Any Tips for Moving to Finland?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
jxjx2

Re: Any Tips for Moving to Finland?

Post by jxjx2 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:05 pm

thanks for replying. i will do the legalisation and register the marriage in finland asap. i just want to be sure if im not too late because my wife already gave birth. to be sure it wont affect my grounds for resident permit

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

fintel

Post by fintel » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:19 pm

jxjx2 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:17 pm
if i do the legalization and send the certificate for registration to the finnish local office now irrespective of already having kids before i do so, will it have negative effect on my resident permit. im asking this question because i read online from someone who said you have to register the marriage in finland before the kids are born. pls advice me if this will be an issue as im yet to legalize and register our marriage in finland.
Your marriage abroad has no legal meaning in Finland (if it was done outside of EU or Hague convention countries) so it's better to get married (yes again) here in Finland. Takes about 1 month for the process. Also having registered as married couple in Finnish Population register will cement your resident permit application. The fact that you have kids is mostly irrelevant (unless you are using a child as family ground for resident permit).

You can try getting married abroad and go through a hell of a process to have your marriage certificate legalized and that's another way to do it.
Last edited by fintel on Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Image ulkomaalaisella henkilöä

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:59 pm

fintel wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:19 pm
Your marriage abroad has no legal meaning in Finland (if it was done outside of EU) so it's better to get married (yes again) here in Finland.
I am beginning to wonder whether you just have no clue, or are intentionally trolling by writing nonsense.

Marriages anywhere in the world that are valid under the local law of the country where the couple married are usually recognized in Finland.

jxjx2

Post by jxjx2 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:33 am

from my enquires and information from Migri, u can marry anywhere in the world you only need to legalize your marriage certificate and register it in finland.i understand this process.
what i need clarity is in such a situation whereby u married and got kids already all born in finland, but haven’t legalizes and registered the marriage in finland...my. question is, is it too late to do so??

jxjx2

Post by jxjx2 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:02 am

fintel wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:19 pm
jxjx2 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:17 pm
if i do the legalization and send the certificate for registration to the finnish local office now irrespective of already having kids before i do so, will it have negative effect on my resident permit. im asking this question because i read online from someone who said you have to register the marriage in finland before the kids are born. pls advice me if this will be an issue as im yet to legalize and register our marriage in finland.
Your marriage abroad has no legal meaning in Finland (if it was done outside of EU) so it's better to get married (yes again) here in Finland. Takes about 1 month for the process. Also having registered as married couple in Finnish Population register will cement your resident permit application. The fact that you have kids is mostly irrelevant.
i think u are very wrong. you can legalize and register your marriage in finland irrespective of where the marriage was conducted. that process is clearly stated on the migri website. i think you didn’t understand my question or maybe you intentionally didnt read it well.
[/quote]

rinso

Post by rinso » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:56 am

you have to register the marriage in finland before the kids are born.
When you're not married, you're not automatically the father.
The long delay between marriage and registration could mean a lot of extra paperwork.
The processing of your RP would probably be put on hold till everything is straitened out.

fintel

Post by fintel » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:39 am

jxjx2 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:02 am
You can legalize and register your marriage in finland irrespective of where the marriage was conducted. that process is clearly stated on the migri website.
Not entirely true. In theory yes, but not in practical.

Having lived in Finland for over 7 years and have gone through the exact same process as you and have seen many others who have done the same I can tell you that the country in which the marriage is conducted makes a huge difference. A Nordic country is better for conducting marriage ceremony than any other EU country, and an EU country is better than a non-EU country. Each of the Nordic countries (Sweden, Finland, Iceland etc) maintain population registers and the entire migration process is about having your name entered in that register. An icelandic marriage certificate is going to be easier to get legalized in Finland than a marriage certificate from a remote African country (let's call it Congo).

I have a friend who married in Thailand and his wife brought the marriage certificate to Finland to the maistraatti local office to register the marriage and it was straight up rejected because the certificate was not from an EU country. The Finnish embassy in Thailand won't legalize it either for various bureaucratic reasons.

Migri website makes it seem all very easy when it's not actually in real life. Get married in EU.

