Two questions (driving licence and id card)

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Post Reply
Mattbonner090
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:28 pm

Two questions (driving licence and id card)

Post by Mattbonner090 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:40 pm

So I have been living in Finland for two months.

I have a Finnish partner who I live with, a private rented accommodation and a full time job.

I am registered as living in Finland and have a permanent registered adress, and made my intent known that I will be living here permently (the words permanent address is also on my migri/personal number sheet)

Obviously I plan to stay here post brexit, and I want to change my uk licence to a fin one. It states on the website you need to be a permanent resident but it isnt exactly clear how long or what they count as a "perment resident, could anyone clarify?"

I haven't got the id card yet as I haven't felt the need for one (as im registered etc) do I actually need to get the id card or can I carry on without it (as ive registered my residentship with migri etc and have a finnish ID



Two questions (driving licence and id card)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic
 

deepsudeep
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:11 pm

Re: Two questions (driving licence and id card)

Post by deepsudeep » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:34 am

Mattbonner090 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:40 pm
So I have been living in Finland for two months.

I have a Finnish partner who I live with, a private rented accommodation and a full time job.

I am registered as living in Finland and have a permanent registered adress, and made my intent known that I will be living here permently (the words permanent address is also on my migri/personal number sheet)

Obviously I plan to stay here post brexit, and I want to change my uk licence to a fin one. It states on the website you need to be a permanent resident but it isnt exactly clear how long or what they count as a "perment resident, could anyone clarify?"

I haven't got the id card yet as I haven't felt the need for one (as im registered etc) do I actually need to get the id card or can I carry on without it (as ive registered my residentship with migri etc and have a finnish ID
If you are staying here long you can easily get your UK license replaced to a finnish one. I have residence permit for 1.5 years and they gave me a temporary driving license immediately till I get an actual one.

I am confused about your id card and finnish id statement. Police id card is the only finnish id I know of which is accepted universally. (not drivers license)


Beequeenn
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:18 pm

Re: Two questions (driving licence and id card)

Post by Beequeenn » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:34 am

Mattbonner090 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:40 pm
So I have been living in Finland for two months.

I have a Finnish partner who I live with, a private rented accommodation and a full time job.

I am registered as living in Finland and have a permanent registered adress, and made my intent known that I will be living here permently (the words permanent address is also on my migri/personal number sheet)

Obviously I plan to stay here post brexit, and I want to change my uk licence to a fin one. It states on the website you need to be a permanent resident but it isnt exactly clear how long or what they count as a "perment resident, could anyone clarify?"

I haven't got the id card yet as I haven't felt the need for one (as im registered etc) do I actually need to get the id card or can I carry on without it (as ive registered my residentship with migri etc and have a finnish ID
Once you registered at migri, you are a permanent resident. Being a permanent resident and having a permanent residence permit are 2 different things in case you are wondering.

ID card is need, if you dont usually/dont prefer to carry your passport all the time. But I always recommend my friends to get a Finnish ID card. Finnish ID card’s validity is based on the residence permit so if you have a 4 years RP then go ahead and get one, it’s easier than carrying a passport, unless you have some other kinds of identity proof, eg. ID card from your home country, driving license (not the Finnish RP card tho), then you dont need one.


vla
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:23 am

Re: Two questions (driving licence and id card)

Post by vla » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:31 pm

Beequeenn wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:34 am
Mattbonner090 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:40 pm
So I have been living in Finland for two months.

I have a Finnish partner who I live with, a private rented accommodation and a full time job.

I am registered as living in Finland and have a permanent registered adress, and made my intent known that I will be living here permently (the words permanent address is also on my migri/personal number sheet)

Obviously I plan to stay here post brexit, and I want to change my uk licence to a fin one. It states on the website you need to be a permanent resident but it isnt exactly clear how long or what they count as a "perment resident, could anyone clarify?"

I haven't got the id card yet as I haven't felt the need for one (as im registered etc) do I actually need to get the id card or can I carry on without it (as ive registered my residentship with migri etc and have a finnish ID
Once you registered at migri, you are a permanent resident. Being a permanent resident and having a permanent residence permit are 2 different things in case you are wondering.

ID card is need, if you dont usually/dont prefer to carry your passport all the time. But I always recommend my friends to get a Finnish ID card. Finnish ID card’s validity is based on the residence permit so if you have a 4 years RP then go ahead and get one, it’s easier than carrying a passport, unless you have some other kinds of identity proof, eg. ID card from your home country, driving license (not the Finnish RP card tho), then you dont need one.
Finnish ID card is also needed to use online identification. You need to show it to your bank so they activate online identification (not confuse with online banking).


Beequeenn
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:18 pm

Re: Two questions (driving licence and id card)

Post by Beequeenn » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:28 am

vla wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:31 pm

Finnish ID card is also needed to use online identification. You need to show it to your bank so they activate online identification (not confuse with online banking).
I got online identification 2 weeks after opening bank account at Nordea without any ID card so I forgot about that. It was in 2014 but I heard nowadays banks require ID card for online identification so yeah I think it’s good idea to obtain a Finnish ID card.


vla
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:23 am

Re: Two questions (driving licence and id card)

Post by vla » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:30 am

Beequeenn wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:28 am
vla wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:31 pm

Finnish ID card is also needed to use online identification. You need to show it to your bank so they activate online identification (not confuse with online banking).
I got online identification 2 weeks after opening bank account at Nordea without any ID card so I forgot about that. It was in 2014 but I heard nowadays banks require ID card for online identification so yeah I think it’s good idea to obtain a Finnish ID card.
Yes, I talk from my experience, I opened the account at the end of december and they said the law has change about this so I will need the ID card. Once I had it (I had to apply with the police) I showed it in the bank and they activate it.


Iftikharshah
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:42 pm

Re: Two questions (driving licence and id card)

Post by Iftikharshah » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:06 am

Hello!I have two questions.my first residents permit waiting for process.its almost four months now.i wanna open bank account.can it's possible? second question is can it's possible I get Finnish I'd card I have Finnish identity code.third question is first resident permit give for one years or four year's.thank please reply.


heretostay
Posts: 203
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:54 pm

Re: Two questions (driving licence and id card)

Post by heretostay » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:03 am

Iftikharshah wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:06 am
Hello!I have two questions.my first residents permit waiting for process.its almost four months now.i wanna open bank account.can it's possible? second question is can it's possible I get Finnish I'd card I have Finnish identity code.third question is first resident permit give for one years or four year's.thank please reply.
You probably will not be able to open a bank account.

You have to wait for the residence permit to get the identity code and you no ID card without residence permit.

First residence permit is almost always for one year. And by almost I mean 99% if the time it is one year max.


Post Reply