Requerimients for entering with a residence permit

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
vla

Post by vla » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:17 am

Hi!

In a few weeks I am moving to Finland. This is the first time I move with a residence permit for the grounds of work, the other times I was always there as a tourist for less than 90 days.

I am familiar with the requirements when going as a tourist, such as return ticket, accommodation bookings, travel insurance, prove of economic solvency, etc.

How does it work when I am moving there for work? I will be entering the Schengen territory through Spain. I have the Finnish residence permit and the work contract. Do I need anything else?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Requerimients for entering with a residence permit

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:07 am

vla wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:17 am
How does it work when I am moving there for work? I will be entering the Schengen territory through Spain. I have the Finnish residence permit and the work contract. Do I need anything else?
You do not.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:05 pm

betelgeuse is correct in that, in theory, you do not need anything other than your residence permit and passport. In practice, however, it's a slightly different story.

The passport control officer needs to be convinced that you have the right to enter, and sometimes merely having the residence permit and passport will not convince them. For this reason, be prepared to answer simple questions such as where you'll be working, showing them your work contract if they ask for it, showing them your CV if they ask for it, showing them your university degree if it's on your CV and if they ask for it, etc.

Most people aren't asked for anything, but some are. Many years ago when I entered on a student residence permit for the first time, I was asked to show university acceptance letter, my high school diploma, and the bank statement.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

vla

Post by vla » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:49 pm

Beep_Boop wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:05 pm
betelgeuse is correct in that, in theory, you do not need anything other than your residence permit and passport. In practice, however, it's a slightly different story.
Thanks, that's exactly what I thought. Is there any official list of the documents they might ask for? I have checked in the EU website and the Spanish ministry of foreign affairs but found nothing. I will go to the Spanish consulate to ask for guidance anyway, and collect all the possible documents just in case.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:52 pm

Nothing official. I would say that anything submitted in your residence permit application is a good place to start.