Getting Medications After Getting the Residence Permit

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
undertakerfreak

Post by undertakerfreak » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:44 am

I plan on moving to Finland to be with my wife after I get my residence permit. One of my biggest concerns is my medical issues, which I take medications for (blood pressure, anxiety, GERD). By concerns, I mean getting insurance, finding a doctor, and getting prescriptions. I read that once I get my permit, I can immediately sign up for Kela -- but from there, I'm very unsure as to how long it would take for me to be approved and be able to see a doctor and get my prescriptions taken care of. So, my main questions are: how long does it usually take to be approved (or denied) by Kela? How soon after the approval will I be able to see a doctor or a psychiatrist to make sure I get the medications I need? What would I need to bring with me as proof that I'm legally prescribed my medications by my US doctor and psychiatrist? Thank you very much for your help.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

rinso

Re: Getting Medications After Getting the Residence Permit

Post by rinso » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:27 am

undertakerfreak wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:44 am
I plan on moving to Finland to be with my wife after I get my residence permit. One of my biggest concerns is my medical issues, which I take medications for (blood pressure, anxiety, GERD). By concerns, I mean getting insurance, finding a doctor, and getting prescriptions. I read that once I get my permit, I can immediately sign up for Kela -- but from there, I'm very unsure as to how long it would take for me to be approved and be able to see a doctor and get my prescriptions taken care of. So, my main questions are: how long does it usually take to be approved (or denied) by Kela? How soon after the approval will I be able to see a doctor or a psychiatrist to make sure I get the medications I need? What would I need to bring with me as proof that I'm legally prescribed my medications by my US doctor and psychiatrist? Thank you very much for your help.
To get prescriptions you need a doctor. Even without Kela you can go to one and pay yourself. Once you're Kela approved you can claim (some) back.
The main problem however is getting an appointment. It might take weeks or even months before there is an open spot.
Since it seems that your wife is already in Finland, she can visit the healthcare center and discuss your case there. That would give you much better information than us speculating based on limited information.

wolf80

Post by wolf80 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:17 am

rinso wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:27 am
To get prescriptions you need a doctor. Even without Kela you can go to one and pay yourself. Once you're Kela approved you can claim (some) back.
The main problem however is getting an appointment. It might take weeks or even months before there is an open spot.
Since it seems that your wife is already in Finland, she can visit the healthcare center and discuss your case there. That would give you much better information than us speculating based on limited information.
Either that, or you pay the 60-70 Euro for a private healthcare appointment if you urgently need your medication. I highly enjoyed going to Mehiläinen while it was provided by my work's healthcare programme, and after that job I continued to go to see my doctor there and just paid the money. You get an appointment immediately, really listen to you, and they are more likely to prescribe you the medication you want.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:56 pm

undertakerfreak wrote:
I plan on moving to Finland to be with my wife after I get my residence permit. One of my biggest concerns is my medical issues, which I take medications for (blood pressure, anxiety, GERD). By concerns, I mean getting insurance, finding a doctor, and getting prescriptions. I read that once I get my permit, I can immediately sign up for Kela -- but from there, I'm very unsure as to how long it would take for me to be approved and be able to see a doctor and get my prescriptions taken care of.
Access to doctors is covered by having a municipality of residence in the population register. It is not connected to being approved for Kela. You will get the municipality of residence after notifying local register offices about your move.
undertakerfreak wrote:
So, my main questions are: how long does it usually take to be approved (or denied) by Kela? How soon after the approval will I be able to see a doctor or a psychiatrist to make sure I get the medications I need? What would I need to bring with me as proof that I'm legally prescribed my medications by my US doctor and psychiatrist? Thank you very much for your help.
You don't need Kela access to buy the drugs. You can just claim retroactively after they have processed your application.

http://www.kela.fi/web/en/medicine-expe ... w-to-claim

metsämurmeli

Post by metsämurmeli » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:37 am

The application to KELA will need some months, how many is hard to tell. With family ties, I am not sure, but otherwise if you are not working, it is not a given that they accept you. But as wolf80 said, the private sector is huge.

In private healthcare there are several chains you can choose from. You can get an appointment with a GP for the same day, even, also on weekends. Though of course, if you want a specific Doc, you have to adjust to his/her schedule. First time they might want to hear your story, so I figure that would be more in the €80 area. Later it is just a renewal, and 10 minutes might be enough. Since your symptoms span different medical areas, expect to maybe needing to see more than 1 Doc, though. I personally never had problems getting everything covered with the GPs, but I do not have that specific symptoms, like GERD, anxiety are.

Furthermore, you can bring your prescriptions from the US, and if the drug is also sold here, the prescriptions in general are valid no longer than 1 year. So if the drugs are sold at all, I think that might be your best procedure. Even if not sold here, I have met very friendly docs, willing to get me specific drugs I had before. But that of course leads to the above choice of official vs private healthcare.