Expat car Insurance UK

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
snorlonikins

Expat car Insurance UK

Post by snorlonikins » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:07 pm

Hi all,

I have to return to the UK. My son is letting me use his car, but I have to MOT, Tax and insure it. I haven't had UK car insurance for over 9 years. Is it easy to get car insurance for a month or so?

If so, can anyone recommend an insurance company.

Thanks in advance. :)

Expat car Insurance UK

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

SecretCode

Re: Expat car Insurance UK

Post by SecretCode » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:43 pm

There are a number of short term insurance policies available - I used one for while my daughter was practising for her test - imaginatively called "insurelearnerdriver" (obviously that particular one's not relevant to you).

All I can suggest is look at the comparison sites for options - Short Term Car Insurance - MoneySuperMarket, Temporary car insurance - Short term cover - Confused.com, Short Term Car Insurance for UK Visitors, etc.
And then look at ratings sites like Car Insurance - Which? or Defaqto to make sure they are OK.

But most insurance products seem to be thin marketing wrappers over other products made by the big players and underwritten by yet other players. It can be hard to get a real comparison. Insurance companies are in business to take your money, not to give it to you when you need it.

snorlonikins

Post by snorlonikins » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:40 pm

Thanks, Secret,

It's like a minefield and one company has quoted £289. for 28 days, so I'm using that as a base. I'll certainly take a look at the sites you've suggested.

Kind regards,

:-D

DMC

Post by DMC » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:33 pm

I have had problems in the UK in getting insurance for a car I did not own. It might be easier & cheaper to insure the car in your son's name with you as a named driver.

riku2

Post by riku2 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:52 am

I got myself added to my dad's car insurance in the UK so I can drive it there and over the phone they recalculated the annual price (visions of the price rocketing up) and it was about 10 pounds more expensive - and that's being added for a whole year.

Being a non-UK resident driving a non-rental car in the UK has the interesting effect that camera speeding tickets can't be enforced, since the owner of the car will be asked who was driving and will give your details and there is no way to apply those kind of fines to non-UK residents! With rental cars the company will charge it to your credit card though.

DMC

Post by DMC » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:37 am

riku2 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:52 am
I got myself added to my dad's car insurance in the UK so I can drive it there and over the phone they recalculated the annual price (visions of the price rocketing up) and it was about 10 pounds more expensive - and that's being added for a whole year.
My mother added me to her car insurance and got a small refund!