Nordic > EU > Hague Convention > Others
Last edited by fintel on Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:55 am, edited 5 times in total.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:50 am

fintel wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:39 am
I have friend who married in Thailand and his wife brought the marriage certificate to Finland to the maistraatti local office to register the marriage and it was straight up rejected because the certificate was not from an EU country. The Finnish embassy in Thailand won't legalize it either for various bureaucratic reasons.
No translation? No apostille? https://finlandabroad.fi/web/tha/avioli ... oittaminen
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

fintel

Post by fintel » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:56 am

Upphew wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:50 am
fintel wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:39 am
I have friend who married in Thailand and his wife brought the marriage certificate to Finland to the maistraatti local office to register the marriage and it was straight up rejected because the certificate was not from an EU country. The Finnish embassy in Thailand won't legalize it either for various bureaucratic reasons.
No translation? No apostille? https://finlandabroad.fi/web/tha/avioli ... oittaminen
It was translated and apostilled. maistraatti just doesn't recognize some countries for marriage. try getting married in nigeria and you will know what i mean. there was a nigerian guy here who waited 13 months for his marriage certificate to be legalized. you people seem to think that what's written on some website is the holy gospel when it's not. there are many other factors involved in migration policy and i would dare to say that racism is one of them.

fintel

Post by fintel » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:02 am

jxjx2 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:33 am
what i need clarity is in such a situation whereby u married and got kids already all born in finland, but haven’t legalizes and registered the marriage in finland...my. question is, is it too late to do so??
Marriage has nothing to do with kids. You can have kids, not have kids. You could have adopted kids. You can be bankrupt. Your wife could be in prison. You could have cancer. There could be drought in Somalia. The world could be on fire. There could be a moon landing on the same day. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

It's never "too late" to get married.
Last edited by fintel on Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

fintel

Post by fintel » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:10 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:59 pm
Marriages anywhere in the world that are valid under the local law of the country where the couple married are usually recognized in Finland.
This is not true. FinlandGirl is giving you her local Espoo fairy tale opinion.

There was a Nigerian guy here who waited 13 months to have his marriage certificate legalized and was rejected many times by Migri even after good translation and apostille. He had to hire a lawyer and take the matter to court to have his marriage recognized here in Finland.

But hey if you are a white guy from Canada, this probably doesn't apply to you.
Last edited by fintel on Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:37 am

Nigeria is not a party to The Hague convention, so it could not have been a legitimate Nigerian certificate with an Apostille.

fintel

Post by fintel » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:40 am

heretostay wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:37 am
Nigeria is not a party to The Hague convention, so it could not have been a legitimate Nigerian certificate with an Apostille.
Yes so one way to do it is go through the list of countries in the Hague convention

https://www.hcch.net/en/states/hcch-members

And get married in one of those countries (some of them don't allow you to get married on a tourist visa anyway). Fly to the Hague country and pay for your future wife to fly to that country as well. Hope and pray they allow tourists to get married. Then do the translation and apostille of your marriage certificate. Then make several rounds to the Finnish embassy and pay fees. Oh there may not be a Finnish embassy in your country! But you can always travel to the NEXT HAGUE CONVENTION COUNTRY RIGHT and find a Finnish embassy there? Then wait outside of Finland for months to have your residence permit application approved or rejected (with no access to administrative courts of Finland if you have to appeal). Migri decisions can only be appealed in local Finland courts. How fun would it be to appeal it from your favorite Hague convention country.. ? Not very fun I would imagine.

OR JUST MAKE LIFE EASY AND GET MARRIED IN FINLAND.
Last edited by fintel on Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:13 am

fintel wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:10 am
There was a Nigerian guy here who waited 13 months to have his marriage certificate legalized and was rejected many times by Migri even after good translation and apostille. He had to hire a lawyer and take the matter to court to have his marriage recognized here in Finland.
So despite all the nonsense you are spreading, the fact is that the court has confirmed that a marriage in Nigeria is recognized in Finland.

This guy did the right thing of hiring a lawyer, following your bad advice of trying to marry again a person he was already married with would have given him nothing but troubles since this is not possible for obvious reasons.

fintel

Post by fintel » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:17 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:13 am
So despite all the nonsense you are spreading, the fact is that the court has confirmed that a marriage in Nigeria is recognized in Finland.

This guy did the right thing of hiring a lawyer, following your bad advice of trying to marry again a person he was already married with would have given him nothing but troubles since this is not possible for obvious reasons.
FinlandGirl , you are a rather disrespectful brat.

Learn some manners.

Is it not easier to marry in Finland than marry in your favorite holiday country and then go through the entire court process to have your marriage certificate legalized?

Not to mention the racism that Nigerian guy had to experience hiring a lawyer and accessing the court system, pay fees, wait outside Finland for 13 months and not be able to attend court dates .. just to have his marriage legalized?

If someone was asking me advice on where to get married, the obvious answer is to get married in Finland and completely skip the legalization process.