Oulu people

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Mizu1993

Oulu people

Post by Mizu1993 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:23 pm

This is something that concerns mostly my boyfriend and I have heard many stories from him. He lived 20 years there, also through his childhood. He says that people there are not normal, they are rude. When he sends messages to some people he knew from school, they reply with, that he doesn't need this phone number and shouldn't contact anymore. When he talks with his friends or some stranger about Oulu, they say the same, or at least he told me so. Also with his friends back then in Oulu, there were only problems the whole time. He moved away from Oulu 6 years ago and it still stucks to him, what has happened to him in the past and basically he talks about it every day. Can this really be? It is hard to believe that Oulu people are rude...nearly all of them. It could be that he pisses those people off, but he said, he wouldn't know how. Does someone has experience with this?

Oulu people

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

hiworld

Re: Oulu people

Post by hiworld » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:33 pm

My hubby is from oulu, I visit his parents in oulu so often but I feel totally different from what you have described. My parents in law are very very nice not because I am their daughter in law but the way they behave toward other people. Also, their neighbor always say hi to me which not all finnish neighbor would do. I meet many other people work in TE, Police, School, Bank etc in Oulu area, they all were very nice, helpful and lots of smile compare to people in Helsinki.

joy1234

Post by joy1234 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:51 pm

I'm a foreigner who has been living in Oulu for 10+ years. My whole experience is very positive. People are really nice and helpful. There are some people who are not much fancy of talking, but they never behaved rude to me.

harakka

Post by harakka » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:10 pm

It sounds like the problem could be the negative experience he has had with his school friends.

I'll admit that I've ran across the same Oulu = rude stereotyping on Finnish forums as well, but I'm a Finn from Oulu and I haven't experienced it.

Regional stereotypes in Finland do exist, but I'm not aware of any characteristics that are considered unique to the people from Oulu. However, the Finnish stereotype (shy, quiet, introverted etc.) probably applies to people from Oulu as much as to other Finns.