Secure disposal of HDD

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
network_engineer

Secure disposal of HDD

Post by network_engineer » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:28 pm

Hi all,

Any idea where one can securely dispose of old HDD? I have one that is broken, and yes, since it was part of a backup's backup, I have all the data, but now need to dispose the disk, preferably somewhere where I could verify the destruction of the device!

Kind regards.

Secure disposal of HDD

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Piet

Re: Secure disposal of HDD

Post by Piet » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:16 pm

Is the drive broken beyond use? in other words, is it accessible with a computer and having bad spots or is it truly dead?

If it still spins and has some function, I can wipe it for you with military grade software 8) (you can watch yes but it takes about 18 hours for a 1TB drive so bring a sleeping bag and some food :lol: :lol: ).

Otherwise just take a real big hammer and hit it till it is undistinguishable from a beer can (fun to do) and then dump it in small metal container at the supermarket recycle point. :lol:
If god would give us the source code, we could change the world

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:39 pm

I'm not aware of an entity in Finland that would provide such service for individuals. At my previous firm, the IT provider had such service for some laptops as that was required if HDD/SSD was involved in some government entities' projects, but I'm not aware of them giving such service to individuals.

Since it's broken, your next best bet would be to open up the HDD, take the disk(s) out, wrap them in a piece of cloth, put all of that in big plastic bag, and smash it with something heavy. After you're done, put the smashed disks along with rest of the drive and take it to any place that sells computers or computer parts. Say you'd like to have it recycled.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

Piet

Post by Piet » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:13 pm

Beep_Boop wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:39 pm
I'm not aware of an entity in Finland that would provide such service for individuals. At my previous firm, the IT provider had such service for some laptops as that was required if HDD/SSD was involved in some government entities' projects, but I'm not aware of them giving such service to individuals.
As I have worked at an embassy of a certain country, I needed to dispose of HDD's of old laptops from the embassy, as you can imagine this needed to be done securely, In general this disk would be wiped first (as I explained before with military grade wiping software) and then later crushed with a 10Kg big hammer beyond recognition it used to be a drive (which was the fun part :lol: ). For sure that was enough according to the relevant ministry of foreign affairs supervising the destruction.

Beep_Boop wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:39 pm
Since it's broken, your next best bet would be to open up the HDD, take the disk(s) out, wrap them in a piece of cloth, put all of that in big plastic bag, and smash it with something heavy. After you're done, put the smashed disks along with rest of the drive and take it to any place that sells computers or computer parts. Say you'd like to have it recycled.
That will work too but to much work taking it apart and for the destruction not really needed, Take a few big fat nails and jam those with the hammer trough the drive before you hit it till kingdom come if you want to be sure they are beyond retrieval :lol: :lol:

Or the easy way is to throw it in the hot burning fireplace and make sure it has been glowing red hot all the way (that kills any magnetic information for sure). You might want to remove the circuit board first (toxic vapours maybe :oops: ..)

I have some other solutions but they require access to certain prohibited volatile substances that make a lot of noise when used... better forget about those :lol: :lol:
easy way: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermite
the forbidden (fun) way: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic_explosive
If god would give us the source code, we could change the world

irnbru

Post by irnbru » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:24 pm

Just drill holes in it. There can't be anything that sensitive on it unless you work for Government in which case they'll have a process for it. Or you're a sicko in which case I hope you get locked up.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:35 am

network_engineer wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:28 pm
Hi all,

Any idea where one can securely dispose of old HDD? I have one that is broken, and yes, since it was part of a backup's backup, I have all the data, but now need to dispose the disk, preferably somewhere where I could verify the destruction of the device!

Kind regards.
Any post office or smart post: seiffi.fi

edit. while I too would use the hammer method, this one gives you paper to show, if anyone cares...
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

network_engineer

Post by network_engineer » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:27 pm

Upphew wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:35 am
Any post office or smart post: seiffi.fi
edit. while I too would use the hammer method, this one gives you paper to show, if anyone cares...
:thumbsup: Bingo! Thanks a lot! :D

Piet wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:13 pm
they require access to certain prohibited volatile substances that make a lot of noise when used... better forget about those :lol: :lol:
Thank goodness, I am blessed with reasonably good common sense. :D
Piet wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:16 pm
Is the drive broken beyond use? in other words, is it accessible with a computer and having bad spots or is it truly dead?
Dead. Dead. Dead. I've used a number of disk erasure software in the past (Blancco, KillDisk, dban, & DiskWife etc, sorry, meant DiskWipe) but since the circuit is off... I could, of course, take the pains to remove the disk, mount it elsewhere, to determine if the disk still spins but this is such an old one, been lying around for 6+ years, I'm just cleaning out the room! But aah, not worth the effort honestly! But being a tech-security guy since ever, I just want to make sure! Bag? Food? Sleepover? Ah, it's ok!

Which brings me to the next point.
irnbru wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:24 pm
a sicko in which case I hope you get locked up.
As I said, I've been a tech-security guy, with experiences in risk management, does that answer your worries? :twisted: But yes, I had this habit of scanning every single receipt and paper bills, and old statements, so, who knows what's in there. :D