Any Tips for Moving to Finland?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
miguelpikons

Post by miguelpikons » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:28 pm

I'm a male who'm recently turned 18, having just secured a job here in ND, USA. I've been contemplating to move to somewhere in Europe since I was in elementary school, and after some research, I've decided Finland would likely be the best for me. Unfortunately, I'm am very naive on the subject of moving abroad and have a few questions:

How hard is it to learn Finnish, and where should I start? I have a friend currently living in Finland whom will likely help me in the matter, but I believe it's best that I do independent study so I am not to bother him too much.

How much will I need to save? The cost of living where I am is low, enough to where one can survive off of a minimum wage job. Thankfully, mine will pay slightly more. I'm looking at maybe 3-6 months of being able to support myself while I look for a job, not including travel costs/passport.

How hard is it to obtain a visa/citizenship? Other than having to know Finnish or Swedish and being there some number of months, I am very unknowledgeable on this subject.

Should I renounce my US citizenship? I would prefer to have no ties of the states after I leave, however I do realize there is some benefits, and some cons, to remaining a citizen.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

rinso

Re: Any Tips for Moving to Finland?

Post by rinso » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:19 am

miguelpikons wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:28 pm
I'm a male who'm recently turned 18, having just secured a job here in ND, USA. I've been contemplating to move to somewhere in Europe since I was in elementary school, and after some research, I've decided Finland would likely be the best for me. Unfortunately, I'm am very naive on the subject of moving abroad and have a few questions:

How hard is it to learn Finnish, and where should I start? I have a friend currently living in Finland whom will likely help me in the matter, but I believe it's best that I do independent study so I am not to bother him too much.

How much will I need to save? The cost of living where I am is low, enough to where one can survive off of a minimum wage job. Thankfully, mine will pay slightly more. I'm looking at maybe 3-6 months of being able to support myself while I look for a job, not including travel costs/passport.

How hard is it to obtain a visa/citizenship? Other than having to know Finnish or Swedish and being there some number of months, I am very unknowledgeable on this subject.

Should I renounce my US citizenship? I would prefer to have no ties of the states after I leave, however I do realize there is some benefits, and some cons, to remaining a citizen.
Most of your questions could be answered here: viewforum.php?f=11

But my personal opinion is; you're not ready for it. So don't do it.
Finland is a great country but you need to be able to deal with situations on your own. If you do not even do a google search to find the basic information, .......

paintballsean

Post by paintballsean » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:43 am

Honestly, Finland is amazing and do not let those tell you what you're not ready for. I suggest visiting there and getting an idea though what it's like. You will find yourself getting people saying do not do it but I just let them wallow in there own thoughts. There are free basic Finnish language courses and learning a language is a good idea.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:59 pm

paintballsean wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:43 am
Honestly, Finland is amazing and do not let those tell you what you're not ready for. I suggest visiting there and getting an idea though what it's like. You will find yourself getting people saying do not do it but I just let them wallow in there own thoughts. There are free basic Finnish language courses and learning a language is a good idea.
Visiting will be a holiday and won't give right picture. If and when op wants to stay over three months, he will need a reason. Like work, studies or husband/wife...
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:04 am

miguelpikons wrote:
I'm a male who'm recently turned 18, having just secured a job here in ND, USA. I've been contemplating to move to somewhere in Europe since I was in elementary school, and after some research, I've decided Finland would likely be the best for me. Unfortunately, I'm am very naive on the subject of moving abroad
Countries in Europe are quire diverse, like in the ND being different from Alaska or Hawaii.
People from the US often expect the rest of the world to be similar to the US and then have problems to adapt when moving elsewhere.
miguelpikons wrote:
How hard is it to learn Finnish, and where should I start?
Have you ever learned a foreign language and how long did it take you?
miguelpikons wrote:
I'm looking at maybe 3-6 months of being able to support myself while I look for a job,
You are allowed to stay in Europe (Schengen) for 90 days.
After 90 days you would become an illegal alien.
You do not have an automatic right to live or even work anywhere outside the US.
If you would get a job offered in Finland you would have to wait 4 months for the decision whether you will receive a Residence Permit for this job. You can start working after this has been granted.
miguelpikons wrote:
On what basis would you apply for a Residence Permit?
There is not much demand for additional unskilled labour, and definitely not without fluent FInnish.
People from countries like Mexico, USA or India all get the same treatment when applying for jobs and Residence Permits in Finland.
miguelpikons wrote:
You are not allowed to renounce your citizenship since this would make you stateless.
Acquiring a foreign citizenship is similar to foreigners acquiring US citizenship.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:28 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:04 am
You do not have an automatic right to live or even work anywhere outside the US.
Incorrect. US citizens have the right to live and work in Svalbard.

