Which room rent will KELA pay as housing support?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
lifeisfun

Post by lifeisfun » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:26 am

Hello people,

I have a confusing situation. I have found a nice room (very small but in the very near to the centre and a bit expensive than the old one) from 01.01.2019 but as it is already December I could not cancel my current room. If I take that new room from January, then I have two room in January. Of course, I will stay in the new room from 01.01.2019 and change my everything to the new address. I get housing support from KELA for the current room and this old room is a bit cheaper.

My question is: for which room will KELA pay in January as housing support? What do you suggest I should do?

I would appreciate answers from someone who knows exactly or who has experienced such a situation.

Thank you.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

bm50
AKA cockney

Re: Which room rent will KELA pay as housing support?

Post by bm50 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:56 pm

Home exchange
You do not have to make a change of address to Kela. Kela receives customer address information directly from the Population Information System, so it's enough to report the change there. A change notice can be made at www.muuttoilmoitus.fi , by a local register office or by a postal form. According to the law, notification must be made no later than one week after the change.

The new Kela card does not have to be ordered for change.

The home exchange can affect the following Kela benefits, so you have to report the change to Kela.

You reapply for housing benefit this can be done online or paper form buy post or visit Kela.

lifeisfun

Post by lifeisfun » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:57 pm

bm50 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:56 pm
Home exchange
You do not have to make a change of address to Kela. Kela receives customer address information directly from the Population Information System, so it's enough to report the change there. A change notice can be made at www.muuttoilmoitus.fi , by a local register office or by a postal form. According to the law, notification must be made no later than one week after the change.

The new Kela card does not have to be ordered for change.

The home exchange can affect the following Kela benefits, so you have to report the change to Kela.

You reapply for housing benefit this can be done online or paper form buy post or visit Kela.
Thanks for your helpful information. From your information, what I understand is that:
as I will notify my address changes to KELA via online (Maistratti and others) and I will have to notify KELA about the new room with my new contract about the housing support by reapplying within a week, KELA will pay according to rent of my new room. Is it what you meant?

Please correct me if I have understood it incorrectly.

bm50
AKA cockney

Post by bm50 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:26 pm

Hi,

I think better apply to Kela now and notice of change of address, so it will give Kela time to sort it out, and you will need copy of rent agreement and proof of rent for Kela :thumbsup:

lifeisfun

Post by lifeisfun » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:43 pm

bm50 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:26 pm
Hi,

I think better apply to Kela now and notice of change of address, so it will give Kela time to sort it out, and you will need copy of rent agreement and proof of rent for Kela :thumbsup:
Hey,
Thanks again.

As per your advice, right after I get the contract, it would be better if I could notify online about the change of address from 01.01.2019 and reapply KELA housing support with the new room contract from 01.01.2019.

Will I have to show KELA the termination paper of the old room when I apply to KELA for support for the new room?
I am asking because if I take the new room, then I have two rooms for January (as I can not notify my present landlord about the termination of my room from January). Are there any rules, that KELA will pay for the cheaper one if someone has two rooms for a month at the same time?

bm50
AKA cockney

Post by bm50 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:03 pm

Why can't you inform your landlord of your new apartment? If you are sure you are moving to this new apartment then you should make the notification of new address now and also contact Kela, yes Kela will need a copy of your new rent agreement.Do you mean you don't have time to give your old landlord notice of leaving? Do you owe rent? Does the landlord owe you money return of deposit etc? I would not wait I would contact Kela for advice.

lifeisfun

Post by lifeisfun » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:53 pm

bm50 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:03 pm
Why can't you inform your landlord of your new apartment? If you are sure you are moving to this new apartment then you should make the notification of new address now and also contact Kela, yes Kela will need a copy of your new rent agreement.Do you mean you don't have time to give your old landlord notice of leaving? Do you owe rent? Does the landlord owe you money return of deposit etc? I would not wait I would contact Kela for advice.
Thanks for your reply. According to the housing laws/requirements/contract agreements in Finland, one must cancel the contract one calendar month earlier (latest), otherwise, one needs to pay one month rent. So, if I cancel my contract now, I must pay January rent to my existing landlord because cancellation now (until 31st December) means I am moving out from 1st of February.