelors' here and get a Masters' there.

I've been doing a lot of research into the requirements and I'm pretty well read on that. I'm also trying to learn the language, although there aren't really any formal classes I can find that aren't absurdly expensive. Online courses aren't the best but I'm trying to learn that way.
First things first: visa is for visiting up to three months, residence permit is for residing.

You might want to read a bit more about language of instruction in universities here. Doing masters in English seems to be common. But bachelors, iirc, are mostly in Finnish. Getting yourself fluent there with online courses... I wouldn't hold my breath. Really, check the utu.fi and their faculties and units page, first two I looked at stated that bachelors are Finnish only.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Lavinia

Post by Lavinia » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:41 pm

Hei, I just wanted to tell you, universities and polytechnics(if you want a bachelor's in English you'll need to check those) are going to start charging non-EU students about 10.000€ per year in tuition fees(it was 9800 at my school). That adds to the 7000€(????)you need to own every year in order to get a residence permit(which you'll need to renew every year). So yes, Finland is far from cheap. Of course nowadays you can find some small job even in English pretty easily(at least in my city, they're desperate for dishwashers apparently)but you'll hardly be able to afford luxury living.

Also, bureaucracy aside, Finland is not the easiest country to move to - I've seen plenty of people having to go back to their country. I'm not saying it's impossible, me myself I immigrated here and this is definitely my home, but don't underestimate culture shock, language difficulty etc. It takes LOADS of effort to succesfully integrate here.

As for the language courses, try and check on Yle's website, I think they have some basics, and it's free.

good luck

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:21 pm

http://www.studyinfinland.fi/
It has 99% of what a student needs to know.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

cigazze

Post by cigazze » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:11 pm

Thank you all so much! I know it's a chore to immigrate into Finland, and I know it's not cheap, but I feel like it'd be better for me and my future overall than staying here in the States. Of course, I'm planning on making at least one visit to Finland before I move. I'm also reading that Culture Shock! guide, which I've found to be really informative so far.

By the way, I was just repeating stuff that I've heard - sorry if it offended anyone or it wasn't 100% true! By the LGBT stuff, I was mostly going by the law - for example, gay marriage technically isn't legal until next year, and apparently you need to be sterilised to change your official gender. But like I said, it's getting there, so I'm not too worried.

Anyway, thank you all for your help! It's expensive to live in Finland but I believe it'll lead me to have a better future - which is the #1 thing for me.

Kiitos! Arvostan apujasi :D

leisl

Post by leisl » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:12 pm

As an addendum to Lavinia's comment you need to have that circa 17 000 euro per year IN SAVINGS because you won't get any work here to pay for that and you won't qualify for any student loans.*

Yeah, yeah, someone will pipe up that both are possible but you can safely assume they will not apply. For 99% of Americans without any qualifications, you study and living expenses must be 100% self-funded from savings or from ongoing income coming from your home country ie rental income.

This probably means that your plan isn't going to work out in its current form. I know that's a downer, but that's exactly what the recent change to the tuition laws has done, if you're not EU then you probably aren't going to come (because coming here is now very unattractive financially). If you are completely determined, you probably want to get your bachelor's in the USA then come here for a master's - and note, that's still far from an easy method, Finnish master's programmes taught in English are notorious for churning out graduates that cannot speak any Finnish and end up taking employment elsewhere - either because the doors are not open without Finnish or because they suddenly have the qualifications to work in places they'd prefer to Finland.

On the off chance that it's the unspoken thing you didn't mention... marry Finnish your partner and their income can be used to support you and get you a residency permit (plus remove your fees).

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:18 pm

Why would it better for your future, living in Finland?

Lots of Americans want to escape what America claims is the greatest countrt in the world. I find it highly amusing :lol:

Marriage is overrated. It is just a bit of paper. Finland has a high rate of divorce. Plenty of people are in a relationship for most their adult lives and never marry and do just fine. Whatever sex they like and whatever sex they want to be. Again, who cares? Not a lot of Finnish people. Just do your own thing and live quietly. That is what Finnish people like.

Finland is ahead of America in that regard. Equality is much better in all walks of life. So what if marriage like what you want will only be implemented next year? It is happening. Didn't it only just be approved in only some states in America?

Good luck.

leisl

Post by leisl » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:46 pm

Flossy1978 wrote:Marriage is overrated. It is just a bit of paper.
That's a very typical line for someone who has the choice. For those that don't, it's a symbol of discrimination and being treated as lesser beings.

There are people for whom it has great symbolic meaning, the right to declare to the world that they love someone enough to be united with them in the eyes of the public. Not to mention legal meanings, particularly in regards to property and to children and to IMMIGRATION, INCOME SUPPORT and TUITION FEES. So it's not just a bit of paper, it can be a ticket to a whole new life.

But in any case, the OP never mentioned it, I brought it up as a means to hurdle red tape.

OT: I don't know who peed in your cornflakes Flossy but you didn't used to be so cynical and snappy on every single thread.

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:53 am

cigazze wrote:I'm still not decided on whether I want to get my Associates' here and get a Bachelors' there or if I want to get my Bachelors' here and get a Masters' there.
I thought that the proper universities in Finland (such as Turun yliopisto) only offer bachelors courses in Finnish (or I suppose Swedish). It's the ammatikorkeakoulu here which offer bachelors courses in english.

If that is correct, it means the OP will not likely be attending UTU for a bachelors degree.

Info on course fees from utu.fi https://www.utu.fi/en/studying/tuition- ... /home.aspx

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:27 am

You do not need to be married to prove a relationship to Immigration. There are lots of people who get Resident Permits after proving they have a relationship without being married.

In Finland, marriage is just a piece of paper for a lot of people, I learned while living there. People get divorced so easily there. You don't even really have to pay for it (other than the basic fee when you file. I think 35 Euros or something), unless you want to go to court to fight. The Government has made it pretty darn easy there, compared to places like America, Australia etc.

It is sad for those who are forced into marriage. But we are talking about Finland, where there is choice, if you are a native Finnish person and not a person from a culture where forced marriage is the norm. Even then, the world is waking up and Western Countries do their hardest to help women in forced marriages, if they want out. Yes, there is more involved, like family life etc, which has a big impact on people in forced marriages.

Yeah, I am in desperate need of a holiday. I'll endeavour to be less snappy when I return from it.... :D

leisl

Post by leisl » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:25 pm

Flossy1978 wrote:Yeah, I am in desperate need of a holiday. I'll endeavour to be less snappy when I return from it.... :D
:mrgreen: :ochesey: :D :thumbsup: :beer_yum: