What would be a good gift to bring from the USA to Finland?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Bubba Elvis XIV

Re: What would be a good gift to bring from the USA to Finland?

Post by Bubba Elvis XIV » Mon May 11, 2009 9:12 am

Cory wrote:
pres589 wrote:I've made jerky using the oven, I wouldn't want to have paid for a dehydrator for just a few batches of the stuff. It still takes all day, you can't get away from that.
The dehydrator uses far less energy that keeping the oven on all day, which is why we made the purchase. We've also been able to dehydrate mushrooms and fruits and berries that need preserving for winter. It's paid for itself a few times over when we make mysli.
We're investigating buying one...

where did you get it from?

Black Flag kills ants on contact

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Vesper

Post by Vesper » Mon May 11, 2009 11:54 pm

the thought of beef jerky makes me think of processed meat... or doggie treats. yuck. it must be a guy thing. though homemade sounds better than that slim jims crap.

raamv

Post by raamv » Tue May 12, 2009 12:18 am

Jamon!! de serrano!! ja Tapas!! Rulezz :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

timpal

Post by timpal » Tue May 12, 2009 10:27 am

I actually find it tedious when people bring me coffee from Finland to USA. Of course I'll drink them; anything free in today's economic situation is welcome. However, Juhla Mokka and Presidentti are rather bland tasting, and we have all kinds of supermarket coffees not to mention gourmet ones here in US, that are quite caffeinous and tasty.

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Tue May 12, 2009 11:23 am

Pursuivant wrote:
Argentiinalainen wrote:What about peanut butter?
Naah - that we got. Nobody buys it tho.
Someone's buying it, Stockmann Tapiola were out of Skippy when I dropped by last Friday. And they'd run out of Smuckers Grape Jelly. :evil:
David Rönnqvist wrote:I was thinking of things traditionally English to take my Finnish relatives. I mentioned clotted cream fudge before. What about Eccles cakes? I am thinking along very English lines. Actually when I was in China, I missed Scotch eggs - could I take some of those in their wrappers? What else is there really really English that you could take? (apart from Marmite)
Anything full of currants / raisins seem not to go down very well over here. The audience I've tested them on is very limited, but Christmas cake, Christmas pudding, and Eccles cakes have all gone down like a lead balloon.

I wouldn't bring Scotch eggs as they contain meat and egg (natch) and are unlikely to travel well, after a 10 hour journey they'll be rank.
David Rönnqvist wrote:
pres589 wrote:If you can find a store that sells them, bring some clues over for this David Rönnqvist guy.
I need all the help I can get!
And then some.

Like many things in Finland e.g. pulla, which the locals consider to be a uniquely Finnish delicacy (it ain't, just google Chelsea bun), several locals asked me what I thought of Brunbergin suukko like they were somehow unique to this country. They are the same idea as Tunnock's teacakes, and nothing to do with Creme Eggs as our confused friend Hank seems to think.

So, I'd suggest bringing those over, at least it will be a conversation starter when they are surprised at how similar they are to Brunbergin suukko... nailed on certainty they will then tell you how these are good... but the local brand is better (like the coffee). Obviously, taste in bulk chocolate depends on what you were raised on, be it Fazer Blue, Dairy Milk, Swiss or Belgian. Personally my favourite is Freia, that's not to say it's any better than other bulk chocolate, it's just what I was used to as a nipper.

If you are flying Finnair, there's a Harrods shop in Heathrow T3... a box of tea, chocolates or shortbread in a Harrods tin will probably go down well, it might a load of old crap, but if it's got HarroLd's (sic) on the box, they'll be made up.

There's also no equivalent of decent mint boiled sweets ... humbugs, Everton mints, Uncle Joe's Mint balls ... all those kind of boiled sweets which you can buy in a jar in the UK are pretty much absent here.

suomalainen_yooper

Re: What would be a good gift to bring from the USA to Finla

Post by suomalainen_yooper » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:16 pm

I am traveling to Finland around Christmas. Would maple syrup or honey be a good hostess gift for the family I'm staying with?

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:38 pm

suomalainen_yooper wrote:I am traveling to Finland around Christmas. Would maple syrup or honey be a good hostess gift for the family I'm staying with?
Maple syrup is good. Can be gotten here but it Isn’t everywhere. I would suggest also maple candy or maple butter. Those cannot be gotten here and are a unique treat. Honey is readily available here and even local honey is sold in the normal grocery stores. So I wouldn’t recommend that. Are you from the UP? If so, I would also suggest thimbleberry jam. I have brought some to my family here and it is often requested for me to bring more when I travel to Michigan.

Whatever you decide to bring will be greatly appreciated by your hosts. :)

Oombongo

Post by Oombongo » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:51 am

buorbon. bulliet 10 years
Image Image

Piet

Post by Piet » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:37 am

Single malt Islay over 18yrs old... 8)
If god would give us the source code, we could change the world

mask

Post by mask » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:45 pm

Any other suggestions? I will be staying and working in Finland for 6 months (moving in a few weeks from Chicago, can't wait!) and need small gifts for colleagues, home visits, etc. I don't feel comfortable giving alcohol to new acquaintances (as opposed to friends) and wasn't sure if anyone had any good suggestions for a small token.