Residence permit and unemployment

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Juliash

Post by Juliash » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:00 pm

Hello!
I have a complicated situation as regards residence permit. I have been living in Finland since 2002 but always with a student visa until four years ago I got a residence permit for work. Now my permit is expiring, and I could be entitled to the permanent residence permit. But in the meanwhile I lost my job, and now I am unemployed. My current income is benefits from Kela. It seems that I have no grounds to apply for the permanent residence permit, as well as for other residence permits, loosing all my efforts of many years. I also completed my PhD degree in Finland two years ago, but cannot find an employment based on my studies as well. Any advice?
Thank you!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

rinso

Re: Residence permit and unemployment

Post by rinso » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:25 pm

but cannot find an employment based on my studies as well
Since it seems that work is critical for the new RP, you should look for any kind of work. Restricting yourself to your field of study is to much of a handicap.

biryvih

Post by biryvih » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:39 pm

You can apply for citizenship. You won't need any job for that.

Juliash

Post by Juliash » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:04 pm

I see... Citizenship is out of question, since I do not speak Finnish. I have been working in an international environment all time.

Juliash

Post by Juliash » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:15 pm

rinso wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:25 pm
but cannot find an employment based on my studies as well
Since it seems that work is critical for the new RP, you should look for any kind of work. Restricting yourself to your field of study is to much of a handicap.
Would "any kind of work" be sufficient? I have read that in order to apply for a permanent permit I need to keep the same work as before or a similar one/in the same field. On the other hand, as someone graduated in Finland, as I know, I can stay only if I am employed as an expert in the field of my studies.

biryvih

Post by biryvih » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:37 pm

Would "any kind of work" be sufficient?
Yep, as you've completed your education in Finland, so I believe there shouldn't be any restrictions.. Unless you have some restrictions on your current permit. If there isn't any, than do whatever you like.

And still "working in international environment" is not an excuse to not to learn Finnish.. It is always a good idea to keep your options open.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:58 pm

If you have been living here for more than 15 years surely you have picked up some Finnish. I would think with a quick course or 2 you should be ready for the citizenship test (YKI). It isn’t that difficult and you don’t have to be perfect or fluent at all. You only need to pass 2 specific combinations of sections even.

Juliash

Post by Juliash » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:43 pm

biryvih wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:37 pm
Would "any kind of work" be sufficient?
Yep, as you've completed your education in Finland, so I believe there shouldn't be any restrictions.. Unless you have some restrictions on your current permit. If there isn't any, than do whatever you like.
My current work permit is made for work in one field (although it is not bound by an exact employer): is this a restriction? My education is completed in another field.

Juliash

Post by Juliash » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:44 pm

heretostay wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:58 pm
If you have been living here for more than 15 years surely you have picked up some Finnish. I would think with a quick course or 2 you should be ready for the citizenship test (YKI). It isn’t that difficult and you don’t have to be perfect or fluent at all. You only need to pass 2 specific combinations of sections even.
Thank you: I surely picked up some Finnish, but it is not a matter of one-two courses to improve it to the state of the YKI.and the visa question should be solved urgently.

browndude

Post by browndude » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:20 pm

I must say that I am a bit shocked to see that the OP has lived here for 16 years, did a PhD, wants to keep living here but has not learnt enough Finnish to pass even the YKI test.
ImageImage

vla

Post by vla » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:52 pm

browndude wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:20 pm
I must say that I am a bit shocked to see that the OP has lived here for 16 years, did a PhD, wants to keep living here but has not learnt enough Finnish to pass even the YKI test.
I think we all are.