Moving FROM Finland To England

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
chickensexer

Post by chickensexer » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:32 am

Hello Dear All,

This is actually a reversed moving direction topic. :) Hopefully it’s still suitable here. My itchy feet are directing me towards greater London this time. (Thank you very much Penelope for your detailed answer in my other topic).

I believe there are a lot of English people here, who might share their view of such move: a family with a toddler, currently living in Espoo, considering to move to England/Greater London area, like Reading and surroundings (preferably suburban lifestyle).

The idea is that first I find a job there while still here - which might be a question of its own, given the Brexit and all that, - we all move, then my boyfriend looks for a job while already there. Labour market research shows that currently I could be worth around 50-60K £/year in terms of salary over there (my BF could be slightly below that).

So, what do you guys think of such move in both economic and broader family life quality aspects? Any opinions are welcome.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rosamunda

Re: Moving FROM Finland To England

Post by Rosamunda » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:01 pm

I'm from Reading originally and still visit the area 3-4 times a year to see family.
Property is very expensive to buy and rents are high. Daycare for your toddler will take a massive chunk out of your salary. House prices and rents are very high in areas where there are good state schools (postcode system for getting a place).
It is unlikely you would be better off there than here financially.
Finding a job is probably the easiest hurdle to leap at this stage.

chickensexer

Post by chickensexer » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:38 pm

Thank you very much Rosamunda.

Can you possibly elaborate a little what is considered a very expensive property price/rent? And at what age children move from a (very expensive) daycare to (presumably free?) school?

We are not expecting the move to elevate us financially right away but rather there is a significantly more job and consequent professional growth opportunities for my line of work in England than here. Plus, a couple of subjective reasons, such as climate, language etc.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:05 pm

I think my neice is paying around £800 MTH for a small flat in an area where there is almost no public transport (she has to have a car) but there is a good primary school nearby. Her toddler will move from daycare to primary school next year. The rule is that the child must turn 5 years of age before the end of their first academic year. So many children are only 4 yrs old when they start school. The school day finishes around 3 or 3:30 pm and after-school care is again pricey... Assuming you can find a place.

You can find more info about property prices online. Tennant's have very little protection in the UK. It's a landlord's market.

chickensexer

Post by chickensexer » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:50 pm

Thank you again Risamunda. 800£ For a small flat sounds similar to prices here in Espoo, and we are car (as opposed to public transport) type of people anyways. Besides, the intention is to buy a property as soon as we feel knowledgeable enough about the market and the areas, i.e. after a couple of years. Do you know what kind of arrangements are there for after school care? If I remember correct, here preschool and primary school day ends quite early, too.

Would you be so kind as to share names of a few good school neighborhoods outside Reading, and a preferred website to check properties, rental and for sale?

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:20 am

I would have to Google to find schools and estate agents. I don't have any personal recommendations so it probably makes sense that you look yourself.
All schools are inspected by Ofsted so it is quite easy to find information on those online.

chickensexer

Post by chickensexer » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:50 am

Well, I didn’t know about Ofsted, so there is a good starting point for me right there. Thank you! :)

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:28 pm

My neice told me that her toddler's day care is £74 per day.