Physically assaulted on street

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
qphxxt

Post by qphxxt » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:21 pm

Hi all,

My husband and a friend were out for dinner 2 nights ago in Helsinki and were walking back home when two drunk guys on the street started yelling random stuff at them. One of the guys proceeded to punch my husband twice and then took his friend and ran away. My husband tried to run after them but was hurt so he stayed back when he saw a police car turn on its siren and go after the two men running away. My husband and his friend went to Haartman Hospital and he had to get 10 stitches on his lip that night. The next morning, we went to the police station to fully report the incident and was told that they had caught the suspect that night and would contact us in a week or so with further details.

We went to the dentist as well and they said that the impact from the hit caused inflammation in his gums and that he needs root treatment once the swelling subsides. We've also had to purchase antibiotics, pain relievers and other topical ointments for his symptoms. In addition, my husband is a performer and has to miss 2+ weeks of shows, which will affect his salary.

We are fairly new to Finland (moved here 8 months ago) and are unfamiliar as to what happens in cases such as this. Shouldn't the police have taken my husband's statement that night right after the assault instead of waiting a week or so?

Also, does stuff like this get taken to court? How do we reach a settlement? Although his insurance will cover some of the medical expenses, can we receive compensation from the assaulter? I, myself, would personally like to see him in person and settle this. Are these things asking for too much?

If anyone has any information or advice they can give, it would be much appreciated. It's been a frustrating couple of days. Thank you!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Oombongo

Re: Physically assaulted on street

Post by Oombongo » Mon May 01, 2017 8:08 am

you may try to get those degenerates to pay for all that expenses but I doubt this is going to happen. The criminals have far more rights than taxpayers, and you can get away quite easily specially when you're drunk etc. Hell if you end up defending yourself then you will be in troubles.

http://www.helsinginuutiset.fi/artikkel ... soterainen

Police have more "important" priorities these days. If you end up dying then it will be a news for a week, there will be probably flowers and memorials and all of that will be forgotten quickly and life goes on and nothing will change. You may also try to sue them but I highly doubt it will fly.
However, if you were connected to fat rats in parliament then it would have been a different story.
Image Image

rinso

Post by rinso » Mon May 01, 2017 10:00 am

Also, does stuff like this get taken to court? How do we reach a settlement? Although his insurance will cover some of the medical expenses, can we receive compensation from the assaulter? I, myself, would personally like to see him in person and settle this. Are these things asking for too much?
You can claim, but it will probably take you to court. (need for a lawyer) There might be a reasonable chance you'll win, but I think there is little chance those characters will have money to pay you.
Try one of those free legal advice options and see what your chances are.
https://oikeus.fi/en/index/laatikot/Leg ... tance.html
https://www.facebook.com/helsinkilawclinic/

inkku

Post by inkku » Mon May 01, 2017 11:18 am

Unfortunately i cannot help you but I just wanted to say that I am so sorry that happened to your husband, so awful. i hope you will get justice.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon May 01, 2017 2:09 pm

qphxxt wrote:
We are fairly new to Finland (moved here 8 months ago) and are unfamiliar as to what happens in cases such as this. Shouldn't the police have taken my husband's statement that night right after the assault instead of waiting a week or so?
The legislation doesn't say much about this so it's probably left to the officers to decide.
Section 11 – Period of conduct of the criminal investigation
(1) The criminal investigation shall be conducted without undue delay.
http://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/kaannokset ... 110805.pdf

The investigating office is probably different from the one you met that night so it makes sense that they do the interview themselves later. It does make sense that the officer on site takes up the basic facts.
qphxxt wrote:
Also, does stuff like this get taken to court? How do we reach a settlement?
For many crimes the consent of the victim is required to take the issue to court. It depends on the crime and how serious it is considered. This seems like a "normal" assault so do have the option of reaching a settlement and then it would not be taken to court.

https://www.minilex.fi/a/mitä-ovat-asia ... jarikokset
qphxxt wrote:
Although his insurance will cover some of the medical expenses, can we receive compensation from the assaulter? I, myself, would personally like to see him in person and settle this. Are these things asking for too much?
Yes. If they are not able to pay, you can claim from the state.

http://www.statetreasury.fi/en-US/Citiz ... me_damages

Here's some further info.

https://oikeus.fi/en/index/esitteet/jos ... riksi.html

I would seriously consider getting a lawyer.

qphxxt

Post by qphxxt » Wed May 03, 2017 5:15 pm

Thanks all for the advice.

We still have not gotten a follow up call from the police...I wonder if they're taking longer because of the vappu festivities...

