Same sex marriage residence permit

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
paintballsean

Re: Same sex marriage residence permit

Post by paintballsean » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:04 pm

fintel wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:04 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:57 am
One problem with your suggestions is that you are not even aware where the potential problems are.

If Latvia puts your name on the list of people prohibited from entering the Schengen area, this also has to be implemented at the Finnish Schengen borders.
Trying to get a positive Residence Permit decision with an existing Schengen ban can be quite a fight, FInland cannot revoke your entry ban set by Latvia.
The problem with most of your posts is incorrect spelling.

Latvia will have no reason to put a Schengen ban on you if you have a valid resident permit application made in Finland during your short stay visit (90 days) visa validity period. That's plenty of time to fly to Finland, get married and have a pending resident permit application in Finland. Also if you have Finnish wife and kids, Finland would not be honoring it's own citizens by listening to Latvia about a potential tourist visa over stay and refusing your Finnish wife and kids access to a father or a husband.
That not the only problem with FinlandGirl she is quite mean and rude. Not a very positive individual who rather just bully others cause she can not help herself.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:28 pm

browndude wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:31 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:03 pm
browndude wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:27 pm
I would also look into seeing if an LGBT organization can advice you regarding this matter.
There is nothing special about same-sex couples here - marriage is between two people of any genders who are both not married to someone else at the time of their marriage. All requirements and benefits are the same as for opposite-sex couples.
No difference here, big difference in the OP's girlfriends country.
The only part where this could be relevant for the Finnish Residence Permit would be if there are problems with documents required for the marriage.

What happens in the OP's girlfriends country after the marriage is unrelated and depends on the country.
Other EU countries have to recognize the marriage to some extent even when there no same sex marriage in that country, places like Dubai have punishments up to the death penalty for the crime of homosexuality.

Anna.R

Post by Anna.R » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:38 am

Thanks so much for the replies, especially the two real life cases, I was so hoping for them.

I never heard of people going to another country for visa but I googled it anyway and found that they don't have any embassy or representative from the Baltic in my girlfriend's country. It is a bit small and poor country. They do have Finland's embassy so we will apply there.

There is something to worry that I just read on migri that it says spouses must be married for at least two years before moving to Finland. Does that mean after getting married in Finland, my would-be-wife would have to travel back home and we wait apart for two years?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:35 pm

Anna.R wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:38 am

There is something to worry that I just read on migri that it says spouses must be married for at least two years before moving to Finland. Does that mean after getting married in Finland, my would-be-wife would have to travel back home and we wait apart for two years?
You misunderstood.

Anna.R

Post by Anna.R » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:33 pm

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:50 pm

Anna.R wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:33 pm
I’m a bit confused too. It says here

https://migri.fi/aviopuoliso-suomen-kansalainen

https://migri.fi/en/spouse-is-a-finnish-citizen
migri wrote:Your husband or wife, your registered same-sex partner or your cohabiting partner who you have lived with for at least two years in a marriage-like relationship or with whom you have joint custody of a child is considered a spouse.
The bold text is the definition of a cohabiting partner with whom you are not in a marriage, it does not apply to the other cases.

Mackee23

Post by Mackee23 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:03 pm

Two year rule does not apply to married couples. I have a friend who married an American. She travelled to Finland and they got married and then applied for the residents permit straight away. Your spouse can stay in the country legally while they are waiting for a decision on their application. Obviously you will need to support them during that time because they don't be able to work or anything.

Mackee23

Post by Mackee23 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:16 pm

Also you seem very worried about the fact that same sex marriage is not legal in your partner's country, but remember that you do not have to notify the authorities in her country of your marriage.

When you apply for a residence permit in Finland your partner must prove their identity by showing a passport and prove that they are legally married to you. You can state on the application that the reason for moving to Finland is because same sex marriage is not legal in your partner's country.

If your marriage is legal and your relationship is legitimate, you have nothing to worry about. Finnish Immigration Service make the process pretty straightforward. When you are married your partner can complete an application online through the Enter Finland site and book an appointment at the immigration service.

browndude

Post by browndude » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:52 pm

Mackee23 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:16 pm
Also you seem very worried about the fact that same sex marriage is not legal in your partner's country, but remember that you do not have to notify the authorities in her country of your marriage.
She does not need to inform the authorities in her home country but she may need to get a certificate of no impediment to marriage from her home country. For example as stated here.

https://www.infofinland.fi/en/living-in ... check-list

I hope the OP also gets the info. directly from the official sources as well since there is a lot of info. given by some people on this forum that is less than helpful. It really is fairly straightforward so OP should not stress herself unnecessarily :)
ImageImage

paintballsean

Post by paintballsean » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:57 am

Wish the best for the OP wish i was in that situation where i had the love of my life and could apply.

Anna.R

Post by Anna.R » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:27 pm

Thank you so much :) I hope things work out

nona

Post by nona » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:04 pm

I'm a Finnish citizen married to an non Finn. We're not a same sex couple, but as a fellow queer, I want to help you out :) Most things got covered by the others, but along the lines of the affidavit of nonimpediment...

If a document proving she is not already married is available as a legal doc from her country (if married before, divorce proof as well), that needs to be LEGALIZED in her country. As do any other relevant documents for the residence permit like her birth certificate. In my hubby's case he needed to get his docs apostilled in his country. So Finland recognizes them as legal docs.

If her country doesn't provide marital status documents, she needs to appear at her country's embassy in Finland to make an affidavit, basically show up with relevant docs if any and swear she can legally marry you in Finland. Triple check migri and maistraatti. Trust them over any forums.

Best of wishes! Immigrating is a daunting task, just make extra sure you have all the paperwork you need.

Mackee23

Post by Mackee23 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:16 am

browndude wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:52 pm
Mackee23 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:16 pm
Also you seem very worried about the

She does not need to inform the authorities in her home country but she may need to get a certificate of no impediment to marriage from her home country. For example as stated here.

https://www.infofinland.fi/en/living-in ... check-list

I find the certificate of marriage status so weird. I have never heard of such a thing. In the UK we would be able to show proof that you are married or divorced, but I have never heard of the government providing proof that you were single. That would be very hard to obtain for a British person.

Just elope in New York, none of this stuff is necessary :)

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:58 am

Mackee23 wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:16 am
In the UK we would be able to show proof that you are married or divorced, but I have never heard of the government providing proof that you were single. That would be very hard to obtain for a British person.
You make an appointment at the British embassy in Helsinki, pay £50 and choose between making an oath with your hand on a bible or a non-religious affirmation.