Confused about marrying on a visit visa

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
aakalim

Post by aakalim » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:47 am

Hello,
I have been living in Finland for 4 years now and i have a typeA residence permit. I need some information on getting married in Finland.

I have been in a relationship with a girl from my own country. I met her in Finland when she was here on a tourist visa last year and we also met when i visited my own country later that year. Now we are planning to get married.

We plan for her to get a visit visa again and then get married in Finland. Now i know that is not the recommended route and might not work. However, if we get married in our own country and then apply for the RP from there, it takes almost an year to get the visa, and that is a problem since we dont want to wait that long to be together. So we are looking at the first option.

Now i want to know how risky is the first option i.e. getting married in Finland on a tourist visa, and then applying for a residence permit on the basis of family ties? Can it work? And is there anyone who has opted for this route?

Thanks

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Maeke

Re: Confused about marrying on a visit visa

Post by Maeke » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:54 am

Here is my 2 cent in this.
There is actually nothing shady and risky in marrying in Finland (or wherever for that matter) on a tourist visa. I think the prerequisite is to be in the country legally, and a tourist visa is a very legal way of being in a country. Actually from all the threads I read on here, many people went down that road and lots have had success. I'm no migri officer but it actually does sound convincing for a girl to get another visa and get married there on her second trip. It means the relationship looks genuine, versus one who would get married in the very first visit.

jarikaija

Post by jarikaija » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:48 am

aakalim wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:47 am

we get married in our own country and then apply for the RP from there, it takes almost an year to get the visa, and that is a problem since we dont want to wait that long to be together. So we are looking at the first option.
Not Visa. Resident permit...

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:58 am

I think if you are not Finnish or EU citizen she cannot stay in Finland to wait for the decision.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:48 am

tavastia wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:58 am
I think if you are not Finnish or EU citizen she cannot stay in Finland to wait for the decision.
Have a source for that?

"May I wait for the decision on my resident permit application in Finland?
When you submit your application to a Finnish embassy, you may visit Finland during the time your application is pending, but you must return to your home country when your visa or visa-free period expires

If you submit your application to the Finnish Immigration Service, you may reside in Finland while your application is pending, even if your visa or visa-free period expires during this time. If you are not granted a residence permit, you may be refused entry to Finland."
https://migri.fi/en/faq-residence-permits
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

quillcentaur

Post by quillcentaur » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:56 am

tavastia wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:58 am
I'm not EU citizen, but I'm allowed to wait for decision here in Finland. Immigration gave me a paper to prove I'm allowed to stay while waiting for decision.
Last edited by quillcentaur on Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:50 am

Then is my mistake, things may got easier then now than before.

quillcentaur

Post by quillcentaur » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:09 pm

Keep in mind Schengen will approve you on the basis that you'll leave Schengen when your visa expires, so your partner shouldn't tell them during Schengen application that you plan to marry in Finland.

But still get married in Finland anyway and apply for RP while in Finland. Then stay while waiting