paintballsean

Post by paintballsean » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:57 am

betelgeuse wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:28 am
FinlandGirl wrote:
technically everyone but its not really a way to get needed medical care and citizenship sadly

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:14 pm

paintballsean wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:57 am
betelgeuse wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:28 am
FinlandGirl wrote:
technically everyone
Only citizens of countries that are parties to the Svalbard Treaty.

fintel

Post by fintel » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:38 pm

miguelpikons wrote:
I've decided Finland would likely be the best for me.
How have you decided that? Why Finland?

From purely a migrants perspective, your options to move to Europe should also include Germany, Spain, Sweden, Italy, Poland etc.

Spain should be on the top of the list if you speak Spanish (many Americans can speak it). Then maybe Germany or Sweden because of more welcoming immigration laws. Sweden doesn't have a language requirement for citizenship (or didn't have it until recently).

Finland should be further down your list because of how difficult the language is to learn and because it is a requirement to become a Finnish Citizen.

The easiest way to move to one of these countries is to secure admission at a university and come as a student and later work your way up to a work permit or if you are lucky, you might find an EU partner (spouse).

Also renouncing US citizenship is probably a bad idea, I would not do it.
Image ulkomaalaisella henkilöä

rinso

Post by rinso » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:50 am

Also renouncing US citizenship is probably a bad idea, I would not do it.
There are some worldwide obligations for Americans which you could avoid this way. But I still don't know if it is worth it.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:16 am

fintel wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:38 pm
Finland should be further down your list because of how difficult the language is to learn
You should start learning Finnish.
After a start where everything looks strange you will discover that it is a language with clear rules written strictly phonetically that is easier to master than many other European languages.
fintel wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:38 pm
Then maybe Germany or Sweden because of more welcoming immigration laws.
You clearly do not have any clue.

rinso

Post by rinso » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:40 am

After a start where everything looks strange you will discover that it is a language with clear rules written strictly phonetically that is easier to master than many other European languages.
When you google "most difficult languages to learn" you'll find Finnish often near the top of many of those lists. It is estimated that it will take a year studying (25 hours/week) before you'll get to a decent level.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:54 pm

rinso wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:40 am
When you google "most difficult languages to learn" you'll find Finnish often near the top of many of those lists.
Difficulty of getting started or difficulty of reaching a decent level?
Lists with a scientific background or clickbait lists optimized for high Google ranking?
rinso wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:40 am
It is estimated that it will take a year studying (25 hours/week) before you'll get to a decent level.
For learning English it is estimated that it will take between 1000 and 1200 hours of studying before you'll get to a decent level.

jxjx2

Post by jxjx2 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:17 pm

hi everyone, im actually new to this forum. i will be applying soon for resident permit based on family ties. my wife is a finnish citizen. we got married january 2019, we have two new born babies(twins)😃. i haven’t yet legalized our marriage certificate or registered our marriage in finland. its already a year since we married in my home country. my question is if i do the legalization and send the certificate for registration to the finnish local office now irrespective of already having kids before i do so, will it have negative effect on my resident permit. im asking this question because i read online from someone who said you have to register the marriage in finland before the kids are born. pls advice me if this will be an issue as im yet to legalize and register our marriage in finland.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:40 pm

jxjx2 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:17 pm
hi everyone, im actually new to this forum. i will be applying soon for resident permit based on family ties. my wife is a finnish citizen. we got married january 2019, we have two new born babies(twins)😃. i haven’t yet legalized our marriage certificate or registered our marriage in finland. its already a year since we married in my home country. my question is if i do the legalization and send the certificate for registration to the finnish local office now irrespective of already having kids before i do so, will it have negative effect on my resident permit. im asking this question because i read online from someone who said you have to register the marriage in finland before the kids are born. pls advice me if this will be an issue as im yet to legalize and register our marriage in finland.
If anything, registering the marriage to the population register makes processing the residence permit application faster.