Urgent: Divorce papers of my husband (Finnish citizen)

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
duygu

Post by duygu » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:25 am

Hello everyone,

I am a non-EU citizen and I applied for residence permit based on family ties at the embassy of Finland in Turkey. Now my application is "in progress" and Migri requests from my husband his divorce papers. He got married twice before me, both marriages and divorces took place in Finland.

He doesn't have such papers, and even before my application he had asked Migri by calling them where he can get these documents. They told back then it is not necessary if they happened in Finland and that his registration paper from Maistraatti would suffice as it has information on previous marriages. Therefore I had added that to my application.

Does anyone have idea about where he can get such a document now that they are requesting it? He is trying to reach Migri by phone but due to his working hours he cannot stay by the phone more than half an hour and they seem to keep people waiting on the phone until they connect them to a person.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance :)

Тише едешь, дальше будешь.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Upphew

Re: Urgent: Divorce papers of my husband (Finnish citizen)

Post by Upphew » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:42 am

duygu wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:25 am
Hello everyone,

I am a non-EU citizen and I applied for residence permit based on family ties at the embassy of Finland in Turkey. Now my application is "in progress" and Migri requests from my husband his divorce papers. He got married twice before me, both marriages and divorces took place in Finland.

He doesn't have such papers, and even before my application he had asked Migri by calling them where he can get these documents. They told back then it is not necessary if they happened in Finland and that his registration paper from Maistraatti would suffice as it has information on previous marriages. Therefore I had added that to my application.

Does anyone have idea about where he can get such a document now that they are requesting it? He is trying to reach Migri by phone but due to his working hours he cannot stay by the phone more than half an hour and they seem to keep people waiting on the phone until they connect them to a person.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance :)
Migri should have access to population registry, thus asking for divorce papers seems odd. Then again if he never was divorced legally and now you pop up as his husband/wife it might make them to ask for such a paper.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:46 am

He could get them from the district court office (käräjäoikeus) where the divorce was handled but all data shall be in population registry is odd they ask for it.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:48 am

tavastia wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:46 am
He could get them from the district court office (käräjäoikeus) where the divorce was handled but all data shall be in population registry is odd they ask for it.
Or he can order the population register extract.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:51 am

Upphew wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:42 am
Migri should have access to population registry, thus asking for divorce papers seems odd. Then again if he never was divorced legally and now you pop up as his husband/wife it might make them to ask for such a paper.
In addition to access they have a duty to get the information themselves: "Tuomioistuin- ja hallintomenettelyssä sekä muussa viranomaistehtävän hoitamisessa tarvittavat väestötietojärjestelmän henkilötiedot tulee hankkia viran puolesta, jollei rekisteröity ole asian vireille tultua viivytyksettä ilmoittanut toimittavansa itse tarpeelliset tiedot tai jollei muunlaiseen menettelyyn ole erityisiä perusteita."

https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/ ... 0661#L4P29

duygu

Post by duygu » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:40 am

Thanks everyone!! Finally Migri answered him and said it is not necessary. I don't really understand why they decided to ask it from him in the first place as we wouldn't be able to register our marriage anyways if he had a pending divorce case or something. And also when we were getting married he had got the paper proving his capacity to marry. Anyways, thanks everyone for the help!

fintel

Post by fintel » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:44 am

duygu wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:40 am
Thanks everyone!! Finally Migri answered him and said it is not necessary. I don't really understand why they decided to ask it from him in the first place as we wouldn't be able to register our marriage anyways if he had a pending divorce case or something. And also when we were getting married he had got the paper proving his capacity to marry. Anyways, thanks everyone for the help!
Since this is the THIRD MARRIAGE, as a visa officer I would suspect some fishy business going on, especially if the two previous marriages were also foreigners and had their resident permit sponsored. You are usually only ever allowed to SPONSOR YOUR WIFE ONCE in your life time. If this is the third sponsorship, you are out of luck.
Image ulkomaalaisella henkilöä

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:20 pm

fintel wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:44 am
duygu wrote:
Since this is the THIRD MARRIAGE, as a visa officer I would suspect some fishy business going on, especially if the two previous marriages were also foreigners and had their resident permit sponsored. You are usually only ever allowed to SPONSOR YOUR WIFE ONCE in your life time. If this is the third sponsorship, you are out of luck.
Such a suspicion would still not require to ask for a copy of the divorce papers.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:21 pm

fintel wrote:
You are usually only ever allowed to SPONSOR YOUR WIFE ONCE in your life time.
There is no such rule.

