Citizenship Application 2019

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
alijatoi255

Re: Citizenship Application 2019

Post by alijatoi255 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:18 pm

I applied in Helsinki
Supermies wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:26 pm
alijatoi255 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:21 pm
Congratulations

I applied online on 21.3
proved Identity 22.3

But Still waiting, hopefully i will soon get the decision
duddypoopoo wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:54 pm
Hi :D
Just got a positive decision on my application this morning at 9:40.

21.3.2019: Applied online
22.3.2019: Proved my identity at Vaasa service point
15.8.2019: Received a positive decision

The application was never in stage 2 before I received the decision.
I have never been asked for any supplement, but I did upload my latest payslip every month.

Gook luck everybody!

Where did you apply?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Supermies

Post by Supermies » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:07 pm

alijatoi255 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:18 pm
I applied in Helsinki
Supermies wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:26 pm
alijatoi255 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:21 pm
Congratulations

I applied online on 21.3
proved Identity 22.3

But Still waiting, hopefully i will soon get t0he decision

Where did you apply?
That was certainly quick

mucori

Post by mucori » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:38 am

rucindrea wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:02 pm
Supermies wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:22 pm
I got the standard email to send more info on means of support and travels since my proof of identity on 27.07 and sent it. Now waiting for processing...
Received the email to update the application with means of support and travels. Email arrived exactly after 6 months since I proved my identity.

Is it the indication the processing gona start soon? :lightbulb: :lightbulb:
I hope so! At least my application is still "Waiting for processing"... hopefully it won't be long now for both of us!

Is there anyone else here around the 6 months mark?
Received same email as the one u posted here....after 6 months waitng.How did it go for you so far?

rucindrea

Post by rucindrea » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:50 am

mucori wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:38 am
Received same email as the one u posted here....after 6 months waitng.How did it go for you so far?
Nothing new for me. My application is still in phase 1, "waiting for processing"...

Casual_Commuter

Post by Casual_Commuter » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:12 am

Hi!
Just wanted to add my situation to the statistics.
So, I’ve submitted my application in the mid of March this year and two weeks ago it went to the second stage. Nothing has been asked so far but I uploaded the latest payslips because it could maybe speed up the processing since they won’t have to send me a request and also because I was pretty restless to wait.

Also a bit of personal experience with the Enter Finland service. I have to say that sometimes it was working unstable, for example one time as I’ve logged in I saw my application just disappeared! It was pretty dreadful but luckily it reappeared once I’ve logged out and in again. Also the authentication process sometimes had ended with an error. Did someone have anything like this?

alijatoi255

Post by alijatoi255 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:05 pm

In which city did you applied for citizenship ?
Casual_Commuter wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:12 am
Hi!
Just wanted to add my situation to the statistics.
So, I’ve submitted my application in the mid of March this year and two weeks ago it went to the second stage. Nothing has been asked so far but I uploaded the latest payslips because it could maybe speed up the processing since they won’t have to send me a request and also because I was pretty restless to wait.

Also a bit of personal experience with the Enter Finland service. I have to say that sometimes it was working unstable, for example one time as I’ve logged in I saw my application just disappeared! It was pretty dreadful but luckily it reappeared once I’ve logged out and in again. Also the authentication process sometimes had ended with an error. Did someone have anything like this?

Casual_Commuter

Post by Casual_Commuter » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:17 pm

In which city did you applied for citizenship ?
In Helsinki

nancy1977

Post by nancy1977 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:09 pm

Hello everyone,

My status said my decision is ready. How do I know it is positive or negative?

Thank you.

Casual_Commuter

Post by Casual_Commuter » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:37 pm

nancy1977 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:09 pm
Hello everyone,

Thank you.
Hi, you can try to check your info using the Finnish population register service. If you got the citizenship it will be shown in your profile among with your old citizenship(s).
Here’s the link: https://verkkopalvelu.vrk.fi/Omat/Etusivu.aspx

rohit_ghnp

Post by rohit_ghnp » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:16 pm

nancy1977 wrote:
Hello everyone,

Thank you.
When did you apply? In Helsinki?

italosuomalainen

Post by italosuomalainen » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:16 pm

Hi folks,

Here's an update. Or a non-update, depending on one's point of view.

Aug 16, 2018: submitted my citizenship application online.
Aug 31, 2018: in-person document check at maahanmuuttovirasto (MMV)

Nothing for a very long time, then

Apr 3, 2019: MMV requested my passport, supposedly for an authenticity check. Application moved to "käsittely".
July 3, 2019: I sent a message to MMV, informing them of upcoming travel plans for which I will need my passport, and telling them to return my passport by Aug 1. I also mention in passing that I have good reasons to assume my passport is authentic, as until MMV took my passport away from me, I had been using it frequently for international travel.
Aug 5, 2019: My passport is returned to me. The accompanying letter mentions that MMV will want me to return my passport # XYZ later.
Aug 6, 2019: Applied for a new passport from my embassy - I had made an appointment for this new passport application, not knowing whether MMV would return my old passport to me in time enough for me to travel.
Aug 19, 2019: I get my new passport. (My travel plans for later this month can thus proceed.)
Aug 23, 2019 (i.e. today): Finnish citizenship application is still "käsittelyssä".

In other words: my application has not been processed, one year after I submitted it.

The autheniticity check (aitoustarkastus) strikes me as an implausible reason for the MMV to retain my passport for 4 months. If its authenticity was ever in doubt, I cannot imagine MMV could not have contacted my embassy to inquire. And MMV is telling me that they want me to return it to them(!).

