Customs is garbage.

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
undertakerfreak

Customs is garbage.

Post by undertakerfreak » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:42 am

Ordered a part for my camera tripod from a US shop last month. Sat in customs for a week before we got the letter saying we had to pay the tax. A week. In this digital age, snail mail, guys? Really? So, we pay the tax, wait two more days, go back to tracking, and huzzah – the item is ready for pickup at the post office!

...It doesn't even @#$% tell us which post office the item is at, and it says customs informed me. No they didn't. Didn't get a text, a letter, a phone call, nothing. And of course, closed on weekends, so now I have to wait two more days to have the honor of waiting on hold for three hours to find out nothing useful.

Earlier today, I called them about a hockey jersey that tracking says is being held awaiting information from me. Just wanted to know what they need from me so I can get my damn shirt. Spent 30 minutes on hold and gave up.

No wonder my wife warned me about buying anything from outside the EU.

Customs is garbage.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Oombongo

Re: Customs is garbage.

Post by Oombongo » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:02 am

Christmas week was it?

And if you have netposti account then you should be able to get the electronic copy of upcoming post notifications.
Image Image

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:57 am

You don’t have to call. You can email them. Always had a good experience. But yeah I try not to buy from outside of the EU.

riku2

Post by riku2 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:26 am

things are only going to get worse because currently items from outside the EU under 22euro arrive tax free, but that exemption will disappear in a few years and then the limit will become zero and there will be about ten times as many packages that need the tax collected.

vla

Post by vla » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:36 pm

tkt234 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:20 pm
undertakerfreak wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:42 am
Ordered a part for my camera tripod from a US shop last month. Sat in customs for a week before we got the letter saying we had to pay the tax. A week. In this digital age, snail mail, guys? Really? So, we pay the tax, wait two more days, go back to tracking, and huzzah – the item is ready for pickup at the post office!

...It doesn't even @#$% tell us which post office the item is at, and it says customs informed me. No they didn't. Didn't get a text, a letter, a phone call, nothing. And of course, closed on weekends, so now I have to wait two more days to have the honor of waiting on hold for three hours to find out nothing useful.

Earlier today, I called them about a hockey jersey that tracking says is being held awaiting information from me. Just wanted to know what they need from me so I can get my damn shirt. Spent 30 minutes on hold and gave up.

I had same problem also in Estonia with customs, but then I stopped buying these things from USA and bought from UK only, now no problems with customs.
At least for now, remember UK will not be part of the EU soon.

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:09 pm

undertakerfreak wrote:
Surely you understand that it's Posti that handles the letters (and packages), not Tulli? A few days here or there is nothing out of the ordinary.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:26 am

undertakerfreak wrote:
Nothing to worry about. Just factor the extra time and money the customs take.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.