Just got a Finnish identity code. A question

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
undertakerfreak

Post by undertakerfreak » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:30 pm

I applied for a RP (family ties) on the 18th of May. The man who dealt with me said he was confident it would be processed sooner than the nine-month benchmark they give because of how prepared my wife and I were. I’m not too confident it’ll come quicker than nine months based on examples I’ve seen here. So a bit later, I went to the magistrate to register as a foreigner for an identity code. I got it in the mail yesterday.

My question is, is this code essentially useless until I get the RP? I assume I can’t get a Kela card or anything else that requires my code until then, but I’d just like clarification. Kiitos

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

tavastia

Re: Just got a Finnish identity code. A question

Post by tavastia » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:11 am

It's good you get it, most of the cases they ask for RP for it. Check the population registry extract if you have municipality of residence.

ynginvstr

Post by ynginvstr » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:09 am

tavastia wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:11 am
It's good you get it, most of the cases they ask for RP for it. Check the population registry extract if you have municipality of residence.
Sorry , but I've heard this few times and I would like to know what does it mean -- municipality of residence?

Thank you.

undertakerfreak

Post by undertakerfreak » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:37 pm

tavastia wrote:
Not quite sure how to check that.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:40 pm

undertakerfreak wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:30 pm
My question is, is this code essentially useless until I get the RP? I assume I can’t get a Kela card or anything else that requires my code until then, but I’d just like clarification. Kiitos
It's useful for identification but confers no rights on its own.

Rasikko

Post by Rasikko » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:55 pm

^That's a nice way to put it.

RP just grants you the right to STAY in Finland for the time shown on the card(first one is a year). It offers no other rights after that. If I remember correctly, all your rights are gained after handling additional business with the police.

As for the examples you're basing your lack of confidence on, I believe those are mostly people that are trying to get around migri somehow and thus is the reason they are waiting so long. I've read lots of 'stories' here that have come off as suspicious. So don't take the 'experiences' you've read here to heart.

Me personally, I waited 7 months, I think it would have been sooner if I didn't screw up trying to find the building the day of my appointment and had to reschedule, which took another month, because RP appointments are high in demand and you can't be sure you'll get one within a week, or a month.. or a year. The actual waiting time for the decision is separate from other things you need to do first which requires waiting.

onlyforgame

Post by onlyforgame » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:36 am

undertakerfreak wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:37 pm
tavastia wrote:
Not quite sure how to check that.
https://verkkopalvelu.vrk.fi/Omat/Etusivu.aspx

You can check it from here. ID number is every convenient since they ask for it in almost every service.