Money fraud

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Post Reply
DrStrange1990
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:50 pm

Money fraud

Post by DrStrange1990 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:30 pm

Dear Friends,

One of my friend had given one woman some money for her medical treatment. He made online money transfer to help her. But now that woman is just avoiding him to pay back his money. After asking many times to her, she threatened my friend that she will complaint to police. He is not Finnish & he wants to know how he can get back his money?

He has his bank statement in which it can be seen that he has transferred money to woman's account. Also he has met her & he knows where she lives. Are these sufficient evidences?

Thanks a lot for help!!



Money fraud

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic
 

betelgeuse
Posts: 2984
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:24 am

Re: Money fraud

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:52 pm

DrStrange1990 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:30 pm
One of my friend had given one woman some money for her medical treatment. He made online money transfer to help her. But now that woman is just avoiding him to pay back his money. After asking many times to her, she threatened my friend that she will complaint to police. He is not Finnish & he wants to know how he can get back his money?

He has his bank statement in which it can be seen that he has transferred money to woman's account. Also he has met her & he knows where she lives. Are these sufficient evidences?
Was it supposed to be a loan or a gift? A loan would have to be collected through the courts. However, the friend should check collection records (ulosottotodistus). It's likely that the woman is officially without assets and then can't be collected from. Loaning money without the intention of paying back is worth reporting to the police as likely fraud.


User avatar
rinso
Posts: 3773
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:22 pm

Re: Money fraud

Post by rinso » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:04 am

Was it supposed to be a loan or a gift?
Do you have evidence it was a loan? Otherwise you'll end up in a he said, she said situation.
After asking many times to her, she threatened my friend that she will complaint to police.
If he is (electronically) stalking her, she might have a point. If he has prove of the loan, he should go to the police.


DrStrange1990
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:50 pm

Re: Money fraud

Post by DrStrange1990 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:37 am

betelgeuse wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:52 pm
DrStrange1990 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:30 pm
One of my friend had given one woman some money for her medical treatment. He made online money transfer to help her. But now that woman is just avoiding him to pay back his money. After asking many times to her, she threatened my friend that she will complaint to police. He is not Finnish & he wants to know how he can get back his money?

He has his bank statement in which it can be seen that he has transferred money to woman's account. Also he has met her & he knows where she lives. Are these sufficient evidences?
Was it supposed to be a loan or a gift? A loan would have to be collected through the courts. However, the friend should check collection records (ulosottotodistus). It's likely that the woman is officially without assets and then can't be collected from. Loaning money without the intention of paying back is worth reporting to the police as likely fraud.
It was not a loan or a gift. He helped her in emergency situation after she promised him to pay back the money. But now she is totally avoiding him as she said she doesn't have money to pay back.


DrStrange1990
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:50 pm

Re: Money fraud

Post by DrStrange1990 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:40 am

rinso wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:04 am
Was it supposed to be a loan or a gift?
Do you have evidence it was a loan? Otherwise you'll end up in a he said, she said situation.
After asking many times to her, she threatened my friend that she will complaint to police.
If he is (electronically) stalking her, she might have a point. If he has prove of the loan, he should go to the police.
As in evidence, he just has bank transfer record. And some chat with her on whatsapp about conversation happened between him & her in which she has promised to return him money.


User avatar
rinso
Posts: 3773
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:22 pm

Re: Money fraud

Post by rinso » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:37 am

And some chat with her on whatsapp about conversation happened between him & her in which she has promised to return him money.
A promise without further conditions is rather weak. She can still claim she will pay it back when she has enough money. The fact that she needed money for a medical treatment suggests that she is permanently low on funds. (Kela will cover most of the medical costs) Not a hopeful sign.


Upphew
Posts: 10429
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:55 pm
Location: Lappeenranta

Re: Money fraud

Post by Upphew » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:32 pm

DrStrange1990 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:40 am
As in evidence, he just has bank transfer record. And some chat with her on whatsapp about conversation happened between him & her in which she has promised to return him money.
No interest loan with no end date... good luck collecting.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.