Now, given that my embassy returned my old passport - invalidated - along with my new one, it just so happens that I can comply with the request to return my passport # XYZ to MMV. So I will return to them precisely that (invalidated) passport, and keep my vaild one so my international travel is not constrained by MMV. (If authenticity is indeed the issue, even an invalidated passport should suffice, correct?)

FYI: I clearly fulfill the prerequisites for Finnish citizenship by now. I've resided here for 5 years without interruption, I've remained gainfully employed that entire time, have no criminal record, and I've demonstrated knowledge of the Finnish language at the C1 level. However, I'm aware that I have no claim to Finnish citizenship based on fulfilling the prerequisites, and that whether my application gets a positive decision will be at the discretion of whomever is processing it.

For the first time, I am finding myself frustrated at this process. If I fulfill the prerequisites for Finnish citizenship - and if every relevant authority, including the government of my home country,is unconcerned with the authenticity of my passport, except apparently MMV - what is this belaboring of the authenticity issue really about, and why hasn't a decision - even a negative decision - been made to date?

Casual_Commuter

Post by Casual_Commuter » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:27 pm

italosuomalainen,
A really distressing story.. Did you have any personal hypothesis why would they have chosen your application and your passport as a subject of such a deep inspection? Have you ever tried to call and ask them what was their concern? I understand that they rarely explain anything but maybe they exceptionally would as the processing time has already exceeded the one shown in their site’s calculator. Do you happen to be a self-employed person or entrepreneur? I’ve heard that their applications are often processed very slowly, sometimes it takes even years.

nancy1977

Post by nancy1977 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:05 pm

Casual_Commuter wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:37 pm
nancy1977 wrote:
Hello everyone,

Thank you.
Hi, you can try to check your info using the Finnish population register service. If you got the citizenship it will be shown in your profile among with your old citizenship(s).
Here’s the link: https://verkkopalvelu.vrk.fi/Omat/Etusivu.aspx

Thank you very much, and i have checked and I got the citizehship.

nancy1977

Post by nancy1977 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:06 pm

rohit_ghnp wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:16 pm
nancy1977 wrote:
Hello everyone,

Thank you.
When did you apply? In Helsinki?
Hello, I applied in Rovaniemi

italosuomalainen

Post by italosuomalainen » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:35 pm

Casual_Commuter wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:27 pm
italosuomalainen,
A really distressing story.. Did you have any personal hypothesis why would they have chosen your application and your passport as a subject of such a deep inspection?

--> Two hypotheses.

1) Statistics. Some of the MMV staff are probably more...rigorous than others, and more inclined to give citizenship applications an overly thorough review. It seems likely my application is being processed by this type of person.

2) When I moved here 5 years ago, I may have called attention to myself in a way that makes me look like a troublemaker. Specifically, when I tried opening a bank account, my passport (an international standard passport with the RFID chip integrated, etc.) was not considered a sufficiently secure document for the purpose of unlocking the electronic capabilities of that account. I was told I needed to acquire an ID card issued by Finnish authorities. When I realized that without the electronic capabilities that come with Finnish bank accounts, I would have to pay higher transaction fees to pay my bills (!), I took my bank to the syrjintälautakunta, on the grounds that I was paying my taxes to Finland, but being placed in a disadvantaged position (higher banking fees) compared to others who pay taxes to Finland. I won my case, and my bank had to pay a fine. (I did eventually acquire that Finland-issued ID, as the only other ID I had was my passport - and an ID card is handier to carry on one's person than a large passport.)

Granted, I don't think this second point is something that should disqualify me. Especially because most Finns I know think that Finnish banks have too much say in those online security issues anyway. Then again, I didn't simply do as I was told when faced with a discriminatory practice - I filed a formal complaint and pushed back. Maybe that makes me look bad.

Have you ever tried to call and ask them what was their concern?

--> Not so far. Besides which, I think that it would be a written communication to which MMV would be more inclined to respond - harder to ignore. After all, it was a written communication that I uploaded to my citizenship application, telling MMV to return my passport before my planned trip. They did not meet the deadline I gave them, but they came close enough. (I suspect they complied with my demand because they know that the passport does not belong to them - it belongs to the government that issued it. Had they failed to return it, I would have contacted my embassy and asked them to intercede on my behalf.)

I understand that they rarely explain anything but maybe they exceptionally would as the processing time has already exceeded the one shown in their site’s calculator. Do you happen to be a self-employed person or entrepreneur?

--> I am employed at one of the two major universities here in town. I have been on temporary contracts that have been renewed every few years. I don't know if that qualifies as self-employed (seems unlikely that I would be considered an entrepreneur).

I’ve heard that their applications are often processed very slowly, sometimes it takes even years.

--> Soon, I will leave for two weeks on vacation. Upon my return, I will research the hierarchy structure on MMV, and see if I can communicate with someone higher up in the hierarchy than whoever processes citizenship applications. As I am an EU citizen, and voted in the municipal elections 2+ years ago, I think I may also contact my municipal representative and see whether they can help.

Yes, this is frustrating. But the longer the wait has been, the more inclined I am to think that the MMV employee to whom I was assigned is playing games. Ideally, I would like to become naturalized as a Finnish citizen. But if there are compelling reasons why that can't happen -- for pity's sake, MMV, decline my application and tell me why. It obviously isn't about prerequisites. By now, I have fulfilled them to the letter.