Residence Permit Approved - What Next?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
betelgeuse

Re: Residence Permit Approved - What Next?

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:38 am

vla wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:45 am
Maeke wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:44 am
Also, another (unrelated question) :
I will be relocating to Finland (from Canada) on June 26. Now that I have the residency card, should I show it to the border agent of the first Schengen country I will be entering, at the same time as my Canadian passport? Or they don't care about residence card?
Police officers and specially border guards have access to that information only with your passport. So just show it if they ask for it. In my experience the one who ask for residence permit card are the airline staff at checking desk if you only have one-way ticket. Of course, they don't have access to the same systems as the police/border guards.
They are planning to but I don’t think they have access to residence permit information yet. It’s better to give the permit with the passport to avoid confusion.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/e ... -security/

The main purposes behind the amending regulation are:
-To further strengthen the security of the short-stay visa procedure
-To include long-stay visas and residence permits in the database”

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

vla

Post by vla » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:24 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:38 am
They are planning to but I don’t think they have access to residence permit information yet. It’s better to give the permit with the passport to avoid confusion.
I have never showed nor they have never asked for it. Anyway, it doesn't hurt to show it to them I guess.

agroot

Post by agroot » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:24 am

Maeke wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:40 am
Can anyone answer this : since migri gives fic(Finnish identity code) at the same time as rpc (residency permit card), is there a form we can fill online regarding the registration of municipality of residence? Or you just go there and talk to someone?
Yes you'll get the code, but not the identity card, which is optional but needed for online banking and MyTax etc.

When you arrive you should go to the Maistraatti. In Helsinki the new one is basically a one stop for applying everything except identity card (to be applied in police station)

vla

Post by vla » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:41 am

agroot wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:24 am
Maeke wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:40 am
Can anyone answer this : since migri gives fic(Finnish identity code) at the same time as rpc (residency permit card), is there a form we can fill online regarding the registration of municipality of residence? Or you just go there and talk to someone?
Yes you'll get the code, but not the identity card, which is optional but needed for online banking and MyTax etc.

When you arrive you should go to the Maistraatti. In Helsinki the new one is basically a one stop for applying everything except identity card (to be applied in police station)
This information is partly wrong (also partly right :P): ID card is optional but IS NOT needed for online banking, only for banks to activate strong authentication which you can use for online public services like Vero, Kela, etc. You can still use online banking without the ID card.

And anyway the question was about residence permit being showed at border control or not :P

Maeke

Post by Maeke » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:55 pm

Thanks to all for the valuable info!
Just a follow up question if I may.

Seems like that police ID card is really not optional at all if it's needed for accessing vero, kela, etc.... But yet, lots of Finns don't have it and have not even heard about it. How is that possible? Just trying to figure out if the police Id for foreigner is mandatory or not,because my step plan was (always having with me passport + residency card) :
- mastraati (municipality registration) : immediate
- bank (Nordea) for bank account + online credentials (I thought this is where you get strong authorization!! Not true?)
- Kela (health card + social services registry)
- mobile phone (prepaid DNA or other supplier) for mobile ID credentials.
- Tax card
- (optional or mandatory) Police ID card for foreigners

Does it sound about the right order of things?

vla

Post by vla » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:20 pm

Maeke wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:55 pm
Thanks to all for the valuable info!
Just a follow up question if I may.

Seems like that police ID card is really not optional at all if it's needed for accessing vero, kela, etc.... But yet, lots of Finns don't have it and have not even heard about it. How is that possible? Just trying to figure out if the police Id for foreigner is mandatory or not,because my step plan was (always having with me passport + residency card) :
- mastraati (municipality registration) : immediate
- bank (Nordea) for bank account + online credentials (I thought this is where you get strong authorization!! Not true?)
- Kela (health card + social services registry)
- mobile phone (prepaid DNA or other supplier) for mobile ID credentials.
- Tax card
- (optional or mandatory) Police ID card for foreigners

Does it sound about the right order of things?
As already stated before, ID card is optional. If you want online banking, you don't need it. You need it if you want to access public services online, but you can still use them without ID card, just have to go to their offices instead.

