Residence permit application on the basis of family ties when your spouse is a Finnish citizen 2017- 2018

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
jarikaija

Re: Residence permit application on the basis of family ties when your spouse is a Finnish citizen 2017- 2018

Post by jarikaija » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:57 am

I am definitely calling them again on Tuesday and maybe will call border security as well, as it seems to be a typical situation with the authorities - one is saying one thing, the other something else... :shock:
You can count on that! On another web sites they warn not to go out of Finland. Need to get Visa for entering Finland again... etc....

Re: Residence permit application on the basis of family ties when your spouse is a Finnish citizen 2017- 2018

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

HannahBanana

Post by HannahBanana » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:48 am

OK U.S.A. peeps, I now have reliable information as I actually took it upon myself to e-mail the Finnish border security and got a surprisingly speedy reply. A US citizen, whose immigration process is ongoing, is allowed to travel in and out of Finland even after the 90 days in Schengen area in the past 180 are up. This has a few requirements though:
- Must only travel to and from Finland directly outside Schengen (so, for example, directly from Helsinki to LAX in our case, no layovers within Schengen)
- Passport has to be valid for 3 months after re-entering Finland and
- It is recommended to have a copy of the Migri paper stating your RP is in process with you when you travel

If your 90 days within 180 days are not over however, you have no problem travelling back and forth with as many layovers as your heart pleases.

I'm definitely printing that e-mail and giving it to my fiancé when he flies out to the States, as we all know, the more paper you have, the better!!!

Radioactive

Post by Radioactive » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:22 pm

M00nbean wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:35 am
Hi again!

My hubby came home from work yesterday and we completed the application together and added a ton of attachments (including pictures of my divorce papers which I haven't sent to be legalized yet). We figured they would contact us and inform us that it needs to be legalized anyway, or would tell us at the immigration service point when we visit on Aug. 3rd. So we will then tell them that we will send them to USA to be stamped with the apostille and mailed back, and we will submit either in person or online (not sure which they will want).
Fellow Kentucky resident here: probably faster to just get a new copy from the Department of Vital Statistics, and have them send it to Secretary of State to apostile. They have it set up to do that on the system and it's quick (marriage and birth certificates were both created and legalized and in my hands in less than 4 days, but I'm still in Kentucky). It was cheap too, maybe $20. Hardest part for you is that they called me to pay for Apostile over the phone, not sure how that and mailing to Finland direct would work but should be possible. The people that work there are super helpful and friendly.

As for me, applied and interviewed in NYC on 3\27\18, just waiting for the approval. Was put into processing the same day as applied and interviewed. Says it'll be approved anywhere from 1 month ago to December. Waiting on the permit to apply for Quality Engineering jobs in Helsinki/Espoo/Vantaa and Oulu. Hopefully our family will move at some point in the next year.

M00nbean

Post by M00nbean » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:19 pm

Moi everyone!

Just posting here to give everyone an update on my residence permit status! (:

As of today I have proved my identity at the immigration office in Helsinki (which was packed and smelled like body odor btw) and my application now says "waiting for processing". Just to be clear you cannot receive a personal identification code until after you have gotten your residence permit, as clarified per the immigration officer who assisted me and my hubs.

The process was fairly easy, though we encountered a small issue at first (figured I would share it here so that everyone knows).

Whenever my husband and I got married at the magistrate in Espoo, they asked me if I would change my last name to his, and I ofc said yes. Nobody mentioned anything about this possibly being a problem for me at the immigration office.

The officer asked to see my passport and our marriage certificate and asked if I had changed my name on my passport to which I replied no, because how would I do so when I am in Finland and not USA? He then proceeded to ALMOST deny my residence permit application right then and there (i'm assuming as a failure to identify myself) but before he did so he went to consult with other coworkers or his boss (i'm guessing), and luckily he came back and gave us the option to either apply for the residence permit as (insert my first name and old last name) and change it later for 80 euros, or send my passport away to be changed to my new last name as soon as possible, then come back to the immigration office with the new passport.

We opted out for keeping my old last name and changing it later for the 80e.

He mentioned nothing about my divorce papers, but asked to take copies of the original.

Few moments later he printed the paper stating that I am legally staying here until a decision has been made and we were good to go.

I did not ask anything about the processing times or anything menial as I figured he would have no certain answer or the same 5-9 months that I have seen beforehand.

I assume we will have to send my divorce papers to USA to be legalized but maybe not? I will wait until they contact me before doing so.

