Residence Permit Approved - What Next?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
biswajit.sharma

Post by biswajit.sharma » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:12 pm

Dear All,
Our Residence permits are approved (we are moving to Tampere).
Just FYI, It took 2+ months for the approval, apparently the Immigration department is heavily loaded.

We wanted your guidance on what should be our Next Steps? Like

- Tax Registration
- Kela Registration ? (I have an employment)
- Healthcare service registration.
- Bank accounts

I am more looking from aspects required by Government and Govt. services or Must do things

(I understand there are other things like accommodation etc.)
Thanks, Biswajit

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

network_engineer

Re: Residence Permit Approved - What Next?

Post by network_engineer » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:40 pm

It's been a very long time since I did this, but here's what I remember:
  • Register yourself and your family with the maistraatti (city council office)
    • you should receive a personal ID numer
  • With that number
    • register with the tax office, get a tax card. You will need an estimate of your income for the year
    • apply for a bank account
    • Go to the local KELA office (often they get the information, but that might be too late sometimes, if you register/ drop off the paper, you have proof of your submission date
Remember to
  • provide your employer, with the personal ID number, tax card, and bank account number (HR department), usually by the 6th of the month, or they will be forced to retain a higher percentage of the taxes
  • inform also the posti (postal services)
  • carry the passport and the residence permit, and employment contract with you as proof, sometimes needed.
  • make the loyalty cards, e.g. the S-Card (S-Group shopping), Plussa (Kesko group), etc.
Sometimes, the cheaper prices are available only to the card holders

You will also need the personal ID number for making an electricity contract (as far as I remember). But that's all I remember for the moment.

biswajit.sharma

Post by biswajit.sharma » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:07 am

network_engineer wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:40 pm

You will also need the personal ID number for making an electricity contract (as far as I remember). But that's all I remember for the moment.
Thank you very much, Great tips.

vla

Post by vla » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:38 am

network_engineer wrote:
  • make the loyalty cards, e.g. the S-Card (S-Group shopping), Plussa (Kesko group), etc.
Sometimes, the cheaper prices are available only to the card holders
Ikea family card is also very useful if you need to get some stuff from there.

agroot

Post by agroot » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:13 pm

vla wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:38 am
Is it mainly for food and small items? I don't see big furniture listed (beds etc) on member.ikeafamily.fi

vla

Post by vla » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:49 pm

agroot wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:13 pm
vla wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:38 am
Is it mainly for food and small items? I don't see big furniture listed (beds etc) on member.ikeafamily.fi
I bought a "vaatekaapi" (no idea of the name in english) last week with 15% discount with the card. I have no idea what listing you are talking about.

agroot

Post by agroot » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:15 pm

vla wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:49 pm
I bought a "vaatekaapi" (no idea of the name in english) last week with 15% discount with the card. I have no idea what listing you are talking about.
WOW! Will apply :D

I thought the list of offers is all they have: https://member.ikeafamily.fi/#/offers/list

jarikaija

Post by jarikaija » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:43 pm

network_engineer wrote:
Mmmm.... And first of all, after registering address at maistraatti (and when have personal ID),
then to order time for police station for identity card. Without that card can't get full access bank account etc...

Alien passport is not enough for banks...

(Now personal ID is given automatically when get RP card)

latikajamal

Post by latikajamal » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:28 pm

jarikaija wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:43 pm
network_engineer wrote:
Mmmm.... And first of all, after registering address at maistraatti (and when have personal ID),
then to order time for police station for identity card. Without that card can't get full access bank account etc...

Hi! Can i ask what is the purpose of that card that we need to get in the police station? Just asking :P because i got everything with residence card and passport plus the paper from maistraatti :thumbsup: it seems that i missed to get that card :roll:

network_engineer

Post by network_engineer » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:42 am

jarikaija wrote:

Er, has the system changed now? You should already have your residence permit in hand when you move to Finland, or do they issue it only when you are here? Back in the days, the permit was a sticker affixed in your passport. The sticker + the passport was enough for the maistraatti to give you a personal ID number.

vla

Post by vla » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:44 am

latikajamal wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:28 pm
jarikaija wrote:
network_engineer wrote:

Hi! Can i ask what is the purpose of that card that we need to get in the police station? Just asking :P because i got everything with residence card and passport plus the paper from maistraatti :thumbsup: it seems that i missed to get that card :roll:
You need the ID card issued by the police in order to have access to online authentication (strong authentication they call it sometimes) with your bank credentials to online services like Vero, Kela, etc.

You go to the police to apply for the ID card (you have to schedule on the police website) and it takes around 2 weeks. When you have it you have to go to your bank and show it to them so they activate strong authorization.

agroot

Post by agroot » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:01 pm

jarikaija wrote:
I got personal ID already. Should I still visit maistraatti asap as migri told me in the decision? Or it's only needed after I get a place?

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:57 pm

You have to have a place to live before registering your residence with maistraatti

jarikaija

Post by jarikaija » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:42 pm

network_engineer wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:42 am
jarikaija wrote:

Er, has the system changed now? You should already have your residence permit in hand when you move to Finland, or do they issue it only when you are here? Back in the days, the permit was a sticker affixed in your passport. The sticker + the passport was enough for the maistraatti to give you a personal ID number.
Yep. It changed... Everyone, who get RP card (what needed anyway, BEFORE moving to Finland), will get personal
ID code automatically nowadays. No need to go order it anymore. ID is printed backside of RP card.

And when arrived to Finland, then have to go to Maistraatti to apply address & family tie registering.

After that order identity clarification appointment for Police for identity card (not same as kela or rp card!!!).
With that card you can prove your identity for domestical flights, banks (to get full access)...
Last edited by jarikaija on Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

agroot

Post by agroot » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:46 pm

heretostay wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:57 pm
You have to have a place to live before registering your residence with maistraatti
Yes that's why I found it confusing. The guide that comes with my permit and personal identity code:
When you arrive in Finland, visit the Local Register Office as soon as you can. If possible, fill
in the Registration of Foreigners form before the visit. The form is available on the Register Of-
fices’ website. You can be registered as officially resident in Finland only after you visit the Local
Register Office.
I actually downloaded the form "Registration Information of a foreigner" and there is an "Address in Finland" field on it. :roll: