TV/Radio reception in blocks of flats

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
pixelation3

Post by pixelation3 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:08 pm

I tried connecting my TV to the cable line(DNA) on the wall of my apartment and found the video quality to be very poor (it looks like a PAL resolution rather than HD) so I went and bought an antenna to try to get better quality video. I figured since I live in the capital region I should have a strong signal over the air.

However when I plugged the antenna in to my TV and scanned for channels it found nothing even after moving the antenna next to the window. I live in one of those old grey/concrete blocks of flats built about 50+ years ago on the ground floor so I'm wondering if it's even possible to get TV over the air in this type of building due to materials and other surrounding identical buildings.

I was considering getting a radio but would I even be able to get a radio signal? I noticed there's an outlet marked radio in one room though I've never seen that connection type before and it's not in the room I'd like to use the radio in.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

riku2

Re: TV/Radio reception in blocks of flats

Post by riku2 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:39 pm

There are two types of digital tv in finland: DVB-C and DVB-T. One is for cable tv and one for broadcast (terrestrial tv). The tv antenna will pick up DVB-T type but are you sure the TV handles DVB-T also (most tv's are now DVB-C/DVB-T but a while ago there were different models for each type). If it is DVB-T did you search for DVB-T channels. If you were using the cable before then it might still be set to DVB-C. I'm assuming your TV does have a digital tuner, since there is no analog broadcasting now.
From your description of PAL resolution it might be that the building has some kind of digital -> analog conversion so that people can use really old tv's without a digital tuner. So perhaps this is the case.
Last edited by riku2 on Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:30 am

For cable TV you need DVB-C tuner, for Terrestrial (what you get from the "Air" :ochesey: you need DVB-T tuner. Just as riku explained.
Most modern tuners support multiple if not all spectrums and also multiple encoding for the digital stream. (eg MPEG 4)
You need the correct settings when scanning for channels, I advise you to scan for both analog and digital at the same time and later remove what is duplicate.

For antenna you can purchase one or you can make one yourself, that will work even better than the crap ones sold at stores.
Vertical polarization is the way to go, with an antenna wavelength 1/4 of the Wavelength for a compact size.

pixelation3

Post by pixelation3 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:16 pm

The TV is an somewhat old used one that has the DVB-T logo printed on it. Doesn't seem to say anything about supporting DVB-C which is why I suspect the signal from the cable outlet is somehow DVB-T even though the building has a contract with DNA (I'm using the same outlet for internet so I suppose that has to mean the TV signal on the same line must be supplied by DNA rather than an antenna on the roof).

Yeah the small antenna from the store isn't great, ideally one outside would be best (can't do that with renting unfortunately) but I would've expected it to pick up at least a couple of channels. I've used the same sort in the last country I lived in and it always picked up something even if a few channels would sometimes be interrupted by wind moving tree branches outside.
For even the basic indoor antenna to pick up nothing makes me think the construction of the building is completely blocking the signal but then again I do get a signal on my mobile (though surely the nearest mobile tower is probably a lot closer). Perhaps I could try to make an antenna out of a pringles can...

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:02 pm

Directional (aka high gain) antenna might not work out good since you will need to rotate it to the source of the signal. And if you will be watching more than one channel and if these multiple channels are transmitted from multiple towers you will need to rotate it every time :ochesey:
But you can always try if you have spare time, I would suggest a Yagi-style antenna although many other successful designs have been tested during the past years. Or you can buy better antenna online (e.g. eBay)...
Good luck!

Nope, the wavelength of the signal is so big that the building should not be a problem. Plus electromagnetic waves always reflect of something.
The frequency is lower than 600-700 MHz which is ideal. For example, your smartphone operates at 1200 MHz or even higher and you still get perfect reception even in basements of concrete buildings!!!
So the problem is somewhere else.

What you can try: find a neighbor who has a TV with the same capabilities and explain him your problem. Then try to search Terrestrial channels on your neighbor's TV (use your antenna. And see what channels you will get!

Only thing I can't help you with is whether you need to bring vodka or beer for the favor! :ochesey: :ochesey: :ochesey:

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:47 am

Gabe wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:02 pm
For example, your smartphone operates at 1200 MHz or even higher and you still get perfect reception even in basements of concrete buildings!!!
Might drop to 2G though and it operates at 900MHz. Newer buildings do have problem with all radio devices as the modern windows have metal films to help with insulation. Might be problem with older houses that have new windows too...
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.