Right to permanent residence EU VS Citizenship

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Neurona

Post by Neurona » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:52 pm

What are the advantages for getting Finnish citizenship for someone who is EU citizen and also has permanent right of residence in Finland? Any differences when moving out of the country and coming back?
I read on migri pages that after living in Finland for more than 5 years we get a permanent right of residence and a certificate is no necessary to prove it. Do also the children get it? Does that right expire some years later or is valid forever (or until the law changes)?

I need to leave the country and not really sure if I shall cancel my citizenship application. I can't wait any longer here right now :cry:

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Right to permanent residence EU VS Citizenship

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:50 am

Neurona wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:52 pm
What are the advantages for getting Finnish citizenship for someone who is EU citizen and also has permanent right of residence in Finland? Any differences when moving out of the country and coming back?
Right of permanent residence gets cancelled if you permanently move out. Then there are also things like the right to vote.
Neurona wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:52 pm
I need to leave the country and not really sure if I shall cancel my citizenship application. I can't wait any longer here right now :cry:
A requirement for citizenship is residence at the time of the decision.

Neurona

Post by Neurona » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:29 pm

My residence is in the country, if that means where is my home, which I own. But I just need to travel and be out of the country for some time. What happen if they make a decision while I am traveling? Could not find that info from migri.
And are you sure that right of permanent residence is canceled if I have lived in the country for more than five years?

adella

Post by adella » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:33 pm

If you'll only be overseas temporarily on holiday or for a work trip, just contact Migri and let them know the dates you'll be abroad. Otherwise you run the risk of receiving a negative decision if you aren't in the country on the date they make the decision.

A friend of mine recently received her Finnish citizenship and simple notified Migri for the period she was going to be abroad and they ensure that they put her application on hold for that period and only made and delivered the decision once she was back in Finland.

Regarding the cancellation of EU permanent residence:

"Changes in the grounds for a residence permit

Your residence permit may be cancelled if the grounds on which it was granted no longer exist. This may for example happen if your residence permit was granted for working in Finland but your employment relationship has ended.

Your EU residence permit will be cancelled if you have lived outside the European Union for a continuous period of two years, or outside Finland for a continuous period of six years."

For more info see: https://migri.fi/en/cancellation-of-a-permit

Beequeenn

Post by Beequeenn » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:24 pm

Neurona wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:29 pm
But I just need to travel and be out of the country for some time. What happen if they make a decision while I am traveling? Could not find that info from migri.
You are freely to travel but you will have to inform migri when you are out of the country and your citizenship application will be put on hold until you come back to Finland.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:54 pm

Neurona wrote:
My residence is in the country, if that means where is my home, which I own. But I just need to travel and be out of the country for some time. What happen if they make a decision while I am traveling? Could not find that info from migri.
https://migri.fi/en/how-to-calculate-th ... -residence
Neurona wrote:
And are you sure that right of permanent residence is canceled if I have lived in the country for more than five years?
Section 165 of the Aliens Act includes
(2) The right of permanent residence or a permanent residence card is cancelled, if an EU citizen or his or her family member has continuously resided outside Finland for over two years.
https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/kaannokse ... 040301.pdf

Neurona

Post by Neurona » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:27 pm

Thank you for the links and the information.
I can't still find information about the need to be in Finland when they make a decision. It makes sense because the RP get canceled at the same moment and if someone is abroad how can he come back? But in the case of EU citizens traveling in Europe, why is that needed?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:53 pm

Neurona wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:27 pm
It makes sense because the RP get canceled at the same moment and if someone is abroad how can he come back? But in the case of EU citizens traveling in Europe, why is that needed?
As a Finnish citizen he can get a passport from the nearest mission taking passport applications. EU citizens travelling in Europe still need to have travel documents with them.

Neurona

Post by Neurona » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:25 pm

Of course EU citizens need travel documents but as EU citizens they have another valid passport to travel within Europe.
And I still haven't found any place where is stated that someone needs to be in Finland physically at the time that Migri makes a decision (of course is understandable that the domicile is in Finland)

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:42 am

Neurona wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:25 pm
And I still haven't found any place where is stated that someone needs to be in Finland physically at the time that Migri makes a decision (of course is understandable that the domicile is in Finland)
There is no requirement to be physically in Finland.

Beequeenn

Post by Beequeenn » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:33 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:42 am
Neurona wrote:
Why dont you just call/email migri and ask? It’s the best way to confirm your consideration. They always reply my email in couple of days.

Beequeenn

Post by Beequeenn » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:34 pm

Neurona wrote:
Why dont you just call/email migri to ask? It’s the best way to confirm your consideration. They always reply my email in couple of days in case you wanna say they will not answer.