Getting married on tourist visa

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Cheetah

Post by Cheetah » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:19 am

Hi all

Long term goal is to move to Finland but for now, if anyone can help with answers, would be much appreciated!

What is required when a couple on holiday from New Zealand would like to get married whilst in Finland?
Would there be any problem with this?
If there is stuff to arrange, must it be done before arriving there and would there be a waiting period in Finland once we have applied? If so, how long should we expect to wait?
Where does one apply?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide answers! :D

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

tavastia

Re: Getting married on tourist visa

Post by tavastia » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:02 am

You can get married no problem, there are other threads about this. Is one of you Finnish citizen? or EU citizen? Otherwise you cannot apply and wait in Finland for RP.

Cheetah

Post by Cheetah » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:46 pm

Hi
Thanks for your reply. I did see the other thread but as they were all Finnish (or EU citizens) the answers were not quite relevant to me. So from your reply it seems that if we are from New Zealand (not Finnish or EU) then it will not be possible? What did you mean by "wait in FInland for RP"? If we "can not apply" then I don't quite understand that last part. Thanks again!

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:43 pm

You can marry, even you are just as tourist in Finland: https://www.maistraatti.fi/en/News/Marriage/

But you will need to have one of the following reasons to apply for a residence permit in Finland:
* study
* work
* family member (of FIN or EU)

If you meet one of the above you need to apply abroad at Finnish Embassy close to you. You will have to get the permit before coming into Finland. Depends on the permit type waiting time are different can be found into Migri website.