Car abroad - Inspection period is over

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
atroul

Post by atroul » Fri May 04, 2018 12:42 pm

Hello,
I moved with my car in Greece, the inspection period for the car will end in a month. I am planning to change the plates to Greek ones but it can't be done soon.
Is it illegal to drive that car with finnish plates in Greece while the inspection period is over?
Thank you

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

zetorpilot

Re: Car abroad - Inspection period is over

Post by zetorpilot » Fri May 04, 2018 7:27 pm

atroul wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 12:42 pm
Hello,
I moved with my car in Greece, the inspection period for the car will end in a month. I am planning to change the plates to Greek ones but it can't be done soon.
Is it illegal to drive that car with finnish plates in Greece while the inspection period is over?
Thank you
As you are in Greece, one idea might be to contact the responsible authority there directly? A moments googlage suggests that a first line of enquiry might be Vehicle and Technical Control centres, which look to be broadly analogous to Finnish katsastusasemat.

http://www.yme.gr/index.php?getwhat=1&o ... tid=542#a1

Failing that, maybe there is a Greek forum where you might be able to find information more relevant to moving to, living in and life in Greece?

riku2

Re: Car abroad - Inspection period is over

Post by riku2 » Sat May 05, 2018 3:36 pm

which country are you a resident of? in the EU it's illegal to drive a foreign registered car. Greek residents can't drive Finnish registered cars - this is nothing to do with the inspection status but to prevent people avoiding tax by registering a car in another country.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/v ... dex_en.htm

you need to register it in greece "as soon as possible" once registered the greek rules for inspection apply (although they might recognize the finnish inspection - my german registered car didn't need a katsastus for 14 months when I imported it for that reason).