No impediment certificate

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
EngrSam

Post by EngrSam » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:56 pm

Hi
Me and my fiancee decided to get married in Finland, she is a Finnish citizen but I am a foreigner
I read a lot information about getting married in Finland.. I am ready to certified my no impediment certificate from my country, but I want to ask about her no impediment certificate in Finland they wrote it will take several weeks because I am a foreigner
She tried to apply online and after she complete her part they give her a link for my part .
I know that because I am a foreigner I don't know no impediment certificate for me from Finland, that is right?
I wanted her to complete her no impediment certificate before I came there because I have a job here and I can't stay long time to wait no impediment certificate for her.
Please advise me what to do ?!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

tavastia

Re: No impediment certificate

Post by tavastia » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:06 am

If she s Finnish citizen nothing is needed from her, they have all the data in population register. You will need this certificate that you are not married from your embassy or home country.

undertakerfreak

Post by undertakerfreak » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:50 am

US citizen who married a Finnish citizen here. She never needed a certificate because she's already in the population registry. I received my certificate the day I visited the embassy in Helsinki.

EngrSam

Post by EngrSam » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:58 am

tavastia wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:06 am
If she s Finnish citizen nothing is needed from her, they have all the data in population register. You will need this certificate that you are not married from your embassy or home country.
Thank you :)
But they wrote in maistraatti site you must apply for investigation before marriage ceremony to get no impediment certificate and it will take several weeks if one of the couple is a foreigner.
I can't wait several weeks there so I wanted her to apply for this investigation before I come there.

http://www.maistraatti.fi/fi/Palvelut/v ... 20tutkinta

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:33 am

tavastia wrote:
There is a seven day waiting period for Finns even if no extra information is needed to be supplied with the application.

"Todistuksen saa aikaisintaan seitsemäntenä päivänä tutkinnan pyytämisestä ja se on voimassa 4 kuukautta."

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:51 pm

EngrSam wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:58 am
tavastia wrote:
But they wrote in maistraatti site you must apply for investigation before marriage ceremony to get no impediment certificate and it will take several weeks if one of the couple is a foreigner.
I can't wait several weeks there so I wanted her to apply for this investigation before I come there.

Yes, but they also say if the information is in population register no investigation is needed for Finnish citizen unless he has lived all his life abroad:

Mikäli siviilisäätytieto on merkitty väestötietojärjestelmään, ei vieraan valtion viranomaisen todistusta tarvita esteiden tutkintaa varten. Jos Suomen kansalainen on kuitenkin asunut koko elämänsä tai täysi-ikäisen elämänsä ulkomailla, tulee hänen toimittaa esteiden tutkintaa varten siviilisäätytodistus viimeisimmästä asuinpaikkavaltiostaan.

EngrSam

Post by EngrSam » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:16 pm

undertakerfreak wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:50 am
US citizen who married a Finnish citizen here. She never needed a certificate because she's already in the population registry. I received my certificate the day I visited the embassy in Helsinki.
After you got your certificate from your embassy how much time you needed to get married ?
There is examination before marriage as they wrote in magistrate site and I don't know why she can't apply alone for this examination before I came there

Thank you 🤗

undertakerfreak

Post by undertakerfreak » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:48 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:33 am
tavastia wrote:
There is a seven day waiting period for Finns even if no extra information is needed to be supplied with the application.

"Todistuksen saa aikaisintaan seitsemäntenä päivänä tutkinnan pyytämisestä ja se on voimassa 4 kuukautta."

I find this a bit odd. My wife got her investigation taken care of the day that I got my certificate from the embassy, and the only reason we didn’t get married the very next day is the magistrate had no openings for ceremonies. There was nothing stopping us.

EngrSam

Post by EngrSam » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:58 pm

undertakerfreak wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:48 pm
betelgeuse wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:33 am
tavastia wrote:

I find this a bit odd. My wife got her investigation taken care of the day that I got my certificate from the embassy, and the only reason we didn’t get married the very next day is the magistrate had no openings for ceremonies. There was nothing stopping us.
May I know when that happens ? This year or many years ago?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:24 pm

undertakerfreak wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:48 pm
It's meant to prevent spontaneous marriages.
Section 13 (411/1987)
(1) If the examiner of impediments to marriage finds no statutory impediment to the
marriage, he shall issue a certificate thereof.
(2) The certificate shall not be issued earlier than on the seventh day after the request
for an examination of impediments to marriage was made. The certificate may, however, be issued earlier if there are weighty reasons for the same.
https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/kaannokse ... 290234.pdf