You need the ID card if you want mobile certificate. But if you have the ID card you can use Nordea's authentication instead, you will need your phone anyway and Nordea authentication is easier than DNA (or other suppliers) mobile certificate.

vla

Post by vla » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:34 pm

Maeke wrote:
But yet, lots of Finns don't have it and have not even heard about it. How is that possible?
It used to be possible to use driving license instead, but not anymore. That's why Finns usually don't have ID card.

Anyway, once my ID card expires I will not renovate it, since I have already activated strong authentication.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:15 pm

vla wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:34 pm
Maeke wrote:
But yet, lots of Finns don't have it and have not even heard about it. How is that possible?
It used to be possible to use driving license instead, but not anymore. That's why Finns usually don't have ID card.
Finns can also use their passports.

Maeke

Post by Maeke » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:08 am

Awesome. Thanks for the replies.
I'll apply for the ID card to get the strong authentication activated on my Nordea.

General question : what's the best way to build a credit history in Finland when you come from abroad?

jarikaija

Post by jarikaija » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:16 am

Maeke wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:08 am
Awesome. Thanks for the replies.
I'll apply for the ID card to get the strong authentication activated on my Nordea.

General question : what's the best way to build a credit history in Finland when you come from abroad?
Credit history? Whohooo... We don't have that kind (positive history)...
Negative one, yes, we have, if don't pay bills...

In these days, they planned to start to build somekind positive history database,
but it will take a loooooong until it is usable, but up to this day, never...

Maeke

Post by Maeke » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:12 pm

Ok lol . So it means All it takes prrof of employment (permanent job I gather) and nothing more ?
I imagine you always need a co-signer as well.

Thanks for the reply.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:12 am

Maeke wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:12 pm
Ok lol . So it means All it takes prrof of employment (permanent job I gather) and nothing more ?

Thanks for the reply.
My experience is that you need to have lived in Finland for a couple of years before being considered for a loan.

jarikaija

Post by jarikaija » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:50 am

Maeke wrote:

Thanks for the reply.
Information about salary (with copy), address at Finland, some kind
of history about work (when hired)...

If you are going to get up to 50 000 (what mean that you have a GOOD salary),
you can get it without CO-signer. But that really mean, you have been many years
on work already and have a more than 4000e/month salary.

For 20 000e loan, a few year working + 3000e/month seems to be enough.

For 10 000 and under, I think it is easy. You should use online services, what
get all offers from several banks (+20) and choose then...

An one example:

https://www.omalaina.fi/?campaign=adwor ... pWEALw_wcB

jarikaija

Post by jarikaija » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:51 am

jarikaija wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:50 am
Maeke wrote:

Thanks for the reply.
Information about salary (with copy), copy of tax papers, address at Finland, some kind
of history about work (when hired)...

If you are going to get up to 50 000 (what mean that you have a GOOD salary),
you can get it without CO-signer. But that really mean, you have been many years
on work already and have a more than 4000e/month salary.

For 20 000e loan, a few year working + 3000e/month seems to be enough.

For 10 000 and under, I think it is easy. You should use online services, what
get all offers from several banks (+20) and choose then...

An one example:

https://www.omalaina.fi/?campaign=adwor ... pWEALw_wcB

Maeke

Post by Maeke » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:33 am

Hi All,

Just thought I would report here my experience.
Moved to Joensuu in end June of this year. Had my plan as follow ,
- (1) Municipality of residence registration
- (2) Kela
- (3) Bank
- (4) Police ID card.

On this thread, i read step (1) was the fastest, some even said 15 minutes. It didn't quite happen that way. Maybe it was because of midsummer vacation or there is a big backlog, but the Mastraatti woman (very nice and polite by the way) took my application form, copied my passport and RP card and sent it all for processing to Helsinki and told me It would be 3 to 4 weeks before it's done. I was quite in shock as I thought It was instantaneous (It used to be), but that is no more. So till today, waiting for letter for (1) before I can do the others. Still working with my canadian bank account, for example.
Just thought I'd share it with you guys.