Studying Medicine in Finland

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
medical_doctor

Post by medical_doctor » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:30 pm

I am foreign origin Finns. My daughter ( Finnish citizen) has been studying from grade one to grade five in a Finnish school. I have shifted her to IB curriculum school ( English/Finnish) from grade six. Now, she is studying in grade 8. Till now, she has an excellent grade ( 9+ to 10+) in all subject. She has dream to serve this nation as a qualified MEDICAL DOCTOR. Therefore, I wanted to send her studying medicine in any university in Finland. I am still confused, whether sending her IB program or Lukio for her dream to study medicine in Finland. Do you have any pieces of advice, how can I provide her more opportunities to study medicine? System of Entrance Examination? Any exam preparation tuition class run by private institute? How expensive is it?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Flossy1978

Re: Studying Medicine in Finland

Post by Flossy1978 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:35 am

I think you should put her into a normal Finnish high school. She needs to be in a completely Finnish environment, so she is concentrating just on getting into Uni, without worrying about different languages on top of it. If she wants to be a doctor, English should be a very easy language, so no need to be studying in it all through high school. It is incredibly hard to get into. I knew a Finnish woman, smartest person I know. She tried twice to get in. Only missed out by a few points. And she had perfect scores all through high school. So your daughter will have to work her arse off.

Good luck!

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:13 am

Flossy1978 wrote:I think you should put her into a normal Finnish high school. She needs to be in a completely Finnish environment, so she is concentrating just on getting into Uni, without worrying about different languages on top of it. If she wants to be a doctor, English should be a very easy language, so no need to be studying in it all through high school. It is incredibly hard to get into. I knew a Finnish woman, smartest person I know. She tried twice to get in. Only missed out by a few points. And she had perfect scores all through high school. So your daughter will have to work her arse off.

Good luck!
About 15% of applicants get selected. If you want to game the system, then the best bet is to study in Swedish. 88 vs 82 total points or 49,5 vs 40,3 point in entrance exam (in year 2015, source: www.studentum.fi).
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

sotka_

Post by sotka_ » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:43 pm

medical_doctor wrote:I am foreign origin Finns. My daughter ( Finnish citizen) has been studying from grade one to grade five in a Finnish school. I have shifted her to IB curriculum school ( English/Finnish) from grade six. Now, she is studying in grade 8. Till now, she has an excellent grade ( 9+ to 10+) in all subject. She has dream to serve this nation as a qualified MEDICAL DOCTOR. Therefore, I wanted to send her studying medicine in any university in Finland. I am still confused, whether sending her IB program or Lukio for her dream to study medicine in Finland. Do you have any pieces of advice, how can I provide her more opportunities to study medicine? System of Entrance Examination? Any exam preparation tuition class run by private institute? How expensive is it?
Well.. Lukio vs. IB does not really matter. The entrance examination tests biology, physics and chemistry, but above all, endurance and stress management. I'd suggest choosing math, physics, chemistry and biology courses at lukio, all of them. It's important to really learn to solve the physics and chemistry problems by heart.

But that being said, who knows how things are in four to five years. It's too soon to stress about the details of applying to medical school.

Upphew mentioned the Swedish route, which is there. But that'd require fulfilling language requirements, which are quite strict: "Vaadittava ruotsinkielen taitotaso on hyvin korkea, joten ilmoittaudu ajoissa kielitaitotestiin, jotta voit tarvittaessa uusia sen.", so I would not personally choose that path.
"Elämme kovia aikoja, ystävä hyvä."

meplusthree

Post by meplusthree » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:35 am

Taking the IB route may not be the best idea.
My son is at an IB school in Espoo and IIRC at the intro talk they stated that if you want to study medcine then IB is not the best option. This is because , due to the IB curriculum, it is not possible to study all the subjects required for medical school.
They did say that some of the students had manged to get into Finnish medical school but had to study the missing subjects in there own time.

DMC

Post by DMC » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:48 am

sotka_ wrote:Upphew mentioned the Swedish route, which is there. But that'd require fulfilling language requirements, which are quite strict: "Vaadittava ruotsinkielen taitotaso on hyvin korkea, joten ilmoittaudu ajoissa kielitaitotestiin, jotta voit tarvittaessa uusia sen.", so I would not personally choose that path.
FWIW I know someone who took the Swedish option. Her first choice was to study in Finnish. Swedish was her second choice, with a back-up plan of studying in the USA on a sports scholarship. She was not accepted by Finnish schools, but got into a Swedish course and is now a working Dr. Of course taking this route requires very good language skills but if someone has those skills it is certainly a viable option.

medical_doctor

Post by medical_doctor » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:40 pm

Thank you very much for your inputs. However, I still waiting for more input from both medical practitioners and other academic experts. By the way, is there any private institution who coaches medical entrances preparation class? Any ideas?

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:12 am

medical_doctor wrote:By the way, is there any private institution who coaches medical entrances preparation class? Any ideas?
A lot of them. Hit valmennuskurssit to google. Add lääkis or lääketiede, to get more relevant hits.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

medical_doctor

Post by medical_doctor » Fri May 24, 2019 3:39 pm

Is there anyone who are already in medical school that comes from IB course in Finland? Any ideas?