International Business Entry Exam 2019

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
jackz354

Post by jackz354 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:52 pm

Hello everyone,

I will be sitting entry exams at the start of April and I'm just wondering is there anything I should know/prepare before sitting these exams. I have read over the pre-reading material a few times but I don't know what else i should do. My exams are in Oulu and in Arcada. Are there any tips I should know ?
How hard is the math and logistics part in these exams?

Any help is greatly appreciated :) .

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Aimee

Re: International Business Entry Exam 2019

Post by Aimee » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:41 pm

Hi! So I sat the exams abroad and I can't go into detail about the exacts. Given, you might get a different paper? I don't know. But the maths and logistics part was fairly straight forward. There were 2 or 3 "difficult" questions but the rest were fine. 8 haven't been to school in 7 years and I didn't look at any maths beforehand and it wasn't daunting at all. Few percentage questions, a few addition and subtraction. 1 algebra, if I remember correctly. So don't worry about it.

I studied the material obsessively beforehand. When I met the other applicants it seemed they had just read over it... One only opened the reports a couple of days prior to the exam. The multiple choice questions required you to know some key lines from the reports. I'm not saying learn every word but become very familiar with them. So when you read the multiple choice you'll know the answers. It took me less than 10 minutes to go through them. You sound like you're doing well enough so far so don't stress!

The essay has an option of either report. So they'll ask you to choose A or B. And you write about that. The lines on the page are spaced apart more and it's an A4 page and a half to write. Again, it was manageable. They look for grammar, spelling, punctuation and overall sense. I'd advise to learn a few key terms, some definitions and references from the ecological report and some definitions and a few key words from the structure one. And whatever you're asked you'll be able to talk about it.

I finished my exam in 2 hours, going really slow and after planning and mapping my points for the essay and double checking all my maths. You've got ample time to do it so don't rush yourself. Take a breath when you get the paper and don't panic if you feel stuck.

They had us in 2 groups of 4. I sat next to a guy and across from another girl. And we spoke about inequality and switching to more sustainable behaviours. It turned into a debate with pros and cons. The examiners appreciated referencing the reports. As long as you listen to each other and talk, I doubt you'd fail that part.

Overall the exam isn't as daunting as you may think it is. The examiners were very understanding and approachable. The one part that may get you is the essay as that's a pass/fail mark. So just do as well as you can. Make sure your grammar is correct and that you have a couple key points in there and it'll be smooth sailing!

Wish you the best of luck. Hope this helps a little xx

jackz354

Post by jackz354 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:32 pm

Honestly thank you so much. You really did help me out a lot. I will be sure to keep everything thing you said in mind as we seem to have a similar exam as far as I know. You really did help out so much!!

Many Thanks!!

Aimee

Post by Aimee » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:28 pm

No problem! Really wish you the best of luck. You'll do great
☺️

nandobsantos

Post by nandobsantos » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:21 am

Anyone here applied for Haaga-Helia ??
I am @#$% Anxious waiting the results and i'm not so confident about it, my writing test was terrible, maybe maths and interview will save me hahaha

Aimee

Post by Aimee » Tue May 07, 2019 4:50 pm

Hey! I'm. Not going to haaga-helia but I know exactly how you feel. I. Know I put words together for the essay but that's a pass/fail mark. I'm in bits waiting for the results to be posted! Wonder how were going to get them!

I'm sure you didn't do so poorly!