Applying for RP before coming to Finland, but receiving it in Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
_doctor

Post by _doctor » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:40 pm

Hi All

I am a Finnish Citizen, my wife is a Russian citizen with an active visa, our common infant daughter is a Finnish citizen.
We are about to move to Finland in a couple of weeks and wait for RP for the wife in Finland.

- Is it a good idea to submit application for residence permit on enterfinland.fi already now (to get RP a couple of weeks earlier) yet validate the identity already in Finland at migri.fi point?
- Has anybody tried it?

And since we both do not live in Finland yet, would it work if I put my employer address as a contact address (employer won't mind).

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

KattyTheKitty

Re: Applying for RP before coming to Finland, but receiving it in Finland

Post by KattyTheKitty » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:19 pm

_doctor wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:40 pm
Hi All

I am a Finnish Citizen, my wife is a Russian citizen with an active visa, our common infant daughter is a Finnish citizen.
We are about to move to Finland in a couple of weeks and wait for RP for the wife in Finland.

- Is it a good idea to submit application for residence permit on enterfinland.fi already now (to get RP a couple of weeks earlier) yet validate the identity already in Finland at migri.fi point?
- Has anybody tried it?

And since we both do not live in Finland yet, would it work if I put my employer address as a contact address (employer won't mind).

1. I think you can do that. Submit application to book an appointment first, and when you are in Finland already, then you can identify your wife's ID. Just make sure that you brings all the requirements! Because once you have identified yourself, they will give you a paper that says "you are not allowed to go abroad while waiting for the decision". RP will be proccessed when you have visited migri and identified yourself. So just sit, and wait. Just remember, everyone case is unique. :D In my case, I received positive decision in less than a week.

2. About the address, I'm not sure about that. Since there will be a question about where do you guys live. But you can always contact migri about it. They will reply your email!

_doctor

Post by _doctor » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:25 pm

"you are not allowed to go abroad while waiting for the decision"
Oh?! Is it so indeed? We actually were going to travel out-in Finland while her visa is active (then she certainly would have to stay within Finland).
2. About the address, I'm not sure about that. Since there will be a question about where do you guys live. But you can always contact migri about it. They will reply your email!
We will live in Finland, just don't have a permanent apartment yet. I'll try asking migri, thanks!

KattyTheKitty

Post by KattyTheKitty » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:25 pm

_doctor wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:25 pm
"you are not allowed to go abroad while waiting for the decision"
Oh?! Is it so indeed? We actually were going to travel out-in Finland while her visa is active (then she certainly would have to stay within Finland).
We will live in Finland, just don't have a permanent apartment yet. I'll try asking migri, thanks!
If her schengen visa is still active, I think you can only travel within schengen countries but not outside schengen areas because she may need a visa to be able to go back to Finland If she is travelling outside schengen areas. Migri will reccommend you to stay in Finland while waiting for the decision though. At least, that's what they told me. :)

About the permanent apartement, I'm living with my husband in an apartement, and he is just renting it, but he has been living here for at least 5 years. And yes, I put his apartement address and migri is okay with it. As long as you put her name on your mailbox as well.

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:42 pm

Once you selected the service point as the embassy, you can only receive the card there, not in Finland.

KattyTheKitty

Post by KattyTheKitty » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:34 pm

tavastia wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:42 pm
Once you selected the service point as the embassy, you can only receive the card there, not in Finland.
Good advice. OP needs to make sure that he chooses a migri service point anywhere in Finland and If he doesn't have finnish bank, pay directly at migri.