Does RP extension application advance at all before the visit to Migri?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
diegamel

Post by diegamel » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:07 pm

We just applied for my spouse's 2nd extension. This time we are doing it in Helsinki, first time. I was surprised to see that the queue for going to do the compulsory meeting at Migri is over 2 months, while at our previous place of residence we were able to get the meeting scheduled within a couple of weeks.

Does anyone know whether having done this meeting actually affects the handling time? Does the process move forward only after one has been to the meeting?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

jarikaija

Re: Does RP extension application advance at all before the visit to Migri?

Post by jarikaija » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:51 am

diegamel wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:07 pm
We just applied for my spouse's 2nd extension. This time we are doing it in Helsinki, first time. I was surprised to see that the queue for going to do the compulsory meeting at Migri is over 2 months, while at our previous place of residence we were able to get the meeting scheduled within a couple of weeks.

Does anyone know whether having done this meeting actually affects the handling time? Does the process move forward only after one has been to the meeting?
TIP!

If done by ONLINE and identified by bank account method and passport pictures taken electronically with picture code,
it is possible, that you don't need to visit migri at all! Otherwise it requires visiting migri, before anything else happends...

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:00 am

jarikaija wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:51 am
TIP!

If done by ONLINE and identified by bank account method and passport pictures taken electronically with picture code,
it is possible, that you don't need to visit migri at all! Otherwise it requires visiting migri, before anything else happends...
And if fingerprints do not need to be taken.

diegamel

Post by diegamel » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:42 pm

jarikaija wrote:
diegamel wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:07 pm

TIP!

This sounds odd to me, because then someone could technically be staying long-term anywhere in Schengen area, and just do the application from there online... isn't the whole point of the Migri visit to show that the person is actually here?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:49 pm

diegamel wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:42 pm
This sounds odd to me, because then someone could technically be staying long-term anywhere in Schengen area, and just do the application from there online... isn't the whole point of the Migri visit to show that the person is actually here?
A Finnish RP does not give you the right to do that. If the purpose of the visit was to verify physical presence, it would need to be spelled out in legislation.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:14 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:00 am
jarikaija wrote:
TIP!

Why would they need to be taken for a 2nd extension?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:24 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:14 pm
betelgeuse wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:00 am
I don't find it interesting enough to research why the Aliens Act says so but maybe someone else does.

fintel

Post by fintel » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:20 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:14 pm
I think is done to ensure that it is the same person who is continuing to live in the country applied for the permit (and not your twin brother or an identity thief for example). The applicant could be dead during the time it takes to get a 2nd extension and some criminal could get hold of their resident permit and keep extending it. Fingerprinting ensures the integrity of your identity and the continuity of the case.

In Canada there have been cases where someone got temporary status and skipped the country through a land border into USA. Lived in America for the next 5 years and had two concurrent residency applications running, one in the United States and the other in Canada. Then came back to Canada and claimed their permanent resident card.
Image ulkomaalaisella henkilöä

fintel

Post by fintel » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:44 am

diegamel wrote:
If you have a pending resident permit application in Finland and your previous permit or visa is expired, you cannot leave Finland and move to a different schengen country. If you cross the border into Sweden, that's illegal border crossing and subject to the border guard detaining the person.

Also if you have a valid Finland resident permit, you can only stay outside of Finland in another schengen country for 90 days max. This 90 day period starts when you leave Finland. It is hard to enforce inside the schengen zone but once your presence is registered in the alternate country (let's say you got pulled over for a traffic offence in Germany) your 90 day period starts in that country. If you are found to have stayed in Germany beyond the 90 days, you can be deported back to Finland or worse.
Image ulkomaalaisella henkilöä

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:28 am

And let's not forget if you use air travel or boat to leave Finland information is registered by the operators using API so technically authorities have the possibility to find where you are.

jarikaija

Post by jarikaija » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:29 am

diegamel wrote:
This sounds odd to me...
https://migri.fi/en/article/-/asset_pub ... upisteessa

diegamel

Post by diegamel » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:46 am

jarikaija wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:29 am
diegamel wrote:
This sounds odd to me...
Thanks a lot, this is very helpful to understand the situation!

When we clicked the banking credentials option, it seemed to us that using the banking credentials was not a possibility without creating a completely new account at EnterFinland, so we submitted my spouse's application with the previous normal account that was created during the first processes. So it seems we missed this chance (already paid).

I wonder should we in the future just create the new account with the bank credentials, or what? Can they merge them with the old one?

Before anyone says I should just ask Migri: I have been calling them dozens of times on the general customer service number yesterday and today, and it does not even let me queue up despite their website claiming the general number has a queue option. Just says there is too much traffic and cuts the call :)

jarikaija

Post by jarikaija » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:02 pm

diegamel wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:46 am
jarikaija wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:29 am
diegamel wrote:
This sounds odd to me...

When we clicked the banking credentials option, it seemed to us that using the banking credentials was not a possibility without creating a completely new account at EnterFinland, so we submitted my spouse's application with the previous normal account that was created during the first processes. So it seems we missed this chance (already paid).
No need to create a new... There is a selection "change to strong....", when pushing menu button on upper left corner.
When done, it goes away...

So, have to login first with email address and after that select that option from menu. After all done, you can not
use email login anymore...

That have to be done BEFORE starting/payment a new application.

diegamel

Post by diegamel » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:24 pm

jarikaija wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:02 pm
diegamel wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:46 am

No need to create a new... There is a selection "change to strong....", when pushing menu button on upper left corner.
When done, it goes away...

So, have to login first with email address and after that select that option from menu. After all done, you can not
use email login anymore...

That have to be done BEFORE starting/payment a new application.
Oh darn, thank you.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:38 pm

tavastia wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:28 am
And let's not forget if you use air travel or boat to leave Finland information is registered by the operators using API so technically authorities have the possibility to find where you are.
Not for Schengen flights.