Cancellation of residence permit

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
Mitch19

Post by Mitch19 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:38 pm

Hello guys,

Has anyone ever received a letter from Migri on possible cancellation on Residence permit?

I just got a letter last week on that. I have been a student here in Finland since 2016,I was to graduate in July 2019 but I was able to graduate from earlier, December 2018.

While studying I was working at the same time. Last year in April, I lost my job and being a member of Pam, our steward asked me to go and register with the TE office then apply for unemployment benefit because I have been working for over 2 years.

Pam said since am a full time student, I need to apply from Kela because am eligible. I did exactly that and Kela paid me social assistance from July to September when I got a new job. Now, Migri wrote me a letter saying they might cancel my residence permit because I applied for social assistance.

So i responded and explained to them what happened.

I also graduated earlier, and also submitted an application for a work residence permit.

Should I be worried about the letter from Migri?

Please advice, am very disturbed.

Mitch

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Cancellation of residence permit

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:40 pm

Mitch19 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:38 pm
I have been a student here in Finland since 2016,I was to graduate in July 2019 but I was able to graduate from earlier, December 2018.

While studying I was working at the same time. Last year in April, I lost my job and being a member of Pam, our steward asked me to go and register with the TE office then apply for unemployment benefit because I have been working for over 2 years.

Pam said since am a full time student, I need to apply from Kela because am eligible. I did exactly that and Kela paid me social assistance from July to September when I got a new job. Now, Migri wrote me a letter saying they might cancel my residence permit because I applied for social assistance.

I also graduated earlier, and also submitted an application for a work residence permit.

If you have a new job so that you don't have to rely on social security any more, there are no grounds to cancel the permit. Temporary reliance on social assistance is ok. It's Migri's job to investigate the situation to determine what the status is.

Mitch19

Post by Mitch19 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:45 pm

Thanks for the response.

Well inform you on the outcome.

Question - Should I call Migri and ask whether the decision has yet to be made or not because am somewhat in a Panic state😓😥

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:18 pm

Mitch19 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:45 pm
Question - Should I call Migri and ask whether the decision has yet to be made or not because am somewhat in a Panic state😓😥
The delay from making the decision and informing you is rather short, so calling is a waste of time.

Mitch19

Post by Mitch19 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:54 pm

Okay.

Thanks.Let me wait patiently;-)

suomenkansa10

Post by suomenkansa10 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:30 pm

Mitch19 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:38 pm
Hello guys,

Has anyone ever received a letter from Migri on possible cancellation on Residence permit?

I just got a letter last week on that. I have been a student here in Finland since 2016,I was to graduate in July 2019 but I was able to graduate from earlier, December 2018.

Please advice, am very disturbed.

Mitch

How did you get unemployment benefit on ‘B permit’ in the first place? 🧐

Mitch19

Post by Mitch19 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:53 pm

Based on the fact that I had been working for the entire time I was in Finland,on part time basis yes - But I worked quite alot,hence the qualification.

suomenkansa10

Post by suomenkansa10 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:52 pm

Mitch19 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:53 pm
Based on the fact that I had been working for the entire time I was in Finland,on part time basis yes - But I worked quite alot,hence the qualification.
That’s strange because if someone goes to T.E office on B student permit to ask for benefits, they outright reject.

suomenkansa10

Post by suomenkansa10 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:55 pm

Mitch19 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:53 pm
Because unemployment benefits are given to ‘job seekers’ and you can’t register yourself as job seeker with T.E office unless you have graduated (if you have B student permit). How did you convince T.E office to register you as a job seeker without a Finnish degree? 🧐

Mitch19

Post by Mitch19 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:01 pm

It seems you are keen on witch-hunting rather than helping to give solutions.

I will leave you at that.

suomenkansa10

Post by suomenkansa10 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:17 pm

Mitch19 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:01 pm
It seems you are keen on witch-hunting rather than helping to give solutions.

I will leave you at that.
Man !!! Don’t be offended ! The possible solution lies in your answer :) See if T.E office usually doesn’t let you in as a job seeker on student permit (and they did in your case), you can of course put that as an arguement in your defence that T.E office made me entitled to it. Since T.E made the decision and kela granted you money officially, there shouldn’t be anything as suspicious on your part. The only question again is that how T.E office registered you as a job seeker (on B permit) in the first place! :)