Local British idiot seeks advice

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
tavastia

Re: Local British idiot seeks advice

Post by tavastia » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:23 am

You shall get the EU registration paper right away when you visit Migri office. 1st one is valid for 5 years and after is a permanent one.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

AllieBee

Post by AllieBee » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:21 pm

tavastia wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:23 am
You shall get the EU registration paper right away when you visit Migri office. 1st one is valid for 5 years and after is a permanent one.
I already visited, and this didn't happen. I have been told to give them a copy of my work contract and then await their approval via the website.

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:59 am

Because it's normally the other way around. You 1st apply online, add needed documents (copy of passport + work contract) and then visit their office to see the original documents. If there are no issues this registration paper is given on the spot.

AllieBee

Post by AllieBee » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:02 pm

Yes, I applied online, added my needed documents, but they required something extra. :) They told me at the time they don't give out registration papers on the spot anyway, and that I'd need to expect 1-2 weeks for administration. Maybe it was just the person I saw.

Just posting my experiences here for anyone planning something similar!

AllieBee

Post by AllieBee » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:27 pm

Hello guys! It's been a little while, but I wanted to do another update here. The pages online are a little confusing about this, so I wanted to make a really clear guide for what is what when it comes to EU expats.

You do not receive your personal ID number from Migri - at least, not unless you want to possibly wait weeks/months. From what I understand, you will need to go to a registry office and the tax office separately. Migri is not an all-in-one and they did not give me a personal ID number when I visited.

Helsinki does have a registry office in its capital, so I went there. I was asked to fill in a form which was basic information about me - name, personal info, Finnish address, reason for staying, estimated length of staying, work information. The person I spoke to was relieved I had already applied to Migri but confirmed that was a different process than registering yourself. The registry office has extended my temporary permit to a year and has said to come back for a permanent residency once Migri has processed me completely.

(They also consistently, in paperwork and orally, refer to the personal ID number as a social security number. Confirm with them what they mean while there if you get confused).

I was given a personal ID number the next day and I went straight to the tax office upstairs, who were able to give me a tax card for both this year and for 2019 within 15 minutes. :ochesey:

So as a summary:
- Apply to Migri
- Go to the registry office for your personal ID number
- Then go to the tax office for your tax card
- Wait for Migri decision. Go back to registry office for permanent residency once you have been processed.

(It's not necessary to apply for Migri first, but since Migri takes the longest and can be done online, it makes sense to have that part done as soon as possible).

This was covered in this link (given to me on the first page of this thread) but I'm supremely silly (well, the thread title became very legit in this case) and honestly thought Migri was both the Local Register Office and the Finnish Immigration Service :( My workplace unfortunately didn't correct this assumption and no one mentioned this when I went to Migri, likely because they thought I already knew. Reading back through this thread, there's a lot of contrasting advice/information given so perhaps it's all just inconsistent in general?

I'll update this thread once more if I find out anything else, or if anything changes. This is what I've been told and/or have experienced myself along my residency journey - I hope it helps anyone else looking around for an idea of what it's like to move here in 2018. Happy holidays!

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:28 am

Migri will give you on the spot the right of residence paper that you have registered as EU citizen living in Finland... This is valid for 5 years. After you need to apply again for a permanent right.

Registry office don't give permanent residency, you probably got a personal identity number which is marked as temporary. After you have the registration paper from Migri they will marked it as permanent.

After you have the registration paper from Migri, apply for Kela also. Don't apply now as you are considered temporary in Finland.

AllieBee

Post by AllieBee » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:28 pm

Hi tavastia - I do remember your last post about this, but Migri didn't give me anything like that. I asked about it and they said I have to wait for their decision. So far my application hasn't even been processed, and the registry office are the ones that gave me a temporary residence. They did say to come back once Migri has processed me so they can register me permanently.

If this is different from your own knowledge and/or experiences, it only shows inconsistency in the information given to expats. I have no doubt this is the way it has worked or still does for some, but I've asked a few employees now from both Migri and the registry office and this is what I have been told.

I'll make sure to apply for Kela, thank you! I was luckily told I could only do that once registered as a permanent resident, so I'm glad this matches up.

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:09 am

You had all attachments needed with you applied online or visited the service point? My friends got it on the spot, also on their website it said: "The Finnish Immigration Service will give you a registration certificate when you visit one of our service points to submit your application on paper or to prove your identity after submitting your application online."

However, each application is different, so your experience may not be the same as others. You cannot compare two applications.

AllieBee

Post by AllieBee » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:58 pm

All attachments they required have been on my application for 6 weeks, and it's waiting for processing. I met with them at a service point, but all they did was confirm my identity by checking my passport. So I guess this might happen as well - not sure what was different, but it bears keeping in mind for anyone else planning a move. (:

esox

Post by esox » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:21 pm

It would seem the case that you need a lot of qualifications here in Finland however don’t be put off real time experience supersedes sitting in a classroom in some cases. Certainly in the field I am actively employed in, they prefer people who have done the job through an apprenticeship or just learned as they go. The kids from collages have been useless and lazy. The tide is turning here it’s becoming more like the uk. While I’m here is ‘adnan’ still on this forum trolling people making them feel bad then telling us how awesome his life is? On every thread. I’m quite sure I know who he is actually.

biryvih

Post by biryvih » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:21 am

esox wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:21 pm
While I’m here is ‘adnan’ still on this forum trolling people making them feel bad then telling us how awesome his life is? On every thread. I’m quite sure I know who he is actually.
I think he goes by the name of "Beep_Boop" and his trolling is rather boring and he/she gets offended way too fast. But I really hope he/she is living an amazing life, because why not. If that person is happy by being a troll, who are we to judge :ochesey:

agroot

Post by agroot » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:16 pm

AllieBee wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:29 pm
It has been lovely settling in, although the public transport costs are hurting! I can't wait to be able to get a travel card at citizen rates.
They have a special rate of travel card for citizens? I found only https://www.hsl.fi/en/tickets-and-fares ... ravel-card

the season tickets are shockingly cheap compared to asian countries!

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:17 am

There is no such thing like card for citizens... it's about the municipality where you live.

https://www.hsl.fi/en/tickets-and-fares -> Select "Season tickets", if you don't live into the capital area the prices are much higher (select Other)

AllieBee

Post by AllieBee » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:29 pm

Without your ID number, you have to pay twice the amount per month iirc. :) It's in the booklet they give out at the travel centre in Helsinki, and a rep told me herself when I asked about getting one. This is not about ticket costs, it's the travel card itself that you prepay for a month etc.

Also, apologies for saying citizen, I meant resident. Or at least someone who has what they call a "social security number" but isn't one :ochesey:

As an update for me, Migri has asked for even more supplementary information for my application. Now they have asked for bank statements and pay slips for my first 2 months of work here before they will process my application further. Wish me luck!

agroot

Post by agroot » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:00 pm

https://www.hsl.fi/en/tickets-and-fares/travel-card ?

Yes it does list double price. :shock: But why? Can't you load it a month later with normal price after you buy card?

What about the HSL app? Surely you don't need to get the permit before installing app and loading?