Tourist Visa to RP

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
vixman

Tourist Visa to RP

Post by vixman » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:27 am

Hi
My girlfriend is applying for her masters degree in Tampere next year. The intake is in August, 2020. Is there any possibility that she could visit Finland beforehand (before 2-3 months) from her tourist visa and then apply for the residence permit. We will be getting a decision from the university during those months. I need to know whether we could use the Tampere Migri service centre as our service centre after applying. :shock: :shock:
Thank you.

Tourist Visa to RP

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

fintel

Re: Tourist Visa to RP

Post by fintel » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:13 am

vixman wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:27 am
Hi
My girlfriend is applying for her masters degree in Tampere next year. The intake is in August, 2020. Is there any possibility that she could visit Finland beforehand (before 2-3 months) from her tourist visa and then apply for the residence permit. We will be getting a decision from the university during those months. I need to know whether we could use the Tampere Migri service centre as our service centre after applying. :shock: :shock:
Thank you.
Tourist visa is for tourism. When you apply for a tourist visa you declare to the Finnish embassy that you are going to go sight seeing and then go back to your home country. That you will not over stay your welcome. Changing your status from tourist visa to anything else is always frowned upon.

With your solution you will introduce too many complications. University decision could be negative or late, causing your tourist visa to expire before you can meet with Migri. OR Migri decision could be negative because you don't meet the requirements.

Best to apply for a Visa D from your own country and then apply for a resident permit once here. That's the proper way.
Image ulkomaalaisella henkilöä

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:22 pm

vixman wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:27 am
My girlfriend is applying for her masters degree in Tampere next year. The intake is in August, 2020. Is there any possibility that she could visit Finland beforehand (before 2-3 months) from her tourist visa and then apply for the residence permit. We will be getting a decision from the university during those months.
I think this is possible also for a student RP, but better check with Migri.

quillcentaur

Post by quillcentaur » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:38 am

Not sure about Student Residence Permit specifically, but yes it's true they always recommend to apply for RP outside Finland. But it's still legal to do it inside Finland. Many have done it. Me included. It's also on immigration website.

Also, tricky to go out of Finland while RP application is pending ( can take 9 months +...)

I'm still waiting for my RP here. Now we can't buy travel tickets yet because no idea when will my RP pop up.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:08 pm

quillcentaur wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:38 am
Not sure about Student Residence Permit specifically, but yes it's true they always recommend to apply for RP outside Finland. But it's still legal to do it inside Finland. Many have done it. Me included. It's also on immigration website.

Also, tricky to go out of Finland while RP application is pending ( can take 9 months +...)

I'm still waiting for my RP here. Now we can't buy travel tickets yet because no idea when will my RP pop up.
It’s always legal to apply. However, not everyone is eligible to eventually get the permit. Students should give justification on why they satisfy the in Finland criteria.

quillcentaur

Post by quillcentaur » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:14 pm

I didn't know there is criteria? Can you link?

Actually just looked at migri quickly, OP. There's a form for people applying inside finland for Student RP. So I guess this means you can do it.
https://migri.fi/en/residence-permit-ap ... or-studies
It's this: Form MP_1 (if you already are in Finland and apply for your first residence permit)

It's the same form I had to answer. They didn't really ask me why I'm applying in Finland or anything like that.

Also, another link: https://migri.fi/en/article/-/asset_pub ... heet-osa-2

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:10 pm

quillcentaur wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:14 pm
I didn't know there is criteria? Can you link?
Section 49 of the Aliens Act

https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/kaannokse ... 040301.pdf

vixman

Post by vixman » Wed May 13, 2020 2:36 pm

What about form MP 1 is there anyone who has answered it as a student. Let me know please