Is ''Kukkamulta'' suitable for growing vegetables also?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
moonlightway

Post by moonlightway » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:31 pm

Hello,

Anybody knows; what kind of soil is suitable for growing vegetables at home ( in pots)?

I found some soil named ''Kukkamulta'' in Lidl. Is it suitable for growing vegetables at home ( in pots) also?

Thanks..

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rosamunda

Re: Is ''Kukkamulta'' suitable for growing vegetables also?

Post by Rosamunda » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:10 pm

I guess it depends what you want to grow. I probably wouldn't start off seeds in kukkamulta (you can buy special seed compost for that called kylvömulta). The general purpose "multa" for veg are called Kasvimaamulta or Puutarhamulta.

The growbags (plastic sacks containing also slow-release fertilizers) are good for things like tomatoes. You can usually buy them in the bigger hardware stores and/or garden centres.

Tiina_Finn23

Post by Tiina_Finn23 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:40 pm

This was very useful today! I know it's an old post but googled whether kukkamulta would be ok to use for husband's seed/veg growing (indoors for now and then onto balcony for Summer). Couldn't find any organic non kukka/flower soil but searched again for organic kylvä multa and finally found some. Felt a bit odd to use flower soil for veg growing.
We left behind a thriving allotment in England three months ago to move to Espoo so will be interesting to see how we get on here with growing veggies. Have heard a few things about summer allotments with summer houses so will have to look into those a bit more too.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:04 pm

Would be happy to discuss fruit and veg growing with you! Am also in Espoo but with a fruit/veg garden at our mökki in Raasepori.
Growing from seed can be hit and miss without a heated greenhouse. I tend to buy a lot of plants in the spring: tomatoes, peppers, kale etc. Because I just got fed up having the house full of seeds from February through to mid May! But I grow carrots from seed and also aubergines and cucumbers.

Tiina_Finn23

Post by Tiina_Finn23 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:43 pm

If it were up to me I would be buying them all in the spring, and we will still buy some, but now we have a flat full of seeds! Mainly chillies and garlic. We bought some heating mats to help them though the garlic is doing some hibernating thing outside in a bin. (As you may be able to tell I am not the expert, but husband knows what he's doing for the most part!) I'm just looking forward to it all going on the balcony when it warms up!