Brexit 29 March 2019 what will happen to us Brits?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
DMC

Re: Brexit 29 March 2019 what will happen to us Brits?

Post by DMC » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:55 pm

peroxisome wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:14 pm
Brexit: UK drivers living in the EU urged to get new licence
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-46865094
So the UK govt has caught up with Finland Forum!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Oombongo

Post by Oombongo » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:28 pm

After 29th March, there will be meeting of Elders in a secret underground lair. Those wise Elders will decide the fate of ostentatious Brits. The Brits will be reminded of the crimes of their forefathers, and how they plundered the wealth from poor nations for generations upon generations. Afterwords, those Brits will be brought for tickle torture followed by gavaging of Rössypottu.
Image Image

llewellyn

Post by llewellyn » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:41 pm

Does sound bit alarming and alarmingly vague:

https://intermin.fi/en/article/-/asset_ ... -turvataan

If that means dealing with Migri, then just good luck with that bureacratic nightmare...

DMC

Post by DMC » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:10 am

A couple of days ago the migri pages published this:
https://migri.fi/en/article/-/asset_pub ... virastossa

In summary they recommend you:
  • Register your right of residence in Finland
  • Apply for a certificate of the right of permanent residence of an EU citizen at the Finnish Immigration Service

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:23 am

llewellyn wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:41 pm
Does sound bit alarming and alarmingly vague:

https://intermin.fi/en/article/-/asset_ ... -turvataan

If that means dealing with Migri, then just good luck with that bureacratic nightmare...
What else would you expect?

bm50
AKA cockney

Post by bm50 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:28 pm

And for us Brits who have permanent residence already what will happen? I have a permanent residence card issued in 2005 with no expiry date :?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:17 pm

bm50 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:28 pm
And for us Brits who have permanent residence already what will happen? I have a permanent residence card issued in 2005 with no expiry date :?
The condition for the right of residence is EU citizenship. However, deportation is a separate process and I have a hard time seeing Migri starting that or the courts accepting it. Most likely the Finnish parliament would legislate automatic transfer to permanent residence status of third country nationals to make the situation explicit.

DMC

Post by DMC » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:21 pm

bm50 wrote:
And for us Brits who have permanent residence already what will happen?
I don't know, but I am in the same position except that my permit is older. I sent an email to migri today to ask about that, as I don't actually have any documentation of the permit. All I ever had was something in my passport but of course I have renewed my passport many times since then. I can let you know when I get a response but I suggest you also write and ask, just in case there are hoops to jump through.

Today I took my old paper (not photocard) UK driving licence to exchange it for a Finnish licence. There were some issues. One was that the UK licence covers vehicle categories that a normal Finnish licence does not. That took a while to sort out and my new licence is only valid for 5 years. I was ready for all that, having been pre-warned by riku2. Another issue is that my licence covers some vehicle categories that don't seem to map onto Finnish categories. I couldn't resolve those queries today and they are not really important to me so I will tackle those later. Finally my UK licence serves as a provisional licence for some other vehicle categories and that concept seemed to be impossible for the Finnish system to cope with. As I have no intention of learning to drive things like a road roller I ignored those for the time being. End result: I was issued with a temporary licence and should receive a new licence by post in 2 to 3 weeks.

DMC

Post by DMC » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:23 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:17 pm
The condition for the right of residence is EU citizenship.
For some people, but not all. My permanent residence permit was issued before Finland joined the EU so my right of residence is nothing to do with the EU.

peroxisome

Post by peroxisome » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:36 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
bm50 wrote:
Well, I am not a lawyer, so I may be talking rubbish. But there is a process for awarding permanent residence, and that is different for EU and non-EU nationals. But what both lead to is a right of permanent residence. So I am not sure that the right of permanent residence remains permanently dependent on the application process criteria being fulfilled at all points in the future.

yours
david

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:02 pm

DMC wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:23 pm
betelgeuse wrote:
For some people, but not all. My permanent residence permit was issued before Finland joined the EU so my right of residence is nothing to do with the EU.
Do not confuse right of residence (EU free movement) and residence permits (everything else). In your situation either legal basis applies.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:04 pm

peroxisome wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:36 pm
betelgeuse wrote:
bm50 wrote:
Well, I am not a lawyer, so I may be talking rubbish. But there is a process for awarding permanent residence, and that is different for EU and non-EU nationals. But what both lead to is a right of permanent residence. So I am not sure that the right of permanent residence remains permanently dependent on the application process criteria being fulfilled at all points in the future.
There are separate permanent residence sections in the Aliens Act for EU free movement and residence permits. It follows that they do not lead to the same thing.

DMC

Post by DMC » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:55 pm

I got a reply from Migri today. Getting a response on a Sunday evening after writing to them on Thursday is quite remarkable service I think. The text of the reply was:
Unfortunately the effects of Brexit are still unclear. We will publish more information about the situation as soon as more information and further instructions are available.

You have been granted a permanent residence permit as you told before Finland joined EU. You should either renew your permanent residence card https://migri.fi/en/renewal-of-a-residence-permit-card or consider applying a right of residence as EU citizen.

Since you have been living in Finland more than 5-years you could still apply for a right of permanent residence for EU-citizen, https://migri.fi/en/right-of-permanent-residence this could be beneficial in future but there is also a change that you would have to apply for a residence permit if the Brexit happens.

As British citizen, you can also apply for Finnish citizenship if you meet the requirements for citizenship.

I apologies for the inconveniences this might cause, please keep calm and wait better instructions. I would recommend follow what information is given from our or other official web-pages.
I do wonder if the phrase "there is also a change" is a typo that should read "there is also a chance" as that would seem to make more sense, but either way the meaning of that is not clear to me.

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:22 am

If you had permanent residence before Finland was in EU, you shall probably still register as EU citizen. This applied when my country join EU and I was already permanent resident in Finland, I still have to register as EU citizen living in Finland.

bm50
AKA cockney

Post by bm50 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:47 pm

I also received a reply from Migri and as my permanent residence card was issued in 2005 it seems that i'm already registered in the EU.
But it seems also that it is possible we will have to apply for a residence permit as a Third-Country National. :(