fintel

Post by fintel » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:39 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:21 pm
fintel wrote:
There is no such rule.
Oh yes no such rule but only common sense,

Third wife huh, hmm, while you are at it... why not pre-arrange your FORTH wife as well and give migri heads up on that for the next year.

duygu

Post by duygu » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:37 pm

fintel wrote:
duygu wrote:

Well, to be honest I don't understand how you make assumptions knowing nothing about his life. Don't worry, they were not both foreigners and Migri already asked him the reason for divorces, for which he had a really solid reason. I am not trying to go to Finland to get money from Kela. I am trying to go there to be with my husband.

duygu

Post by duygu » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:07 pm

fintel wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:39 pm
betelgeuse wrote:
fintel wrote:
There is no such rule.

Third wife huh, hmm, while you are at it... why not pre-arrange your FORTH wife as well and give migri heads up on that for the next year.
Oh well, he didn't have a serious relationship for the last 7 years so I guess he is not that good at this sponsorship business you assume he is dealing with.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:07 am

fintel wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:39 pm
betelgeuse wrote:
fintel wrote:
There is no such rule.

Not common sense, rather a double standard.

Aren't you currently in a divorce after your marriage failed?
Wasn't this marriage the reason that you are allowed to live in Finland on unemployment benefits paid from Finnish taxes?

fintel

Post by fintel » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:27 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:07 am

Not common sense, rather a double standard.

Aren't you currently in a divorce after your marriage failed?
Wasn't this marriage the reason that you are allowed to live in Finland on unemployment benefits paid from Finnish taxes?
I am sensing feminism kicking into the topic.

There is no man vs woman competition of failed marriages going on here, I am only stating facts. My wife or soon be ex-wife is not looking to sponsor a second, third or fourth husband and if she did, she would be met with the same skepticism from migri. Usually one failed marriage is enough for most people. Dealing with immigration matters myself for many years I know for a fact that 2nd and 3rd marriages are seen with a bit of suspicion. On UK visa applications, there is an explicit question whether the sponsor has previously sponsored anyone else into the country. UK atleast rejects such applications very frequently. So take my advice as I am only trying to help you.

Also, I am not on any unemployment benefit, I own a rather successful business here. I was inquiring on behalf of someone else. And if there were ever a question of who pays how much taxes, I can assure you that I pay more than the average Finnish citizen.
Last edited by fintel on Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

fintel

Post by fintel » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:43 am

duygu wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:37 pm
Well, to be honest I don't understand how you make assumptions knowing nothing about his life. Don't worry, they were not both foreigners and Migri already asked him the reason for divorces, for which he had a really solid reason. I am not trying to go to Finland to get money from Kela. I am trying to go there to be with my husband.
It's not a judgement on his character or your relationship.

Second or third marriage just raises suspicion in the eyes of migri. Take for example, someone can make it a business bringing foreigners into the country and start charging 50,000 EUR per person for this service. Make a trip to South Sudan every year and make a good buck to bring a new husband then get divorced and repeat the same process. Maybe it doesn't happen that much in Finland but surely it has happened in the UK and other countries. I was only mentioning it so you can cover your bases, allow yourself to prepare your case better.

There was a recent question by someone who was handicapped and asked a migration related question and I told them to NOT advertise their disability. This was not to insult them or make them feel bad about themselves because Migri can easily deny a disabled person a resident permit for exactly that reason that they are disabled. Your disability doesn't help you.

Ever tried to obtain a Canadian ETA (Electronic Tourist Visa) ? There are explicit questions regarding your health and criminal history. Shoplifted a lollipop when you were 7 years old and mommy paid a fine? Guess what YOU CANNOT GO TO CANADA.. EVER!!

Anyone who tells you that dealing with immigration is going to be a hunky-dory happy business IS LYING TO YOU. You need to prepare a good case, show evidence of "LOVE" or deal with APPEALS COURT from ACROSS THE OCEAN in your own country when the RP is refused. That's not fun at all is it, so why not listen to my advice and prepare a good case from the beginning? Not trying to discourage you, only telling you to prepare.

Attach photos of any vacations together, wedding, birthday photos, and photos of your dog and your neighbor and love letters if you have them. I AM GENUINELY IN LOVE is what you need to show.

I am surprised that they are actually asking for divorce papers, because migri has access to maistraatti records and can easily look into this and they haven't. That right there is a sign of reluctance on part of migri.

Anyways, good luck!
Last edited by fintel on Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:33 am, edited 3 times in total.