Cancelling of permit

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
vic86

Cancelling of permit

Post by vic86 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:53 pm

I'm hoping someone here may have some information regarding this issue: I have a residence permit based on family ties and moved to Finland with my Finnish partner in December 2017. I left the country in February as due to many problems with relationship we decided to do trial separation. After some months apart I have decided to permanently end the relationship. My Finnish partner is very unhappy with this decision and, without going into too much detail, he has not been very pleasant towards me. Anyway, he has said he is going to immediately contact the authorities to have my permit cancelled ( I have no issue with this because I was not planning on going back to Finland anyway), my concern however is that he says he is going to tell the authorities I came under false pretences and that will probably mean that I will be penalized in some way and will not be able to get a visa in the future to travel anywhere in Europe. First of all, it is not true, I moved to Finland with this man because I loved him and when we started having problems last year I fought for us to go to counselling to try and resolve the issues, he wasn't interested. I tried to make things work but in the end had to be honest with myself and him.
I know he is trying to scare me into coming back but I'm still worried that the authorities will believe his lies.
Does anyone have experience with this process? Does migri contact you or inform you first if your Finnish partner wants to cancel your permit. Should I contact them myself first? Also how long does the process take? I have an online job where my salary is paid into my Finnish account and its too late to change the account for this month (I get paid second week of May). So I'm worried my bank account and things like that will be closed before I can transfer the money out. He was threatening to contact the authorities today.
I really hope someone can offer some advice or guidance about this.
Sorry this is so long.

Cancelling of permit

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

rinso

Re: Cancelling of permit

Post by rinso » Wed May 01, 2019 6:46 am

Relax, Migri (and the police) are not on a witch hunt. Most likely they will do nothing in those "he said, she said" cases. At best there will be a note in your file and the case will be reviewed when you apply for an extension.

Sirwise

Post by Sirwise » Wed May 01, 2019 11:44 am

Hey, don't be scared, what kinda permit you have? First permit or extension

vic86

Post by vic86 » Wed May 01, 2019 2:35 pm

Sirwise wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 11:44 am
Hey, don't be scared, what kinda permit you have? First permit or extension
It's a first permit. Does that make a difference do you think?

vic86

Post by vic86 » Wed May 01, 2019 2:47 pm

rinso wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 6:46 am
Relax, Migri (and the police) are not on a witch hunt. Most likely they will do nothing in those "he said, she said" cases. At best there will be a note in your file and the case will be reviewed when you apply for an extension.
I'm in my home country at the moment but I have a return ticket to fly back to Finland on the 9th. I'm torn between whether to just cancel it or not. He is the reason I got the permit so if the relationship is over, should I just forget it and focus on rebuilding my life here? I was starting to build a life there and ideally I would want to go back to but not at the cost of playing right into his hands with his accusations. I don't know. Just confused and aware it's a big crossroads in my life I guess.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed May 01, 2019 4:17 pm

vic86 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:53 pm
Does anyone have experience with this process? Does migri contact you or inform you first if your Finnish partner wants to cancel your permit.
You would be informed since:

"Before a matter is decided, each party shall be provided with an opportunity to express an opinion on the matter and to submit an explanation of claims and of evidence which may influence the decision."

https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/kaannokse ... 030434.pdf
vic86 wrote:
Also how long does the process take?
If you appeal, easily a year. However, do note that there is cause for cancellation if the family relationship does not exist any more.

vic86

Post by vic86 » Wed May 01, 2019 5:49 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 4:17 pm
vic86 wrote:
Does anyone have experience with this process? Does migri contact you or inform you first if your Finnish partner wants to cancel your permit.
You would be informed since:

"Before a matter is decided, each party shall be provided with an opportunity to express an opinion on the matter and to submit an explanation of claims and of evidence which may influence the decision."

https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/kaannokse ... 030434.pdf
vic86 wrote:
Also how long does the process take?
If you appeal, easily a year. However, do note that there is cause for cancellation if the family relationship does not exist any more.
Thank you for this info. Unfortunately the family relationship doesn't exist anymore. I'm back in my home country but worried because he is angry and bitter about the relationship ending and he was threatening me with all kinds of things. He's said he's going to tell them I came under false pretences to ensure I can never again get a visa for Finland or anywhere else. I know these are scare tactics but just wanted to make sure Migri will at least me present my side before they do something like that.