DrStrange1990
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:50 pm

Re: Money fraud

Post by DrStrange1990 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:46 pm

rinso wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:37 am
And some chat with her on whatsapp about conversation happened between him & her in which she has promised to return him money.
A promise without further conditions is rather weak. She can still claim she will pay it back when she has enough money. The fact that she needed money for a medical treatment suggests that she is permanently low on funds. (Kela will cover most of the medical costs) Not a hopeful sign.
Thanks for advice :) :thumbsup:


DrStrange1990
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:50 pm

Re: Money fraud

Post by DrStrange1990 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:47 pm

Upphew wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:32 pm
DrStrange1990 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:40 am
As in evidence, he just has bank transfer record. And some chat with her on whatsapp about conversation happened between him & her in which she has promised to return him money.
No interest loan with no end date... good luck collecting.
Thanks for advice :) :thumbsup:


User avatar
network_engineer
Posts: 717
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:21 am

Re: Money fraud

Post by network_engineer » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:57 pm

DrStrange1990 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:37 am
It was not a loan or a gift
Every money transfer is of a certain type, I am not the best at this, but e.g. for legitimate cases, it could be
  • a payment (in lieu of a service, including a salary)
  • loan (against a promise of a payback)
  • gift (without an explicit desire to get it back, or devoid of fiscal gain or intent)
Illegitimate payments could be against, e.g.
  • blackmail, extortion or similar
In this case, determine this: Was it a loan? Or a gift? See below.
DrStrange1990 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:37 am
He helped her in emergency situation after she promised him to pay back the money.
That promise to pay back, hopefully in text format means it is a "loan".

So, if you have
  • the evidences of transfer, e.g. the bank transfer
  • with requests for the money back (email, text messages etc) to prove your intent that it was a loan
  • any message, from her (doesn't matter Facebook messenger, WhatsApp) whatever that shows *her* intent to pay it back
then, take print-outs of them. These need to be submitted to the police when reporting the issue. Try calling the ulosottovirasto. The only thing I am unsure is IF personal loans are also covered for their assistance, or do you have to be a company.
rinso wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:04 am
If he is (electronically) stalking her, she might have a point.
Yes, there could be a thin line there; however, if the creditor is demanding money back, that would not necessarily be considered stalking unless you are also inter-twining personal issues in there (such as love). If you have evidence that it was a loan (as stated above), file a case. Else, you could also be charged for stalking e.g. if you gave the money, there is evidence of transfer, but no evidence of the transfer being a loan, it could be understood e.g. a payment against a service, e.g. she cleaned your car. That raises a whole lot of other problems.

Which is why most are advising you to take a legal route out.


Upphew
Posts: 10429
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:55 pm
Location: Lappeenranta

Re: Money fraud

Post by Upphew » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:19 pm

network_engineer wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:57 pm
Try calling the ulosottovirasto. The only thing I am unsure is IF personal loans are also covered for their assistance, or do you have to be a company.
All stuff that has been gone through court can be collected by ulosottovirasto, for a fee of course. Some things can be collected without the court, eg. fines, hospital bills.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.


betelgeuse
Posts: 2984
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:24 am

Re: Money fraud

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:15 pm

Upphew wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:32 pm
DrStrange1990 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:40 am
As in evidence, he just has bank transfer record. And some chat with her on whatsapp about conversation happened between him & her in which she has promised to return him money.
No interest loan with no end date... good luck collecting.
No due date is not a problem. When there is no due date, payment can be demanded within 30 days.

https://www.minilex.fi/a/velkakirja-ilman-eräpäivää


Upphew
Posts: 10429
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:55 pm
Location: Lappeenranta

Re: Money fraud

Post by Upphew » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:02 am

betelgeuse wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:15 pm
Upphew wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:32 pm
DrStrange1990 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:40 am
As in evidence, he just has bank transfer record. And some chat with her on whatsapp about conversation happened between him & her in which she has promised to return him money.
No interest loan with no end date... good luck collecting.
No due date is not a problem. When there is no due date, payment can be demanded within 30 days.

https://www.minilex.fi/a/velkakirja-ilman-eräpäivää
Every day you learn something new... thanks!
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.


Post Reply