Moving from US to Finland.

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
tutu10

Post by tutu10 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:56 am

Any American Citizens out there with kids who moved to Finland? Please share your experience and was the hassle really worth it?

We have 4 kids and we are sick of education system and health care in US. We are thinking about moving to Finland and we know how hard it is to start over. And what about the IT jobs there? I have 10 years of software engineering experience with two masters degree and three certifications in IT and two startups.

I really appreciate your help with the comments.

Edit: I added my qualifications.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

vla

Re: Moving from US to Finland.

Post by vla » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:49 am

tutu10 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:56 am
Any American Citizens out there with kids who moved to Finland? Please share your experience and was the hassle really worth it?

We have 4 kids and we are sick of education system and health care in US. We are thinking about moving to Finland and we know how hard it is to start over. And what about the IT jobs there? I have 10 years of software engineering experience with two masters degree and three certifications in IT and two startups.

I really appreciate your help with the comments.

Edit: I added my qualifications.
IT jobs are really well paid and there is a lot of openings. I'm not sure how are the prices compared to the US.

I have moved a few months ago and my family will come next month. We wanted to make sure I have everything ready for when they come so the change is "smooth" at least for the kids. That means aparment, furniture, kindergarten, etc.

How old are your kids? Have you (and your family) visited Finland before?

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:59 pm

vla wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:49 am
IT jobs are really well paid and there is a lot of openings. I'm not sure how are the prices compared to the US.
"Really well paid" is strecthing it a bit; IT in general is quite a vast field. Considering a software developer with 10 years of experience, 5000€/month +- a few hundred is around the ball-park pre-tax, meaning 3000€+ net.

Compared to the US, multiply a Finnish monthly € salary by 20 and you're not that far off from US annual $ salary, e.g. 4000€ -> $80000. Naturally there's also variation in US salaries, depending on the region and the job itself.

agroot

Post by agroot » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:11 pm

I wouldn't call it very well-paid. I'm from East Asia and the top salaries after-tax are close as their difference between junior and senior is small, just higher enough to cover the increase in rent (however, living in Finland itself is worth all increases :D). Of course it'd be even better if you factor in reduced work hours, longer and flexible vacation days, happy working environment, (lack of) traffic during commute, etc.

I've never been to US, though.

You can find on various websites the top range for engineers (no management role) is usually around 75k to 65k. And then subtract the tax ( https://avoinomavero.vero.fi/_/ ), and add some child support.

vla

Post by vla » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:08 pm

agroot wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:11 pm
I wouldn't call it very well-paid. I'm from East Asia and the top salaries after-tax are close as their difference between junior and senior is small, just higher enough to cover the increase in rent (however, living in Finland itself is worth all increases :D). Of course it'd be even better if you factor in reduced work hours, longer and flexible vacation days, happy working environment, (lack of) traffic during commute, etc.

I've never been to US, though.

You can find on various websites the top range for engineers (no management role) is usually around 75k to 65k. And then subtract the tax ( https://avoinomavero.vero.fi/_/ ), and add some child support.
When me and family decided to move to Finland we had also the possibility to move to Germany. We both have lived in Germany in the past and are fluent in german. The salaries in Germany are higher than in Finland but we believe money it's not all, so here we are now.

Money is important but it's not the most important thing. Specially if you have kids Finland is a really good place. Consider access to nature as a plus. Put things in the balance and make a decision with that.

About traffic, I don't agree that much. I live in Vantaa and the traffic is ok (I drive to work), but when I have to go to Helsinki is hell. People claim that Finland has a good public transportation system but all the people I know that have kids drive a car.

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:37 pm

vla wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:08 pm
People claim that Finland has a good public transportation system but all the people I know that have kids drive a car.
I think it's only people who live in Helsinki in or along a direct route to the center, or think that Helsinki = Finland, who say that Finland has a good public transportation system. One might argue that it's good compared to some other places but as you said, it doesn't take much until one will want to have a car, despitate the cost of owning and using one.

biswajit.sharma

Post by biswajit.sharma » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:37 am

While Capital Area of Helsinki (Vaanta + Helsinki + Espoo) is definitely the power center and most companies have the HQs there.

Other cities such as Tampere, Turku etc. are also options.
Lot of Tech companies in these areas too.

Smaller cities have slightly easy going lifestyle and suits Family life well.
Plus affordability goes up - as Housing etc. are generally little cheaper.

Van7315

Post by Van7315 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:51 pm

Don't expect it to be the same as in the US. Don't expect to get weekly updates from the teachers or any help when it comes to bullying. Everything is laid back and they expect parents to have a hands off approach. My son has ADD and Tourette's and I asked to be notified when there's a quiz coming up or projects and it was like I was asking them to bend over backwards. I never know what chapter they're doing or what they're studying. It's very relaxed so if you're a parent that likes to be involved, it's going to be tough for you.