More English langauage school places in Espoo

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
dmpill

Post by dmpill » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:03 pm

Espoo City is considering more English-language school places, either through approving plans for a (private sector) New Nordic School and/or by having more/other public-side school places available in English. However, I hear from the Educational Committee that makes the decision that no parents except me have so far contacted them saying more places are needed. They were under the impression that since not all places are filled in the International School, there must be no demand. To get them up to speed on the real situation, they need input from us parents ahead of their Nov 14 meeting.

So anyone who wants more English-language school places in Espoo, or who has any stories to share about being declined for the existing places and what impact that had on your kids and families, please send an email cc:ing all the committee members, here:

[Mod edit to remove 3rd-party email addresses] Since the moderators have removed the emails that the city of Espoo itself has made public, you'll have to get them yourself, here: https://www.espoo.fi/fi-FI/Espoon_kaupu ... ta/Jasenet . Click the link on each member's name and it will give you the email. We are supposed to write to all of them, but if you can't, then at least write to Marika Niemi, who is the Chair.

We have a real chance here to make a difference and get the school places our kids need!

Dana
Last edited by dmpill on Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: More English langauage school places in Espoo

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:00 pm

Sharing other people's email addresses online, regardless of the issue at hand, is terrible online conduct. Furthermore, you're asking people to effectively spam those addresses. Would have been much better to ask interested people to contact you instead.

dmpill

Re: More English langauage school places in Espoo

Post by dmpill » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:26 pm

The head of the committee said they need to hear from parents and that we should write to all of the committee members. Given that, I don't think that they are going to view emails about school places as spam. In addition, the email addresses are published for all to see on the City website, so I am not putting anything in the public domain that isn't already there.