Residence permit for work starting on March

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
smaanan

Post by smaanan » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:23 pm

Hi all,

I have obtained a job contract as a researcher at the University of Aalto. According to the contract I should start my job on the 1st of March 2019. I have applied for a residence permit on 24/01/2019 and went to the embassy to finalise my application on 31/01/2019. I heard that the application for residence permit based on work takes in average 6 weeks. But knowing that I will need to start my new job on 01/03/2019, I might need to get the residence permit before that, i.e. within this month. Did anybody have a similar experience? Is there a way I can make the processing time faster (contacting migri,...)? Thank you in advance.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

vla

Re: Residence permit for work starting on March

Post by vla » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:09 pm

smaanan wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:23 pm
Hi all,

I have obtained a job contract as a researcher at the University of Aalto. According to the contract I should start my job on the 1st of March 2019. I have applied for a residence permit on 24/01/2019 and went to the embassy to finalise my application on 31/01/2019. I heard that the application for residence permit based on work takes in average 6 weeks. But knowing that I will need to start my new job on 01/03/2019, I might need to get the residence permit before that, i.e. within this month. Did anybody have a similar experience? Is there a way I can make the processing time faster (contacting migri,...)? Thank you in advance.
Imagine how many people call Migri saying that they need the permit faster... Like it stated on their website, calling them doesn't make the process faster. It is possible that you get the decision by the first couple of days of march or before that. I am assuming that you applied for a working permit for a researcher and did the application online.

You should talk with your employer, they should be more flexible with this. In my company they have just hired someone from India and they set the start date as 15.05., and in my case they said a date but told me if there is any delays with the permit we could agree a new date. So you should talk to them, not to Migri. I believe (I am not sure about this) that the employers can request a faster processing, but that it's something they have to do. So again, talk to your employer.

smaanan

Post by smaanan » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:57 pm

Thank you for the answer. I was just wondering if they take the starting date in the contract while processing the visa application. Normally they should, but I don't know.

agroot

Post by agroot » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:14 pm

My employer just said the date is flexible and is merely an estimation, not final.

It's not like you can tell government to act faster, they don't take bribes here :P

besides there is no telling whether they might have problem processing and need further document from you.

smaanan

Post by smaanan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:47 am

agroot wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:14 pm
My employer just said the date is flexible and is merely an estimation, not final.

It's not like you can tell government to act faster, they don't take bribes here :P

besides there is no telling whether they might have problem processing and need further document from you.
I didn't say anything about bribes, I just wanted to know whether they take the starting date into consideration, but thanks anyway.

agroot

Post by agroot » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:06 pm

smaanan wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:47 am
I didn't say anything about bribes, I just wanted to know whether they take the starting date into consideration, but thanks anyway.
LOL just jk!

From my impression from my employer and the agency they sent for help me, I doubt migri even cares. Why would they? You're talking like you should already have been approved and just waiting for issuance of permit, but the job contract is merely a prerequisite and approval is not guaranteed (I'm still worrying!)

smaanan

Post by smaanan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:45 pm

agroot wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:06 pm
smaanan wrote:
LOL just jk!

From my impression from my employer and the agency they sent for help me, I doubt migri even cares. Why would they? You're talking like you should already have been approved and just waiting for issuance of permit, but the job contract is merely a prerequisite and approval is not guaranteed (I'm still worrying!)
Thanks for the reply. Interesting. What would make them reject an application in this case? I mean, all my documents are original, the research institute where I will start my position is one of the best research institutes in Finland, if not the best at all, the Professor who offered me the position is a reference in the field, both in Finland and overseas. I believe my application is quite sound, and I don't see any reason why they would reject it.

agroot

Post by agroot » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:12 am

I don't know. But on migri there are:

4 Decision and notification of the decision
5 Appealing a decision

Looks scary,

and the agent told me I really can't book a rental place in advance without being here first and getting ID (I lost an ideal one! :evil: )

vla

Post by vla » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:04 am

smaanan wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:45 pm
agroot wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:06 pm
smaanan wrote:
LOL just jk!

Thanks for the reply. Interesting. What would make them reject an application in this case? I mean, all my documents are original, the research institute where I will start my position is one of the best research institutes in Finland, if not the best at all, the Professor who offered me the position is a reference in the field, both in Finland and overseas. I believe my application is quite sound, and I don't see any reason why they would reject it.
They shouldn't. Don't trust people who are just guessing.

vla

Post by vla » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:06 am

agroot wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:12 am
I don't know. But on migri there are:

4 Decision and notification of the decision
5 Appealing a decision

Looks scary,

and the agent told me I really can't book a rental place in advance without being here first and getting ID (I lost an ideal one! :evil: )
You need ID number so they can check your background, and also for signing the contract. Don't rent an apartment without seeing it!

samuelsteel

Post by samuelsteel » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:19 pm

Is there any update for your residence permit? Actually I have a similar situation to you. My university stated that “anticipated date for your beginning is April 1st but this date is flexible for the residence permit application process” I completed my application for RP on February 18.

agroot

Post by agroot » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:00 pm

OP any update from yours?

Mine is still in the queue over 1/3 of their estimated processing time.

No point sending request I think. Just wondering if they've been unusually busy recently, because they just sent me a letter telling me it's still waiting :P

samuelsteel

Post by samuelsteel » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:20 pm

agroot wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:00 pm
OP any update from yours?

Mine is still in the queue over 1/3 of their estimated processing time.

No point sending request I think. Just wondering if they've been unusually busy recently, because they just sent me a letter telling me it's still waiting :P
15 days passed since my application, there is no any update. I was wondering if this situation is just for me, I think there is “busy” time for researchers residence permit. I read some posts here, many researchers received positive results within 10-15 days. Hope to get RP soon!

agroot

Post by agroot » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:49 pm

Mine is done!

1/25: embassy visit
3/13: status changed to "In Progress"
3/18: got the decision
3/26: got the card

:D

They only granted me 2 years though (for type A - is this normal? why not the max 4 years?). Will have to extend once or twice before I can apply for permanent permit.
Last edited by agroot on Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

agroot

Post by agroot » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:05 am

More waiting - eServices says 1-2 weeks to wait for the card, or 3-4 weeks if I'm from Iran and China etc.

But elsewhere (their decision PDF, FAQ) say 2-3 weeks! :roll:

No status I can find.