Medical Insurance for Students with pre-existing condition

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
dee45

Post by dee45 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:37 pm

Hello,

I am arriving to study in Finland this year. I have Crohn's disease, and it was previously treated in my home country, India. I would like to buy insurance for myself for my study period in Finland, and I have also heard that medical assistance is quite expensive there.
Does anyone know of a good medical insurance provider that covers pre-existing conditions?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Medical Insurance for Students with pre-existing condition

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:55 pm

dee45 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:37 pm
I am arriving to study in Finland this year. I have Crohn's disease, and it was previously treated in my home country, India. I would like to buy insurance for myself for my study period in Finland, and I have also heard that medical assistance is quite expensive there.
Does anyone know of a good medical insurance provider that covers pre-existing conditions?
It's unlikely that you will find such an insurance (or it would be very expensive). However, this is not really a problem if you are studying for a degree as you will get a municipality of residence and be covered by the public healthcare. The insurance needs to be only for medicine (as there will be no Kela coverage). I don't know if it's a problem to get the insurance for medicine or not with Crohn's.

dee45

Re: Medical Insurance for Students with pre-existing condition

Post by dee45 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:01 pm

Thank you for the info! :) At this point though, I am willing to pay a little extra premium if it means that I get coverage. Also, I thought kela coverage/ free healthcare is mainly for A-type permit holders. Is that the case for students as well?