Northern Irish man (UK citizenship) looking to move to oulu for work and my new girl

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Kennydiggles

Northern Irish man (UK citizenship) looking to move to oulu for work and my new girl

Post by Kennydiggles » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:21 am

Ummm hey everyone, new to the forum but I've seen alot of people get help and great advise on here but none that really relates to me and I need help so bad.

I think I'm the same as most of the Brits on here who has a Finnish girlfriend but unfortunately I have only been dating her for a week now yet been in finland 4 times in the last 2 years.

I'm a chef in full time employment and have been for just over 3 years with a gap between working in retail for 2 years. I have been doing my basic chef degree and wonder would that been enough plus my experience to possibly land me a job somewhere? I have looked up chef jobs and seems there our plenty but do ask for a degree. Also another issue I feel I may face is I dont speak any Finnish but willing to study it in classes.

What I'm trying to find out is what all would I need to move there and what way to go about it as I'm quite confused with the matter.

(please help)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: Northern Irish man (UK citizenship) looking to move to oulu for work and my new girl

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:00 am

As for staying and legally residing, see: https://migri.fi/en/i-want-to-apply

You will need "hygieniapassi" in order to work in a restaurant kitchen: https://hygieniapassi.fi/english

If I was you, in addition to what job postings are available, I'd contact restaurants directly and see if that way there would be an opening. Even if for a shorter period, it will still work a lot in your favor for getting the next job. Polish your CV (whilst remaining honest), the most you can lose is a little bit of effort.

Kennydiggles

Re: Northern Irish man (UK citizenship) looking to move to oulu for work and my new girl

Post by Kennydiggles » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:42 pm

Thank you, I will look into the getting in contact with job directly. But with the hygiene pass do I need a Finnish one or would mine from Britain be valid?

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:55 pm

You would need a Finnish one

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:30 am

Bofore doing any move familarise yourself with the salary levels in the service industry. Also note that tips are not common in Finland unless you are working for high-end restaurants...