If we did press charges, what would happen to the assaulters? In America, they would have to pay a pretty significant fine. However, in this case, I don't even think the police arrested them on the scene. Does the system differ much from America?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri May 05, 2017 2:28 am

qphxxt wrote:If we did press charges, what would happen to the assaulters? In America, they would have to pay a pretty significant fine. However, in this case, I don't even think the police arrested them on the scene. Does the system differ much from America?
At least it's best not to make any assumptions that things would be the same here as in America. Fines for assault work the same as for traffic tickets, they are day fines and as such depend on the income of the perpetrator. The maximum for assault is two years.

http://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/1889/18890039001

podzap

Post by podzap » Fri May 05, 2017 6:26 am

One of the core differences in civil law between England-derived countries (USA, Canada, New Zealand, and Australia) and Finland is that in Finnish law, "tort" does not exist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tort

Tort is the entire justification for the civil lawsuit system in the England-derived countries. For example, in USA if you park your monster truck in front of someone's car that prevents them from going to work and they then lose their job as a result, you are liable for significant financial award to the victim. A tortious act is basically anything that makes you feel butthurt.

The fact that we do not have tort in Finnish law is a very good thing. People are not able to sue McDonald's for 5 million euros because the coffee was too hot. Or people who slam on their brakes in traffic because they are intentionally looking for a rear-end-collision civil lawsuit are just laughed at here. The lack of tort in Finnish law is a really, really, superduper good thing. In fact, it's one of the very best parts about the whole country.

The courts do sometimes award "kipuraha", but it is very small compared to what you are imagining. For example, a rape victim might be awarded 1 or 2 thousand euros for the purpose of obtaining counseling.

So, you can stop daydreaming about the new Maserati. Not gonna happen.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri May 05, 2017 6:59 am

podzap wrote:One of the core differences in civil law between England-derived countries (USA, Canada, New Zealand, and Australia) and Finland is that in Finnish law, "tort" does not exist.
Why do we have a Tort Liability Act then?

http://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/kaannokset/1974/en19740412
podzap wrote: Tort is the entire justification for the civil lawsuit system in the England-derived countries. For example, in USA if you park your monster truck in front of someone's car that prevents them from going to work and they then lose their job as a result, you are liable for significant financial award to the victim. A tortious act is basically anything that makes you feel butthurt.

The fact that we do not have tort in Finnish law is a very good thing. People are not able to sue McDonald's for 5 million euros because the coffee was too hot. Or people who slam on their brakes in traffic because they are intentionally looking for a rear-end-collision civil lawsuit are just laughed at here. The lack of tort in Finnish law is a really, really, superduper good thing. In fact, it's one of the very best parts about the whole country.

The courts do sometimes award "kipuraha", but it is very small compared to what you are imagining. For example, a rape victim might be awarded 1 or 2 thousand euros for the purpose of obtaining counseling.
What you seem to be looking to describe is that Finnish courts do not award punitive damages to the injured party. It's possible to sue McDonald's for too hot coffee. However, you will only be able to recover things like medical expenses.

qphxxt

Post by qphxxt » Fri May 05, 2017 10:58 am

Thank you for the info.

Also, I do know what a maserati is and I do believe rape victims deserve MUCH more that what you described.

podzap

Post by podzap » Sun May 07, 2017 3:32 am

betelgeuse wrote:[
What you seem to be looking to describe is that Finnish courts do not award punitive damages to the injured party. It's possible to sue McDonald's for too hot coffee. However, you will only be able to recover things like medical expenses.
Höpö-höpö. Don't know if they have treatment for aspergers syndrome, but you will definitely be laughed out of the court clerk's office if you try to bring a case about hot coffee. Or me blocking your driveway with my car.

inkku

Post by inkku » Sun May 07, 2017 10:47 am

Podzap, since you seem to have very many opinions (but less knowledge) about anything and since you are so willing to share them, how about opening your own "Podzap advises, ask whatever you want" - thread. Stop trolling other peoples' threads, OP has quite a serious issue, let her keep it for her case and factual information.

rinso

Post by rinso » Sun May 07, 2017 12:21 pm

+1

MPNicholson

Post by MPNicholson » Thu May 11, 2017 4:42 pm

Just a comment on that famous hot coffee case. That coffee was so hot it gave the elderly lady a 3rd degree burn on her legs. That location had turned up the heat on their coffee maker. A vascular surgeon determined that Liebeck suffered full thickness burns (or third-degree burns) over 6 percent of her body, including her inner thighs, perineum, buttocks, and genital and groin areas. She was hospitalized for eight days, during which time she underwent skin grafting. Liebeck, who also underwent debridement treatments, sought to settle her claim for $20,000, but McDonalds refused.

podzap

Post by podzap » Mon May 15, 2017 12:21 am

inkku wrote:Podzap, since you seem to have very many opinions (but less knowledge) about anything and since you are so willing to share them, how about opening your own "Podzap advises, ask whatever you want" - thread. Stop trolling other peoples' threads, OP has quite a serious issue, let her keep it for her case and factual information.
I helped an entire family from being tricked into poverty. And you?

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=94865