So that's about it, now its just a waiting game. :P

HannahBanana

Post by HannahBanana » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:31 pm

M00nbean wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:19 pm
Just to be clear you cannot receive a personal identification code until after you have gotten your residence permit, as clarified per the immigration officer who assisted me and my hubs.
Lol, this is classic Migri! Our worker specifically told us to go to Maistraatti and apply for my fiancé's henkilötunnus (social security number) after we've gotten married. So that's exactly what we're going to do. The worst they can say is no. :D

M00nbean

Post by M00nbean » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:25 am

I may see if I can do the same.

Purely because if I'm going to be waiting here for 5-9 months without health insurance or anything, I would like to at least have a PIN so that I could see a public doctor instead of a private. Try to save the hubs some money.

I tend to get sick at least once a year during the winter months, and we are currently trying to start a family so health insurance would be nice but I'll take what I can get, lol.

On the bright side, I am ready for cold weather!!! It has been so hot in Espoo, my sister in law and I both agree it's best to stay in front of our fans all day :roll: :lol:

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:31 am

M00nbean wrote:
The officer asked to see my passport and our marriage certificate and asked if I had changed my name on my passport to which I replied no, because how would I do so when I am in Finland and not USA?
https://fi.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se ... passports/
see the New passport will reflect name change (e.g. due marriage, divorce)
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

M00nbean

Post by M00nbean » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:28 pm

Upphew wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:31 am
M00nbean wrote:
The officer asked to see my passport and our marriage certificate and asked if I had changed my name on my passport to which I replied no, because how would I do so when I am in Finland and not USA?
https://fi.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se ... passports/
see the New passport will reflect name change (e.g. due marriage, divorce)
Yes, I googled it once we were out of the office.

I will have it taken care of after getting the permit, lol.

undertakerfreak

Post by undertakerfreak » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:34 pm

M00nbean wrote:

As of today I have proved my identity at the immigration office in Helsinki (which was packed and smelled like body odor btw) and my application now says "waiting for processing". Just to be clear you cannot receive a personal identification code until after you have gotten your residence permit, as clarified per the immigration officer who assisted me and my hubs.
BS. I applied for an RP in May and registered my municipality of residence soon after, and they gave me a personal identity code in the mail within a week. Please don't spread false information.

undertakerfreak

Post by undertakerfreak » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:37 pm

My story:

Applied in person with my wife 18 May. As expected, I've heard nothing from immigration about the status of my application or interviews or anything. At least I don't have to wait in the !"#¤% US.

latikajamal

Post by latikajamal » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:56 pm

undertakerfreak wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:34 pm
M00nbean wrote:

BS. I applied for an RP in May and registered my municipality of residence soon after, and they gave me a personal identity code in the mail within a week. Please don't spread false information.
Yeah!!!! I got mine(personal identity code) the same day after my wedding last Dec 2017😊
I applied my first residence permit 1week after the wedding and granted less than 3weeks😊 I applied my Kela card and got it in 2 weeks😊 now I already booked my appointment this November for the extension of my residence permit😊 #realtalk

undertakerfreak

Post by undertakerfreak » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:11 pm

latikajamal wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:56 pm
undertakerfreak wrote:
M00nbean wrote:

Yeah!!!! I got mine(personal identity code) the same day after my wedding last Dec 2017😊
I applied my first residence permit 1week after the wedding and granted less than 3weeks😊 I applied my Kela card and got it in 2 weeks😊 now I already booked my appointment this November for the extension of my residence permit😊 #realtalk
How in the blue hell did you get everything approved so quickly? I've been waiting for three months and I haven't heard so much as a peep.

latikajamal

Post by latikajamal » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:18 pm

undertakerfreak wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:11 pm
latikajamal wrote:
undertakerfreak wrote:

How in the blue hell did you get everything approved so quickly? I've been waiting for three months and I haven't heard so much as a peep.
I dont know, maybe I'm pregnant that time😊
Try to search my recent post (pregnant,unmarried)
If I have time,I will continue posting on my thread based on my experiences here in Finland 😊

undertakerfreak

Post by undertakerfreak » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:31 pm

latikajamal wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:18 pm
undertakerfreak wrote:
latikajamal wrote:

If I have time,I will continue posting on my thread based on my experiences here in Finland 😊
So, you mean to tell me that you applied for a RP and got a positive decision in THREE WEEKS?

This reeks of shadiness. I'm willing to bet your husband, given his social status, greased some palms with cash along the way.

latikajamal

Post by latikajamal » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:48 pm

undertakerfreak wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:31 pm
latikajamal wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:18 pm
undertakerfreak wrote:

So, you mean to tell me that you applied for a RP and got a positive decision in THREE WEEKS?

This reeks of shadiness. I'm willing to bet your husband, given his social status, greased some palms with cash along the way.
Hahaha😂 Do you think it's possible here in Finland?