Traveler's cheque or alternatives?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
agroot

Post by agroot » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:08 pm

Is that thing still accepted in banks or AMEX's locator website is not malfunctioning and the Bank of Aland is really the only one who can cash it now?

I'll need to carry my initial bank deposit here, mainly for rental security. It's well below the cash limit across customs but losing money is terrible as cash is not insured and traveler's cheque seems like a logical choice (someone here also mentioned using it for the exact same purpose, except it's 10 years ago).

What are other options, if it's no longer viable? I cannot wire money from my backward country without being there physically.

1. open the account in Bank of Aland? they have no English service and I'd have to ask if they accept 500e notes (heard US banks reject that!)
2. ATM card does have international withdraw function that can be enabled but that's quite dangerous yes? cannot be restricted on a by country basis.
3. Western Union Bank has one last, tiny nobody-ever-heard-of partner in my country. charge is like 5% and I take that they don't have services in the banks so I'd still need to carry cash from their sites ("The Change Group") to bank?

I also heard of VISA's and Mastercard's traveler's cheque, but what happened? seems to have disappeared overnight.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

inkku

Re: Traveler's cheque or alternatives?

Post by inkku » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:20 pm

have you checked worldremit or wave ?

agroot

Post by agroot » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:10 pm

inkku wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:20 pm
have you checked worldremit or wave ?
Yes. Worldremit doesn't allow my country to any of EU, and Xendpay doesn't allow my country to send (but receive is fine!), the rest of them nope. But I'm 100% certain SWIFT anywhere works - just need my physical presence :( .

Does anyone have recent experience with traveler's cheque? Oddly though Danske still lists the price of cashing but AMEX's locator doesn't show it.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:48 am

agroot wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:10 pm
Oddly though Danske still lists the price of cashing but AMEX's locator doesn't show it.
Have you tried their customer service? Or any other Finnish bank's?
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

agroot

Post by agroot » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:55 pm

They told me to visit the Finnish contact page which only accepts investment and some other type of questions.

I give up. will use ATM.

Interesting though, I might be able use my international securities brokerage account to transfer cash. Home come international wiring is in such a sorry state except within EU?