Cancelling a Student Permit Application

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
finndian

Post by finndian » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:26 pm

Hello,

Does anyone know how long it takes to cancel a student permit application?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

ICT

Re: Cancelling a Student Permit Application

Post by ICT » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:28 pm

You can cancel anytime. But why do you want to cancel the application. Be patient, very soon, you will get a response.
keep moving...

finndian

Post by finndian » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:22 am

ICT wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:28 pm
You can cancel anytime. But why do you want to cancel the application. Be patient, very soon, you will get a response.
ICT because my uni has the last date to enroll on Sep 2, if I do not get permit by then I am likely to lose my study place. I was hoping instead to cancel and come to Finland on travel visa apply here, at least in that way I can enroll in time :)

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:12 am

You cannot apply for a student visa from within Finland. Doesn’t work that way.

finndian

Post by finndian » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:50 pm

But I personally know some students who have done that. Are u saying if I do it they will decline the application? I believe Migri has mishandled my application so I thought it might be better to apply in person :|

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:36 pm

finndian wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:50 pm
But I personally know some students who have done that. Are u saying if I do it they will decline the application? I believe Migri has mishandled my application so I thought it might be better to apply in person :|
Applying in person doesn't mean you get to talk with the official making the decision.

finndian

Post by finndian » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:23 am

betelgeuse wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:36 pm
finndian wrote:
Applying in person doesn't mean you get to talk with the official making the decision.
I understand that, but they have asked me for the same documents over and over again and I believe they haven't "understood" the documents, for the lack of a better word. I figured making an application in person in Finland would make a difference. I'm just trying all possibilities so that I don't lose my study place in Finland because of such issues :/

vla

Post by vla » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:01 am

finndian wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:23 am
betelgeuse wrote:
finndian wrote:
I understand that, but they have asked me for the same documents over and over again and I believe they haven't "understood" the documents, for the lack of a better word. I figured making an application in person in Finland would make a difference. I'm just trying all possibilities so that I don't lose my study place in Finland because of such issues :/
Processing of manual paper applications (in person) is slower and more expensive, so plan wisely.

Probably your documents are not clear enough and that's why they don't understand them?

Supermies

Post by Supermies » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:39 am

Can't you get extension in studies based on the application you have submitted in Migri. You can submit in the university, the document stating that you have applied for the permit. University should not have any kind of objection if you submit that document. I have done it myself while I used to study.

I do not know if the rules are changed.

ICT

Post by ICT » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:04 am

I understand your worries, but one thing I am sure of is that non of this is your fault. you have provided them all the documents that they have requested, so you just have to wait. It is common for them to ask you for the same documents over and over again (in my opinion, they are just trying to see if something has changed in your situation), so do not worry too much about it. If you come here to apply, it is still the same situation ( if not even complicated), so wait for the decision. About your study place, I do not think you will lose it if you have not received a negative decision. so just be patient and wait.
keep moving...

finndian

Post by finndian » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:48 am

vla wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:01 am
finndian wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:23 am
betelgeuse wrote:

Processing of manual paper applications (in person) is slower and more expensive, so plan wisely.

Probably your documents are not clear enough and that's why they don't understand them?
Yes, I'm willing to take that risk if it ensures I get another chance at applying when I apply in person in Finland. :)

As for the documents, they have asked for the exact documents again, not updated ones. I would have understood if they wanted an updated bank account, but it wasn't the case. I also made sure to attach official authority letters with some documents (like bank etc) with explanation of the currency and deposits. Every other document is straightforward. I don't understand what they found difficult :(

finndian

Post by finndian » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:49 am

Supermies wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:39 am
Can't you get extension in studies based on the application you have submitted in Migri. You can submit in the university, the document stating that you have applied for the permit. University should not have any kind of objection if you submit that document. I have done it myself while I used to study.

I do not know if the rules are changed.
It's apparently not possible anymore with my uni, so if I don't enroll in time I lose my study place and I have to reapply from the beginning :|

finndian

Post by finndian » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:58 am

ICT wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:04 am
I understand your worries, but one thing I am sure of is that non of this is your fault. you have provided them all the documents that they have requested, so you just have to wait. It is common for them to ask you for the same documents over and over again (in my opinion, they are just trying to see if something has changed in your situation), so do not worry too much about it. If you come here to apply, it is still the same situation ( if not even complicated), so wait for the decision. About your study place, I do not think you will lose it if you have not received a negative decision. so just be patient and wait.
Thank you for understanding ☺️I checked with my uni however, and they say irrespective of the permit, if I'm not in Finland physically before the enrolment deadline, I lose my study place. That's part of why I'm so frustrated.
I know each application is unique, but 2 of my friends who applied 2 weeks after I did got their permits by June 3. They applied on April 15 and their application already started to be processed end of april. I applied on April 3 but my application went into process on May 20. Migri encourages early applications for early decisions, but I just feel cheated because of this. At this point the application time for my college of interest in India also ended so I have to wait another year. So I just want to be done with this, positive or not. And coming to Finland on travel visa, and applying there was going to be my last resort. 🤦😕 That's why I am curious to know how long it takes to cancel the application officially, because if I have to wait another 6 months to cancel it then I'm going to lose my last option as well 😁

MacMutha

Post by MacMutha » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:16 am

Which school is that you have to reapply a fresh coz for me I was supposed to report on 26 August but I emailed the students services and told me my last reporting date is 13 September 2019 waiting patiently for my RP

ICT

Post by ICT » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:22 am

MacMutha wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:16 am
Which school is that you have to reapply a fresh coz for me I was supposed to report on 26 August but I emailed the students services and told me my last reporting date is 13 September 2019 waiting patiently for my RP
Did you get your RP yet?
keep moving...